SHO Competition AI

Misc SHO Competition AI V14

Login or Register an account to download this content

Shovas

Premium
Shovas submitted a new resource:

SHO Competition AI - A GTR2 AI Mod To Increase AI Competitiveness

SHO Competition AI is a mod of various AI-related configuration parameters to achieve more realistic race performance by AI drivers resulting in more realistic, tighter, more intense racing.

This mod is not intended to help you find the right AI level for you. It's only meant to make AI competitive who qualified similarly to you to give you a close, intense race.

Specifically, the main goals include:

- Qualifying performance should more closely reflect race performance as compared to...

Read more about this resource...

Shovas updated SHO Competition AI with a new update entry:

Status and Plans

- Since rebooting SHO Competition AI I'm planning to start from basics and work from the ground up

- The good news is that will mean quick/quicker releases at least for the first few iterations while I have ideas and energy

- The bad news means it won't be optimal in all areas right from version 1

- I have future release plans, also recorded in the README, regarding improving cornering speed, AI being too nice (ie. tune in proper amount of aggression), dealing with some tracks that just...

Read the rest of this update entry...

[Release] SHO Competition AI V3

- Improved AI aggression so they're less intimidated by your movements when you're beside them and tend not to just fall behind if you pressure them when they're on an equal performance level. This was just setting AI Realism so there might be room for further improvement using Talent RCD configuration in the future.

- Investigated but no change to slow cornering as it seems to have been specific to one car/track combo which I suspect as AIW issues with driver lines

[Release] SHO Competition AI V3

- Improved AI aggression so they're less intimidated by your movements when you're beside them and tend not to just fall behind if you pressure them when they're on an equal performance level. This was just setting AI Realism so there might be room for further improvement using Talent RCD configuration in the future.

- Investigated but no change to slow cornering as it seems to have been specific to one car/track combo which I suspect as AIW issues with driver lines

A note about quick but small changes

While I'm making new releases quickly the changes might effectively amount to a single line in the PLR changing, as it was in the V3 release.

I'm doing it this way because the amount of testing required for even that change is significant and I need to make sure it's okay before I move on.

If it bothers you just ignore these updates for a while and come back in a few days or weeks and there will be more significant changes accumulated.

I suspect within a month or so I won't be releasing...

[Release] SHO Competition AI V4

- Tuned AI Composure (Talent RCD files) parameter to increase competitiveness of AI in scenarios where passing results in AI falling too far behind to be realistic. Now they fall behind less and tend to keep close for longer. Because you are faster they will fall steadily behind but at least they're not falling seconds behind immediately anymore. This isn't a perfect fix or improvement but I think it's good enough for now and I'll return to it later after tuning more areas.

[Release] SHO Competition AI V5

- Tuned UserData PLR "AI Realism" for improved sportsmanship vs Version 3's AI Realism=2.0 which resulted in AI ramming you from behind if you're too slow in a braking zone or corner more than I consider realistic.

- Tuned UserData PLR "AI to AI Collision Rate" after investigating via bisection search and finding it very difficult to tell if higher numbers (theoretically "more aware" AI thus less collisions/crashes) is actually resulting in less collisions or crashes. I did notice less than...

An update to the goals of the mod

Now that I've put a few versions out I've noticed my goals in the README are not really representative anymore, so I've rewritten them in a more general way:

- Improving obvious AI flaws on-track such as early braking, slow cornering, bad starts/first corners/first laps, and unrealistic crashes or collisions that all result in race performances that don't accurately represent qualifying performances

- Furthermore, race performance should more closely reflect qualifying performance. With...

[Preview] Fixing slow AI around Anderstorp GP 2003

- Anderstorp GP 2003 is especially broken in regards to AI qualifying fast but racing slow

- I've been testing with Specials NGT's 2004 cars

- Go ahead and qualify mid-pack in a grid of 30-ish on a default GTR2 install. Save your session after qualifying so you can return to it, below. You'll notice you can probably win the entire race easily.

- Now, apply SHO Competition AI changes, and then apply this WIP change to G:\Games\GTR2AI\GameData\Locations\Anderstorp\3Anderstorp.AIW...

[Release] SHO Competition AI V6

- Tuned Location AIW "RaceRatio" to improve AI performance so that their Race performance is more closely related to their Qualifying performance. Previously, AI who qualified better than you acted much worse in a race, resulting in passing too many and not providing good hard battles.

- Tracks tuned:

- Anderstorp GP 2003

- Valencia GP 2004

- Donington GP 2003

- This change only affects 3 tracks for now. I plan to do all the original content tracks but it will...

Thank you, I have been giving it a few test runs and it seems to work pretty well. But much more important for me, I have been carefully studying the settings you have changed and trying to learn.
Oh that's great! Always good to have more people who know how to tune the configuration.

What is your opinion of the racing so far?

Well, I often pass the Ai by putting myself right beside them into the corner, forcing them to have to go wide to avoid hitting me. With your changes, I am finding they are much faster on the entry, and it is more difficult to get up next to them. To gain on the cars in front I have to drive more consistently and slowly gain lap by lap. The Porsche though, I notice the classic rear-end breaking traction and the Ai Porsche driver slipping off the track, is still prevalent. That might be because of my plr file settings.
My hope is to get the 1967 f1 Mod working much better, so I quickly tried copying your talent file settings into the Beagle.
Of course, the change was subtle and I didn't get the magic fix I was hoping for. The f1 legends cars have a much bigger problem in that the car setup is entirely wrong for GTR2 So I'm just going to have to change the setups until the Ai can power slide a car.

[Release] SHO Competition AI V7

- Continued tuning Location AIW "RaceRatio" to improve AI performance so that their Race performance is more closely related to their Qualifying performance. Previously, AI who qualified better than you acted much worse in a race, resulting in passing too many and not providing good hard battles.

- Tracks tuned:

- Barcelona GP 2003

- Zuhai GP 2004

- Brno GP 2003

- Again, the key change that you will notice on track is that it is MUCH more difficult to pass...

It could be used for non-original content but it may not be tuned optimally for them so your mileage may vary.

The only situation where it wouldn't work *completely* so far is non-original tracks.

The UserData PLR changes are global and affect everything.

The Talent RCD changes apply to all original and non-original content except for mods that bring in their own RCD files. I find it's a minority of car and track mods that include their own RCD files.

The Location AIW changes only apply to original content so if you have track mods then they wouldn't be tuned obviously.

So, these changes do affect non-original content except for non-original tracks and talent, so you might get a good experience but also maybe not since these changes haven't been tuned for that content.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back