Share your VR graphic settings

Knut Mattheisen

Knut Mattheisen Entertainment
Premium
Cheers,

im looking for perfect balance between good graphics and performance in VR.
I'm using the Oculus Rift S with a 1080ti at the moment.
Which settings and tweaks do you use?

Are you looking for perfect 80fps gameplay with no ASW, or are you ok with 40fps? Your settings will be different depending on which you're trying to achieve.

I also have a Rift S but on a 1060. Since I generally can't achieve a constant 80fps in most VR sims, I set ASW to always on (via Oculus Tray Tool) to remove the stutter when it auto-enables/disables. For AMS 2 I have a mix of high and medium settings and the sim runs nice and smooth, even when starting at the back of a grid of 30 visible cars. Also runs fine while recording/streaming.

Be sure to also go to Documents\Automobilista 2, open graphicsconfigoculus.xml, and play with the "SharpeningStrength" value. It makes a world of difference. I have mine set to 2.5.

AMS2VRS.png

Are you looking for perfect 80fps gameplay with no ASW, or are you ok with 40fps? Your settings will be different depending on which you're trying to achieve.

I also have a Rift S but on a 1060. Since I generally can't achieve a constant 80fps in most VR sims, I set ASW to always on (via Oculus Tray Tool) to remove the stutter when it auto-enables/disables. For AMS 2 I have a mix of high and medium settings and the sim runs nice and smooth, even when starting at the back of a grid of 30 visible cars. Also runs fine while recording/streaming.

Be sure to also go to Documents\Automobilista 2, open graphicsconfigoculus.xml, and play with the "SharpeningStrength" value. It makes a world of difference. I have mine set to 2.5.

Thats correct mate...
In AMS2 it's quite possible to achieve constant 80 FPS with a 1080ti with a good mix of medium settings. ( i think)
But once i have a high time multiplier with variable weather - it becomes difficult.
I also use the OTT, but ASW on AUTO. I also set the pixel density in OTT instead of in-sim.
So i think its a good idea to fix it to ASW = ON.
Yes with "SharpeningStrength" i played also and i'm fine with 2.0.

1602343961371.png

1602344005050.png

I race triples now but i remember the in game graph thingy in the headset to check the render stats was "always" between 25-30 (even 35 at times) in the green with PC2 , GTX 1080ti and an Oculus Rift S in the dry. The wet I don't know, can barely keep cars on the grey stuff in the dry...

Most settings between medium and high and no supersample. Used the sharpening strength but found the image starting looking odd about 2.0 and settled on 1.7 if i remember rightly.

And apparently Automobilista 2 is lighter than PC2 in graphics terms thanks to the 2D trees etc...so you should be real good with that 1080ti which is a beast of a card for its time and is still very powerful.

But maybe Automoblista is more demanding but I don't know for sure. Funnily enough I booted up AMS2 last night (don't race it that often tbh) and the graphics since last boot up 2 months back seems to be huge step up. Gone are the cartoony shades and it look very very nice indeed. I then booted up PC2 (last time i booted that up was a years or so ago) and that looks just bad in comparision - flicking trees, looks cartoony shades (triples)

Last edited:
I race triples now but i remember the in game graph thingy in the headset to check the render stats was "always" between 25-30 (even 35 at times) in the green with PC2 , GTX 1080ti and an Oculus Rift S in the dry. The wet I don't know, can barely keep cars on the grey stuff in the dry...

Most settings between medium and high and no supersample. Used the sharpening strength but found the image starting looking odd about 2.0 and settled on 1.7 if i remember rightly.

And apparently Automobilista 2 is lighter than PC2 in graphics terms thanks to the 2D trees etc...so you should be real good with that 1080ti which is a beast of a card for its time and is still very powerful.

But maybe Automoblista is more demanding but I don't know for sure. Funnily enough I booted up AMS2 last night (don't race it that often tbh) and the graphics since last boot up 2 months back seems to be huge step up. Gone are the cartoony shades and it look very very nice indeed. I then booted up PC2 (last time i booted that up was a years or so ago) and that looks just bad in comparision - flicking trees, looks cartoony shades (triples)

You tested AMS2 yesterday in VR, or on screens?
Because i'm also driving on a 49" (5210x1440) screen, if VR not performing (like in ACC).
But on this high resolution there are the same problems with nice graphics vs high performance. :-(
I think i need a better graphic card... :-/

You tested AMS2 yesterday in VR, or on screens?
Because i'm also driving on a 49" (5210x1440) screen, if VR not performing (like in ACC).
But on this high resolution there are the same problems with nice graphics vs high performance. :-(
I think i need a better graphic card... :-/

Tested day before yesterday with triples and it was running high everything very nice for me but I don't run 1440p triples and stick to 1080p as 27inch triples in 1080 looks real good anyway due to pixel density and the 27inch screen size. Have 1080ti and 8700k

Are you sure that you are driving in VR with V-Sync? :confused:
I don't think it makes any sense in case of VR using.
You're right, it doesn't do anything for the HMD display. What it does do is prevent the AMS 2 menu screens (displayed on the monitor) from running at ridiculously high framerates, which makes some graphics cards emit an audible hissing/whining noise. That's the only reason I have it turned on. :)

Tested day before yesterday with triples and it was running high everything very nice for me but I don't run 1440p triples and stick to 1080p as 27inch triples in 1080 looks real good anyway due to pixel density and the 27inch screen size. Have 1080ti and 8700k

I have the1080ti and 8700k too. ;)
could you post your graphic settings for your triple setup pls?

