Shift up / down buttons not working correctly

Guys, I have finished my sequential 'gearbox', which essentially uses two microswitches, nothing complicated. However, in both Assetto Corsa and Automobilista, when I try to use it as a sequential box, it only holds the gear while the lever is holding the microswitch. The moment I let go the gear goes to neutral.

I've checked that I have set the buttons as 'gear up' and 'gear down' and am a bit perplexed that it is not working correctly in two different games. In the old rFactor you had to select 'hold button for gear' for an H pattern shift, but a) there appears to be no option on either of these games for that as they assign specific buttons for gears and b) I am assigning them to 'gear up' and 'gear down'.

My H pattern shift works perfectly

Any words of wisdom very gratefully received!

Cheers

Les

I solved it.

Basically it was a couple of switches wired to a Leo Bodnar 64 button controller. I must have been tired when I finished up last night because when I checked on the USB game controller properties to make sure the switches were recognised, I missed that as the switch disconnected, it activated the one next to it for a microsecond. As 'shift up' was set to button 1 and 'shift down' was set to button 2, the in game configurator accepted the assignment as they were the first button pressed; in game, as you change gear, the fact that the opposite button is momentarily activated as you release the lever means that if you had changed up, releasing the lever actually selected change down, negating the gear change.

It turns out that this is a glitch with the Leo Bodnar board, and after flashing the firmware of the board it is all fine.

The only issue that I have now is that the feel of the lever is too slack for my liking, I definitely need to give it some more weight. The Hayabusa engined Radical I drive as Yas Marina a few years back had a nice meaty feel to it when changing that really felt great. Not sue how I am going to achieve that without going back to the drawing board on my gearshift.

Many thanks again to all who took the time to check this out and for the help - hopefully this is good information for someone

Cheers

Les

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back