Share your VR graphic settings

Hi all,

to "shed some lights" on my choices:

Some work, some don`t, some variables did never work as expected. The mighty adaptive pixel density did not work as expected. So i deleted it from the board. I also deleted the variables "Earlyzpass" and so on, because it seems, that it is activated in ACC naturally. So we do not have to add it in the engine.ini.

I added the variable vr.roundrobinocclusion=1. It`s another kind of calculating the scenes for VR. Here is a description from the Unreal Engine website:

"Round Robin Occlusion is one of the dynamic occlusion query methods to improve stereo rendering performance by alternating between one eye each frame instead of both. There is an added frame of latency to occlusion data which could result in incorrect rendering in the the periphery with the trade off being that Round Robin Occlusion saves an entire frame’s worth of queries. The trade off in savings can help most with scenes that are draw call or visibility bound.

Enable Round Robine Occlusion in your .ini config file or at runtime using the following console variable: vr.RoundRobinOcclusion=1" https://docs.unrealengine.com/Engine/Rendering/VisibilityCulling

Here you can read descriptions of variables and scalabilitys: https://docs.unrealengine.com/en-us/Engine/Performance/Scalability/ScalabilityReference

And here are ALL variables and commands listed: https://digilander.libero.it/ZioYuri78/

I also added FX.AllowGPUSorting=0 to increase the performance for calculating particle effects. For me i`m good with the following settings:

[ConsoleVariables]
vr.RoundRobinOcclusion=1
r.streaming.boost=2
r.Streaming.ScaleTexturesByGlobalMyBias=1
r.TemporalAACurrentFrameWeight=0.1
r.TemporalAASamples=32
r.TemporalAASharpness=0.8
r.Tonemapper.Sharpen=1.5
r.VolumetricFog=0
r.RenderTargetPoolMin=300
r.BloomQuality=4
r.MotionBlurQuality=0
r.SceneColorFormat=2
r.SceneColorFringeQuality=0
r.EyeAdaptationQuality=0
r.AmbientOcclusionLevels=0
r.AmbientOcclusionRadiusScale=1.7
r.TranslucencyLightingVolumeDim=32
r.ShadowQuality=5
r.Shadow.MaxResolution=512
r.DepthOfFieldQuality=0
r.FastBlurThreshold=0
r.MipMapLODBias=-1.5
r.HZBOcclusion=0
r.SSR.quality=0
r.SSR.MaxRoughness=0.1
r.RHICmdBypass=0
r.Shadow.CSM.MaxCascades=2
r.SupportLowQualityLightmaps=1
r.LightShaftDownSampleFactor=4
r.TiledDeferredShading.MinimumCount=10
FX.AllowGPUSorting=0
Thanks for sharing, got to try it soon. What in-game settings do you use? Oh, and what HW do you have?

Ingame i use following settings:

130% pixeldensity
View of field = epic
Shadows = mid
Anti Aliasing = epic
AA method = temporal
Post Process = high
Effects = mid
Mirror quality = epic
Foliage = low

My Hardware Specs are a AMD Ryzen 5 2600X, 16GB DDR4 Ram, GTX 1070ti, 256GB SSD

The "roundrobinocclusion" seems to be a very new variable for Unreal Engine 4.21. I read an article from 9/11/18, so maybe Kunos did not discover this occlusion setting. Here is the article about it (it's written in spanish, so use maybe use your dedicated language translator): https://www.realovirtual.com/notici...-rendimiento-vr-tecnica-round-robin-occlusion

For me it seems, that i got a lot less flickering in my viewfield. The flickering on the dashboard seems to be gone. Roundrobinocclusion seems to be a nice add for 45fps ASW in Unreal Engne. When i drive with 20 AI opponents i have a smoother experience at the Start of a race. The frames do not tend to drop anymore that much.

Last edited:
Of you'd like to have automatic, adaptive pixeldensity, you have to add the variable vr.oculus.pixeldensity.adaptive=1

It will adapt the pixel density to the amount of performance. I.e. you drive alone in practice, it will adapt your pixel density to 160% and you have a nice sharp image at 45fps ASW. If you've got good hardware it will automatically change your pixeldensity to get full 90fps. But when you drive a race with 20 AI, it could be possible, that it will lower the pixeldensity a lot, resulting in a very blurry image.

For me, this variable is not interesting as it behaves not correctly as i would like it to be.

