Resource icon

Cars Shelby Cobra 289 MOD 1.3

Login or Register an account to download this content
OldRebel submitted a new resource:

Shelby Cobra 289 MOD - An attempt to reproduce a 289 AC Cobra

I always thought that the 427 AC Cobra was such overkill that I would rather drive the original 289 version believing that the car would have better balance and be more fun to drive overall. GT Legends actually had that car and I had a blast with it.
I spent the day doing this...that's it...one day. I downloaded the original Shelby Cobra package by the_meco and pankykapus. It is truly a beautiful rendition of the 427 Cobra. I also have in my library the 1967 Sunbeam Tiger made by...

Read more about this resource...

Do you have the original modder's permissions to reupload their stuff?

Edit: Model files etc. have been removed from the download, so please disregard.

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 223075

If i remember, the mod GT Legend was ripped by "smallblockhero"

Hi. As it turns out that will be the way to do it. Download the_meco and pankykapus AC Cobra mod. Make a new folder and call it shelby_289_cobra. Copy the guts from the downloaded meco "shelby_cobra" folder and paste them into the new shelby_289_cobra folder. Delete the data.acd file. Then take the new data folder from my .6 update and paste it into the shelby_289_cobra folder. I will upload a new ui file you can use shortly.

OldRebel updated Shelby Cobra 289 MOD with a new update entry:

Shelby Cobra 289 MOD Data update

New instructions
Download the_meco and pankykapus AC Cobra mod. Make a new folder and call it shelby_289_cobra. Copy the guts from the downloaded meco "shelby_cobra" folder and paste them into the new shelby_289_cobra folder. Delete the data.acd file. Then take the new data folder from my .6 update and paste it into the shelby_289_cobra folder. Now take the downloaded modified ui file from this update and paste it into the new shelby_289_cobra folder. Done.

Read the rest of this update entry...

Cobra sound

I have hesitated to upload this sound file because I do not know the author in order to give credit. Like most of us in this hobby I have collected a great number of sound files that get transferred from mod to mod. This particular sound file really suits this 289 Cobra in my opinion so I figured I would chance uploading it. Whoever made it deserves the thanks.

Do you still have the data.acd file from 0.6 available? I have both the UI and SFX, but misplaced the original 0.6 download. You may want to have all 3 filed in one download for those who may have missed 0.6 and 0.7. Thank you.

Data Update

I was asked to re-upload the .6 data file as it had gone missing. Here is the latest incarnation. A few engine performance tweaks including changing the rev limiter to 6750. This car likes to be driven hard! By the way, I use an over-the-air internet connection and my bandwidth is small. I wanted to upload all three updates together today but it wasn't working so here is the missing data file at least.

Hello again,

I can't get it to work properly. What do we do with the data in version 0.9? I put the 0.7 and 0.6 in the right places and the sound sfx too.

Content manager gave me lots of warning about transmission power loss and some other issues.

I got the car to load and the steering was off to the right by a few degrees.

Thanks,

Ben

Do you still have the data.acd file from 0.6 available? I have both the UI and SFX, but misplaced the original 0.6 download. You may want to have all 3 filed in one download for those who may have missed 0.6 and 0.7. Thank you.
Old versions are available for download from the "Version History" tab.

Hello again,

I can't get it to work properly. What do we do with the data in version 0.9? I put the 0.7 and 0.6 in the right places and the sound sfx too.

Content manager gave me lots of warning about transmission power loss and some other issues.

I got the car to load and the steering was off to the right by a few degrees.

Thanks,

Ben

I got it working, but I didn't use anything from the 0.9 download. CM still throws up transmission power and weight issues.

What is in the 0.9? Is it a mix of the 0.6 and 0.7 files?

Thanks,

Ben

Hi. Sorry there is any confusion here. I am truly at noob at uploading and updating files to this site like this. I am not aware of any steering issue at all...the car drives better than I expected. The latest update was really just to reintroduce the main data file as someone said it had gone missing. Just copy/paste it over your current one. It has a few updates to it like I said but it still works great. It is the one I currently use. Yes, I know that content manager shows a weight and transmission loss issue. So, let content manager fix it if you like. I have done that and the car is still pretty awesome. I have mixed files between cars for a long time just for fun and also to improve cars that otherwise suck. This particular adventure caught me by surprise at how well it turned out and I decided to share it, that's all. Someone called me gifted, lol. No, this was mostly luck and having some knowledge about old cars. I'm in my 60's. The credit should pretty much all go to the meco guys. It's a beautiful car. Please don't hesitate with any questions and don't be afraid to mess with files between cars. It's actually pretty easy and can be a lot of fun.

I want to clarify what I wrote in my last post. I said 'mess with files' and that is not really correct. I do research specs on cars like I did with this 289 Cobra. If you know where to check in the data file you will find this car has the correct transmission gear ratios for example. I also took the published curb weight of a 289 Cobra and calculated what it should be in the car.ini file. I don't know why content manager doesn't like it. Sometimes I will change the coefficient of gravity and brake bias with an engine change in a car....usually actually...but this car was so sweet right out of the gate I left those things as is. So, no, you don't just 'mess' without research. Try to be as accurate as you can and see what happens. Sometimes you can really hit the mark.

Cheers for the replies Old Rebel,

Keep doing what you are doing, it is much appreciated.

I really enjoyed having an hour long adventure around Riverside in your Cobra, watching a virtual SOL sunset. The car feels very alive and wriggly, but is rapid and friendly when you get your foot down. It responds nicely under hard braking and the chassis feels very playful within certain parameters.

Thanks for the ideas. I wish I had some skill in these areas. I long for an Assetto Corsa FIAT X1/9. Classic 1300 and 1500 models please, with extra versions including sympathetic resto mod upgrades to the power and drive train.

I'm always up for altering things and have already messed about with the Assetto car files, obviously nowhere near the level of your extensive tinkering. I used to put LEGO and Matchbox car tyres on my TOMY AFX slot cars as a kid. Getting the back out and doing snakey powerslides is always the aim. ;)

Last edited:

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 105 8.0%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 136 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 189 14.3%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 370 28.0%
  • 100% offline racing