SHH Shifter review

I've been using the SHH Newt shifter for over a year now, and I want to report my excellent experience so far! For $110, this is by far the best value that you will find for a dual-mode shifter.

1637945839241.png

Bottom Line Up Front: This is the only shifter with both H-pattern and sequential modes AND 7-speed option that you can get for less than $200.

Pros:
+H-pattern and Sequential shifting modes
+Quick change between shifting modes (takes 2 seconds)
+Optional plate for 7-speed or 6-speed shifting shifting
+Plug and Play, no drivers needed.
+Well designed mount, with other options available
+Rugged and reliable
+Comes with 2 handles, one for H-shifting and one for sequential
+Best value on the market ($110 net, $137 shipped to US)

Cons:
-"shift feedback/feel" exists, but could be better

Details:

As noted above, if you're look for a versatile shifter that includes both H-pattern and sequential modes, and has 7-speed shifting, you will not find a better deal out there! This shifter is essentially the more affordable alternative to the Fanatec ClubSport shifter ($250) and the Thrustmaster TH8A ($200). And unlike the Thrustmaster, I cannot find any people talking about the SHH's electronics failing. Shifting modes is as easy as flipping a switch (which changes the 'button input' sent to your PC) and twisting the shift lever 90 degrees (which changes the lever's shift mode). If you want a 7-speed shifter, all you have to do is make sure you select "7 speed" when you order the shifter, and the shifter will ship with a shift plate with 8 slots instead of 7.

This shifter is constructed from rugged 3D-printed ABS plastic, which brings us to the main tradeoff. In exchange for a 'sexy' all-metal $200 shifter, you get a rugged 3D-printed alternative for $100 less. And yes, ABS plastic is rugged; google will confirm this. I jam on this shifter (I primarily use my setup for rally sims) and have had zero issues the past year. And to be fair, this shifter still looks plenty professional.

In order to write a fair review, I always try to think of one thing that needs improvement. And to be fair, there is one thing that I want to be better: the feedback. Now, having used a G920 shifter for 1.5 years, I can say that the feedback is 1000 times better than that useless mushy shift feeling you get from cheap logitech shifters. But, because both the vehicles I own have manual transmissions, I can say with certainty that this shifter just doesn't quite feel like a manual. It feels more like you're pushing the base of the lever over a bump against a spring that is trying to push the lever back to neutral. And, if lever is bumped just a bit while "in gear", will spring back to neutral. However, unlike cheap shifters, if does take at least a couple pounds of force to push the lever into gear. And the spring force can be adjusted to be weaker or stronger by turning a couple easily accessible screws (I have mine maxed out, however).

To end on a positive summary, I am absolutely pleased with this shifter. I would recommend this product to anyone who can't afford an expensive shifter, but who is ready to upgrade to a high quality and versatile shifter! It really is incredible what you get for just $110. I will probably continue using this shifter for years, and it will probably be the last thing that I replace as I slowly upgrade my race setup.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 347 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 241 10.8%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 239 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 177 7.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 299 13.4%