SHO Competition AI

Misc SHO Competition AI V14

Login or Register an account to download this content
Shovas updated SHO Competition AI with a new update entry:

[Update] Status of V13-test1 and V12 recommendation for normal use

For the record, I recommend V12 to anyone not interested in testing out uncertain things, as is the case with the latest V13-test1 release.

As for status, I'm currently frustrated as some tracks performance were really thrown off by the tweaks I had to make in V13-test1.

Just currently letting it sit and hoping for energy and inspiration to get back at it.

Read the rest of this update entry...

hi Shovas! Your mod looks fantastic and you really did a huge awesome work!

I like GTR2 so much and have played it for years since release! One of the my main problems with GTR2 AI is that sometimes AI seems suddenly to stop seeing my car and push me out of the track. Most of the time AI drive fairly but there are some cases when AI do idiotic mistakes and ram into my car without any reason. it looks like that AI become blind sometimes. Do you know how to fix this issue?

hi Shovas! Your mod looks fantastic and you really did a huge awesome work!

I like GTR2 so much and have played it for years since release! One of the my main problems with GTR2 AI is that sometimes AI seems suddenly to stop seeing my car and push me out of the track. Most of the time AI drive fairly but there are some cases when AI do idiotic mistakes and ram into my car without any reason. it looks like that AI become blind sometimes. Do you know how to fix this issue?
Glad to hear you're enjoying it!

There's so many AI variables to play with, including aggression levels, that could play into this.

Can you provide more details about the scenarios were they are hitting you? Are they hitting you from behind in a braking zone? Are they hitting you in a corner from the inside line so you get pushed out? What's happening when they hit you?

I certainly plan to tackle things like this eventually just a matter of getting there.

Glad to hear you're enjoying it!

There's so many AI variables to play with, including aggression levels, that could play into this.

Can you provide more details about the scenarios were they are hitting you? Are they hitting you from behind in a braking zone? Are they hitting you in a corner from the inside line so you get pushed out? What's happening when they hit you?

I certainly plan to tackle things like this eventually just a matter of getting there.
both scenarios...hitting me from behind and in a corner...it seems that AI sometimes is so determined to keep own racing line that it refuses to see my car. when they hit me I lost control of my car.
Main thing that I like so much to play multiclass racing with different classes of cars. I like to fight and defend my position against faster cars. So I brake earlier than my contenders

Last edited:
both scenarios...hitting me from behind and in a corner...it seems that AI sometimes is so determined to keep own racing line that it refuses to see my car. when they hit me I lost control of my car.
Main thing that I like so much to play multiclass racing with different classes of cars. I like to fight and defend my position against faster cars. So I brake earlier than my contenders
Good info to have. I'll eventually tackle these things in future releases.

I only tested (extensively) Zhuhai with the Lister Storm (against other Lister Storms) and this was fine for me (7 laps race).
Thanks for testing, much appreciated!

My conumdrum with V13-test1 is I threw off RaceRatio while tuning Composure and the consequence would be having to re-tune RaceRatio for every track and variation.

So, I'm letting it sit until some inspiration hits.

But if it's enjoyable to anyone then do enjoy! :)

Thanks for testing, much appreciated!

My conumdrum with V13-test1 is I threw off RaceRatio while tuning Composure and the consequence would be having to re-tune RaceRatio for every track and variation.

So, I'm letting it sit until some inspiration hits.

But if it's enjoyable to anyone then do enjoy! :)
Shovas, I think you should leverage the community in your testing efforts. I for example can always test Zhuhai for you, someone else track xyz and so on. You just make small adjustments, we test it quickly on different tracks and give you feedback.

Shovas, I think you should leverage the community in your testing efforts. I for example can always test Zhuhai for you, someone else track xyz and so on. You just make small adjustments, we test it quickly on different tracks and give you feedback.
I'd be happy to accept contributions from anyone :)

It is a rather methodical and somewhat tedious process, though. You have to go track by track, variation by variation, keeping all the variables the same, run a qualifying somewhere in the middle, then run a race and make sure the AI who qualified close to you perform like it.

Here's how I documented how I went about it in the README:

Code:
#
# 8. Testing Notes
#

Common Testing Parameters:
- 10am PRAC, 9am QUAL, 1pm RACE, AI 100/Real, 30 AI, Rainfall None (20C^)

Main Tests:
- GT 2003: Specials GT's 2003, Chrysler Viper GTS-R, Zuhai GP 2004 [PB: ...]
- GT 2004: Specials GT's 2004, Ferrari 575, Valencia GP 2004 [PB: 1:29.880]
- NGT 2003: Specials NGT's 2003, Porsche GT3-RS, Imola GP 2004 [PB: 1:51.690]
- NGT 2004: Specials NGT's 2004, Porsche GT3 RSR, Oschersleben GP 2004 [PB: 1:29.003]