• Deleted member 197115

Driving only at noon without any time progression :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

Even if you reduce the graphics significantly - it has almost the same performance drop when it gets darker.
I'm sure that turning off reflections would help, but they can't be turned off completely.
I was afraid this is the case. Running at 60hz, moderate setting, stable fps even in a heavy rain, but golden hours and night can't even maintain 60. ACC known for very demanding VR has very little performance difference for day/night transition, at least holding 60fps steadily.
Was it the same in PCars2, wasn't using it much in VR?

• Deleted member 197115

VSync only affects mirror screem btw, I believe it was recommended on in PCars VR for perfirmance.

5760/1080p
full screen
texture resolution high
texture filtering anisotropic 4x
v-synch 75fps 75hz screen in triples
msaa medium
post aa off
reflections low
enviroment map high
car detail medium
track detail high
pit crew all
shadow detail high
enchanced mirror no
motion blur off
render frames ahead 2 (i don't why that's on tbh)
detailed grass medium
pixel level medium
pixel density medium

Runs smooth as butter though i did think i had higher settings across the board so it's a mix of medium and highs but still looks amazing to me. Running on a benq monitor with HDRi and I use the HDRi. Sorry if i misled a bit saying "all" settings were high

If you use Oculus Quest - set your FOV Tangent Multiplier to 0.8; 0.7, that will cause your graphics card to only render (0.8 x 0.7 x resolution) pixels and give much more overhead for increasing pixel density for instance or rain / evening racing... Give it a try. I don't know if this works on the Rift. I believe the beta version of SteamVR also has this function under another name. I am still looking for the sweet spot of sharpness around 150m which is typically how far I look ahead in AMS2. If any suggestions, appreciated. I've set my sharpening to 3 and MSAA medium on highest resolution for the Quest 2 - 2080ti.

Last edited:
If you use Oculus Quest - set your FOV Tangent Multiplier to 0.8; 0.7, that will cause your graphics card to only render (0.8 x 0.7 x resolution) pixels and give much more overhead for increasing pixel density for instance or rain / evening racing... Give it a try. I don't know if this works on the Rift. I believe the beta version of SteamVR also has this function under another name. I am still looking for the sweet spot of sharpness around 150m which is typically how far I look ahead in AMS2. If any suggestions, appreciated. I've set my sharpening to 3 and MSAA medium on highest resolution for the Quest 2 - 2080ti.
This was a game changer for me.

I went so far as set the FOV Tangent to 0.85:0.33.

That significantly reduces your vertical FOV however if you were wearing a real helmet you'd lose vertical FOV anyway.

I actually used the in-game helmet cam in VR to gradually reduce my vertical FOV until it sort of matched (about 0.30), then pegged it back a bit. If you're driving tin-tops, you very quickly forget about the black bars top and bottom.

This opened up so much performance overhead I'm now able to boost my Link resolution and throw in some supersampling for good measure.

On an RTX2070S, I'm now running 90FPS, without ASW, at night with thunderstorms.

If I'm running day races only, I bump it up to 0.50.

This works on my Rift S too. It is indeed a game changer - 80fps rock solid, and you really don't notice the black borders in tintops. I went from 0 to - 30 overhead to + 30 /40 % by using .85 and .5. settings. It looks very much like the ingame helmet cam but without the massive gpu load that the helmet view entails. This is in the Occulus Debug Tool, not the OTT for those who wish to try it out.

Last edited:
This was a game changer for me.

I went so far as set the FOV Tangent to 0.85:0.33.

That significantly reduces your vertical FOV however if you were wearing a real helmet you'd lose vertical FOV anyway.

I actually used the in-game helmet cam in VR to gradually reduce my vertical FOV until it sort of matched (about 0.30), then pegged it back a bit. If you're driving tin-tops, you very quickly forget about the black bars top and bottom.

This opened up so much performance overhead I'm now able to boost my Link resolution and throw in some supersampling for good measure.

On an RTX2070S, I'm now running 90FPS, without ASW, at night with thunderstorms.

If I'm running day races only, I bump it up to 0.50.
When I change the FOV multiplier it doesnt do anything... any tips on getting it to work? I am running ODT in Administrator mode, and I am retsrting the service when Ive changed a setting

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 316 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 217 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 213 10.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 158 7.7%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 276 13.5%