PC1 Shimmering, wavy road surface - gfx setting problem

Hi
I've got pCARS running reasonably well (60 to 100 fps depending on conditions) and looking quite good, with high and medium settings, on my system (triples with 780 sli).

But the road surface can sometimes have a weird, wavy, shimmering aspect that's off putting. It's not always there: It's worse when it's sunny/clear and will be better or worse depending on the angle of the road to my (virtual) eyes. On some tracks I don't see it at all, on others it's so bad I'll stop using it.

Any tips? I can't afford to turn up AA that much. Currently, I've got my AA settings at (I think) MSAA and one of the others (can't remember, not at my PC now).

• Deleted member 113561

Could you post a pic here plz :D

And i recommend posting this issue in the offical PCARS Forum

I'm using MSAA and SMAA (low)
Edit: I've started using SMAA (medium). Doesn't seem to improve the wavy road texture problem

SMAA will have some pixelation (as will MSAA). The two combined will create more of it. Originally, the plan was to remove MSAA modes since they are problematic, but they were kept to help with some systems which may not be able to handle other modes. Try using FXAA instead of SMAA. It should reduce the pixel crawling.

FWIW, I can't remember if you have to enable that in the NVidia control panel or not for the in-game setting to work. I use DS2X and FXAA (low).

SMAA will have some pixelation (as will MSAA). The two combined will create more of it. Originally, the plan was to remove MSAA modes since they are problematic, but they were kept to help with some systems which may not be able to handle other modes. Try using FXAA instead of SMAA. It should reduce the pixel crawling.

FWIW, I can't remember if you have to enable that in the NVidia control panel or not for the in-game setting to work. I use DS2X and FXAA (low).
Thanks for your help. Tried FXAA though, didn't work.
This is weird.
Maybe nvidia inspector would help

What a hassle it is having to restart the game for every gfx setting change!

Last edited:

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 87 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 123 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 171 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 331 28.1%
  • 100% offline racing