Other Tests:
- G3 2003: BMW Z3 at Imola GP 2004 [PB: 1:57.826]
- G3 2004: Viper Competition Coupe at Brno GP 2004 [PB: 2:07.114]
- GT3 Cup 2003: Porsche 911 GT3 Cup at Donington GP 2004 [PB: 1:36.027]
- NGT 2003: Specials NGT's 2004, Ferrari 360 Modena, Anderstorp GP 2003 [PB: 1:33.953]

Bad:
- G2 2004: Specials G2 2004, BMW M3 GTR, Estoril GP 2004 [PB: ...] / Bad experience as each car is not BoP adjusted (balance of power)
- G2: BMW M3 GTR at Hockenheim GP 2004 [PB 1:40.468] / Bad experience as each car is not BoP adjusted (balance of power)
- G2 2003: Specials G2 2003, Chevrolet Corvette C5-R, Barcelona GP 2003 [PB: 1:41.454] / Bad BoP between cars, cars too stratisfied

Notes:
- Ferrari 550 seemed over powered. Can outpace anyone on straights and can go through corners faster.

And particularly this for RaceRatio testing:

Code:
Rules For Optimizing Location AIW Race Pace (ie. RaceRatio)
- Goal: Tune AI speed to reflect relative performance as compared to qualifying. So, for example, an AI who qualified ahead of you should be difficult to pass.
- Goal: It is okay to pass AI after Lap 1. Don't tune to the point you can't pass anybody, that's no fun. You want to allow some passing but only what's realistic. I would say +/- 5 positions movement would be realistic.
- Goal: Aim for a race pace where the user can pass between 5-10 AI after 10min in a 20min race. This isn't necessarily realistic but it does provide time and pace for good, hard battles.
- Do NOT pass first lap. Maintain position.
- Push at full race pace immediately on Lap 2
- Show no mercy: Take a gap if it's safe. For example, if an AI routinely takes a corner wide then go for the inside if you know you can do it safely.
- Don't pass under yellow as I think AI won't pass under yellow (besides passing the crashed AI(s))
- Around Lap 3 the AI seem to slow down a bit and they get competitive appropriate to their qualifying times (ie. you can keep up and try for passes)
- After Lap 6 you should have a pretty good idea of field competitiveness
- Aim to pass 1-5 AI in the first half of a 20 minute race (at least 1 for fun factor but no need to pass more if you're keeping up with a pack - that's the fun itself)
- Aim to pass up to 5 (but preferably less) AI in the last half of a 20 minute race
- Increase RaceRatio if you can pass 5-10 AI within 10 minutes of a 20 minute race
- Decrease RaceRatio if you can't even maintain your qualifying position (ignore "hero" AI that jump ahead in Lap 1, they abuse the AI like a human).
- OK: It's okay if you pass a number of AI but come up on an AI that just outpaces you and there's no way to catch up. That's realistic.

I have been picking one car/track combination, dialing in RaceRatio, then checking other cars on the same track, and if it feels decent, then repeat with a new track. That's why it's a rather long, somewhat frustrating process.

I'll happily accept RaceRatios from anyone who has done the testing.

Last edited:

Shovas,​

have you experienced that AI on some vanilla tracks are very fast and on some other tracks are slower? for example as for me AI on Imola is so fast and I can't deal with that but the same difficulty AI on Donington is way slower and far easier for me.

Last edited:

Shovas,​

have you experienced that AI on some vanilla tracks are very fast and on some other tracks are slower? for example as for me AI on Imola is so fast and I can't deal with that but the same difficulty AI on Donington is way slower and far easier for me.
Yes, absolutely, that's one thing this mod tries to solve

[Note] Next release will be licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial

The next release will be licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International.

View the full license here: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/4.0/

This license allows users to distribute, remix, adapt, and build upon the material in any medium or format, for noncommercial purposes only.

It simply requires that users give credit to the creator.

There's no drama that precipitated the license but as mods grow the risk of abuse goes up so I thought...

[Upcoming Release] V13-test2 coming soon with a much better solution

After letting V13-test1 sit for some time and space I, of course, realized I had made a dumb mistake.

Namely, I was effectively undoing the huge amount of effort that went into customizing each track's AIW RaceRatio.

The solution was still elegant, though, still a universal value applied to each track's RaceRatio but it *adjusted* rather than replaced each track's V12 custom RaceRatio by a fixed but proportional amount and so retains all the V12 work.

I've run through the 4 main car class...

[Release] SHO Competition AI V13-test2

Version 13-test2 (2022-04-15..2022-06-16)

• [RaceRatio] Finalized a solution that makes V12's RaceRatio tuning and V13-test1's Composure tuning work together nicely.
  • [License] Added Creative Commons Attribution Non-Commercial License. README updated. License details:...

[Release] SHO Competition AI V13

Version 13 (2022-06-16..2022-06-20)
  • [MOD] V13 combines and finalizes V13-test1 and V13-test2 changes. If you have V13-test2 you don't need V13.
  • [Testing] Further testing to confirm my confidence in the changes on more cars and track and to finalize V13 and prepare to move on to V14
  • [MOD] Corrected accidental copy&paste references to "SHO GTR2 XD Style SimHub Overlays"

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back