Shifter buttons map to keyboard

In just about every game on the face of the planet, I map the sequential shifter to the keyboard. More specifically the + and - keys (= and - to be exact), then I use Xpadder and I map my T500 wheel paddles to those keys and my DSD sequential shifter.

That allows me to use either my paddles or my stick sequential without having to remap anything or exit the game, create a new profile, etc.

But not with AC. The "Shifter" screen will simply not recognize a keyboard input, only a controller input.
I have the Keyboard screen mapped properly, but in game pressing the keyboard if one has a controller mapped is not possible.

I even unmapped my paddles from the wheel controller so they would have no buttons or keys mapped, just the keyboard, and that too didn't work. I go on track and nothing happens.

I have X-padder, but apparently as powerful as it is, it is not able to map buttons to another controller. I know there is some freeware that would allow me to do that, but it's another program I'd have to open just for AC.

Is this a "feature" in AC or a bug? And while I am at it, why does the game choose the type of shifter for me? What if I wasn't to use a paddle shifter with my Fiat 500 or a H shifter with my McLaren?

I thought I was smarter than any of these games, but evidently I am not. Can anyone help?

In just about every game on the face of the planet, I map the sequential shifter to the keyboard. More specifically the + and - keys (= and - to be exact), then I use Xpadder and I map my T500 wheel paddles to those keys and my DSD sequential shifter.

That allows me to use either my paddles or my stick sequential without having to remap anything or exit the game, create a new profile, etc.

But not with AC. The "Shifter" screen will simply not recognize a keyboard input, only a controller input.
I have the Keyboard screen mapped properly, but in game pressing the keyboard if one has a controller mapped is not possible.

I even unmapped my paddles from the wheel controller so they would have no buttons or keys mapped, just the keyboard, and that too didn't work. I go on track and nothing happens.

I have X-padder, but apparently as powerful as it is, it is not able to map buttons to another controller. I know there is some freeware that would allow me to do that, but it's another program I'd have to open just for AC.

Is this a "feature" in AC or a bug? And while I am at it, why does the game choose the type of shifter for me? What if I wasn't to use a paddle shifter with my Fiat 500 or a H shifter with my McLaren?

I thought I was smarter than any of these games, but evidently I am not. Can anyone help?

First off as its been mentioned plenty of times before AC is still in development and not all features exist or are functional. Controller options have been kept as simple as possible to eliminate variables. The reason it chooses which type of shifting method to use is because it uses the type the real car uses in real life. Many modern supercars such as the 12c are not available with a h pattern shifter.

First off as its been mentioned plenty of times before AC is still in development and not all features exist or are functional. Controller options have been kept as simple as possible to eliminate variables. The reason it chooses which type of shifting method to use is because it uses the type the real car uses in real life. Many modern supercars such as the 12c are not available with a h pattern shifter.
I realize AC is in development, I didn't mean it to sound like I was complaining about AC, as I am complaining more about my inability not figure out how to map my controller properly.

As far as AC forcing you to use a certain shifter with a certain car, I am well aware that some cars don't come with a manual, but kost sims do give us a way to use a H pattern on a modern supercar if we want to because it really costs them nothing, In fact, AC had to code this behavior into the game.

What was really puzzling is why it would not read my keyboard at all. Does it mean that once a controller is mapped the keyboard no longer works?

Tom has the right idea. I have checked everywhere but I couldn't find a way to make the game read the keyboard. I guess I'll look in the INI file and see if there is anything there.

Thank you

There's is a checkbox to enable in the keyboard section of the "controllers" menu, that enable keyboard input using a controller, i if i can remember well - or at least it was there in previous versions, i didn't check recently. I have do the same thing with the sequential shifter of my g25 and paddles, so i can confirm you that is possibile to use (or at least, it was..)

Hope my english is readable :)

I realize AC is in development, I didn't mean it to sound like I was complaining about AC, as I am complaining more about my inability not figure out how to map my controller properly.

As far as AC forcing you to use a certain shifter with a certain car, I am well aware that some cars don't come with a manual, but kost sims do give us a way to use a H pattern on a modern supercar if we want to because it really costs them nothing, In fact, AC had to code this behavior into the game.

What was really puzzling is why it would not read my keyboard at all. Does it mean that once a controller is mapped the keyboard no longer works?

Tom has the right idea. I have checked everywhere but I couldn't find a way to make the game read the keyboard. I guess I'll look in the INI file and see if there is anything there.

Thank you
It still works to use the keyboard to turn on/off ABS and TC right?

Personally I have a g25 and have the same issue of having to swich controls around depending on h, flappy paddle, or sequential. To make it easier I have just saved different controller profiles within the game. Its not a perfect system but it works.

I'm not sure if the inability to choose methods per car has more to do with sim purisim or removing variables from the game. Personally I look at it as if its going to be a sim it shouldnt let me do something I cant in real life, like drive a 458 with a H pattern shifter. Just my opinion though...

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 290 15.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 195 10.4%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 195 10.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 142 7.5%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 251 13.3%