Good morning,

found some pretty interesting variables for VR, but as i am at work at the moment and on family holiday this weekend, i'm not able to validate if these variables will work in ACC:

vr.InstancedStereo=
vr.LensMatchedShading=
vr.MultiRes=
vr.SinglePassStereo=
vr.MGPU=

These variables seem to be Nvidia Graphics Cards only.

Maybe somebody got some time testing these commands seperately wether on (1) or off (0). I hope, that Lens matched shading will gain performance.

Last edited:
Good morning,

found some pretty interesting variables for VR, but as i am at work at the moment and on family holiday this weekend, i'm not able to validate if these variables will work in ACC:

vr.InstancedStereo=
vr.LensMatchedShading=
vr.MultiRes=
vr.SinglePassStereo=
vr.MGPU=

These variables seem to be Nvidia Graphics Cards only.

Maybe somebody got some time testing these commands seperately wether on (1) or off (0). I hope, that Lens matched shading will gain performance.
thanks for the continuous updates that signals us, specifically this addition what improves?

I tested Lens matched shading today. In the end, it seems to be worse for performance. I also read some articles about it. Other people also so have problems with it. Multi resolution is a Nvidia exclusive shading technic and has to be implemented by VRWorks API.
Singlepassstereo is the same as vr.instancedstereo. It renders on both displays in the HMD at the same time. This could saves some miliseconds in calculating frames, but not much.

Imroved performance by adding r.AOquality=0 and r.LensFlarequality=0.

[ConsoleVariables]
vr.RoundRobinOcclusion=1
r.Streaming.FullyLoadUsedTextures=1
r.TemporalAASamples=8
r.Tonemapper.Sharpen=2
r.VolumetricFog=0
r.RenderTargetPoolMin=350
r.BloomQuality=4
r.AOquality=0
r.LensFlareQuality=0
r.SceneColorFormat=2
r.EyeAdaptationQuality=0
r.TranslucencyLightingVolumeDim=16
r.ShadowQuality=4
R.DFshadowquality=1
r.DepthOfFieldQuality=0
r.MipMapLODBias=-0.8
r.HZBOcclusion=0
r.SSR.quality=0
r.SSR.MaxRoughness=0.1
r.RHICmdBypass=0
FX.AllowGPUSorting=0

For my liking, i added motion blur. It tends to smoothen everything a bit, but maybe it`s just my brain.... . If you also like to have motion blur activated in vr, add vr.AllowMotionBlurInVR=1 and enable Motion Blur in ACC settings.

Last edited:
@Unionjackstar I tried your settings and they are AMAZING, but I still suffer from a bit of gitter when glancing left to right. I have a i4-4590 and 1070ti...i think i probably need to turn something down, but where should i start? Lastly, does running a vive change any of these settings, are are the pretty much good to go?

Imroved performance by adding r.AOquality=0 and r.LensFlarequality=0.

[ConsoleVariables]
vr.RoundRobinOcclusion=1
r.Streaming.FullyLoadUsedTextures=1
r.TemporalAASamples=8
r.Tonemapper.Sharpen=2
r.VolumetricFog=0
r.RenderTargetPoolMin=350
r.BloomQuality=4
r.AOquality=0
r.LensFlareQuality=0
r.SceneColorFormat=2
r.EyeAdaptationQuality=0
r.TranslucencyLightingVolumeDim=16
r.ShadowQuality=4
R.DFshadowquality=1
r.DepthOfFieldQuality=0
r.MipMapLODBias=-0.8
r.HZBOcclusion=0
r.SSR.quality=0
r.SSR.MaxRoughness=0.1
r.RHICmdBypass=0
FX.AllowGPUSorting=0

For my liking, i added motion blur. It tends to smoothen everything a bit, but maybe it`s just my brain.... . If you also like to have motion blur activated in vr, add vr.AllowMotionBlurInVR=1 and enable Motion Blur in ACC settings.
Hello and THX ...do u also have external settings Like Oculus tray tool or debug tool ?and the in game settings overwrite the engine.ini settings?
And last question
Whats your ingame settings?

Bb and thx

Hi All,

So i tried ACC with my DK2 and on default settings all seemed ok, now I have a CV1 even in-game menu when i turn my head i can see the image being dragged or blurred, this follows on to in-game also.

My PC spec is i5-6500, GTX1060 6GB.

Also if i set to night and rain, when i go in game there is no rain, it never did this with the DK2, any idea's?

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back