Share your VR graphic settings

• Deleted member 197115

Found how to boost midrange

r.Color.MidAllows to define where the value 0.5 in the color channels is mapped to after color grading (This is similar to a gamma correction).
Value should be around 0.5, smaller values darken the mid tones, larger values brighten the mid tones, Default: 0.5

• Deleted member 197115

For now experimenting in 60 Hz with
r.Color.Mid = 0.6
exposure gain = 50
contrast = 50
tonemapper = ACES

Seems quite close to 90Hz, also placebo or not boosting mids seems to make flickering less noticeable.
Nothing final, still tuning.

• Deleted member 197115

The gamma tweak with gain and contrast values posted above seems to be right on the target. Finally 60Hz looks great, abandoning reprojection for good. :p

• Deleted member 197115

Andrew I'm gonna need help getting AMS2 to look as good as ACC looks now. :D
Sorry, afraid AMS2 did not work for me, only opened old PCars wounds.

I can give a hand with AC/CSP/SOL though, and can point to R3E settings.;)

I'm still messing a bit with the last settings of the engine.ini, and I still can't see improvement forcing AA at 6. It's strange, maybe I'm just looking for something entirely different now.

As soon as I settle on something I will post it here, I am not far from my ideal settings. :)

I'm playing now also with r.TemporalAADynamicSharpen=0.75 and using for AA just:

r.TemporalAACurrentFrameWeight=0.5
r.TemporalAADynamicSharpen=0.75
r.PostProcessAAQuality=6

If I lower PD 195 to 175 (more headroom for more AI and playing at midnight with heavy rain going past pit straight avoiding drop below 45 fps in some tracks such as bathurst) I still get super clear images with these settings, but maybe may eyes are playing tricks. Trying so many things :). Let me know what you think.

I'm playing now also with r.TemporalAADynamicSharpen=0.75 and using for AA just:

r.PostProcessAAQuality=6

If I lower PD 195 to 175 (more headroom for more AI and playing at midnight with heavy rain going past pit straight avoiding drop below 45 fps in some tracks such as bathurst) I still get super clear images with these settings, but maybe may eyes are playing tricks. Trying so many things :). Let me know what you think.

I've tried similar settings before, and honestly that is exactly how the game should look in VR, but without all that AWFUL shimmering and jaggies. It's SO clear, but extremely noisy to my eyes.

• Deleted member 197115

r.PostProcessAAQuality=6

That dynamic TAA sharpening sounds promising, what main difference do you notice.

• Deleted member 197115

I've tried similar settings before, and honestly that is exactly how the game should look in VR, but without all that AWFUL shimmering and jaggies. It's SO clear, but extremely noisy to my eyes.
I thought you tried to lower TemporalAACurrentFrameWeight which indeed should blur image a bit, not boost as @Ternauwies2020 is doing, that should add more jitter.
Remember, the default is 0.1.

And WMR reprojection blurs things quite a bit comparing to plain 60Hz, so image looks quite different in two modes.

I thought you tried to lower TemporalAACurrentFrameWeight which indeed should blur image a bit, not boost as @Ternauwies2020 is doing, that should add more jitter.
Remember, the default is 0.1.

And WMR reprojection blurs things quite a bit comparing to plain 60Hz, so image looks quite different in two modes.

I did what he did first, but there was no way to get rid of the jitter, which is a shame, so I went the opposite direction.

Ok, this is it. We did it bois. :D

Andrew, the mid boost for 60hz was the last piece of the puzzle. Thank you my man! Everything looks absolutely incredible, I can't find one thing to complain about lol.

Here are my final, final settings. Different from Andrew's, so feel free to try both and see what you prefer. Both the in game settings (I upped quite a few, as I can hold 60 FPS in multiplayer with a slightly overclocked 1080ti) and the engine.ini are different from his.

Soooo happy right now! And I'm SO GLAD I chose the Oddysey over an Oculus, the 60 hz mode is a great feature.

Attachments

• Engine.ini
    1.7 KB · Views: 112
  • VR 60Hz Def.json
    953 bytes · Views: 98
  • Deleted member 197115

Quick question, 2 actually.
1) With Temporal settings seems like you want to soften things a little bit. So just dropping sharpness doesn't work?
2) World scale changed to 0.9, why?

That dynamic TAA sharpening sounds promising, what main difference do you notice.

I find personally the edges a bit more clean and realistic as sharpening is not applied on whole image making it look fake. So I'm keeping it for now. I do notice with frameweight high at 0.5 a bit of ghosting behind the cars, but jaggies are similar than lower values in my eyes. I will play a bit between 0.25-0.5 range to see if it can be reduced, but didnt visually notice more jaggies.
When looking replays from different camera angles it looks so clear up close and full distance I dont want to give this up and finally have the clarity I wanted. I never tried 60hz mode, maybe I will check to see if that shows more jitter and jaggies.

I did what he did first, but there was no way to get rid of the jitter, which is a shame, so I went the opposite direction.

Just tested 60hz mode and that give huge shimmering for me, a lot more than 90Hz and not really improving image for me. For example I noticed at start in Bathurst the fence on the right is shimmering like crazy in 60Hz while in 90Hz with reprojection there is no shimmering of the fence there. Personally prefer 45 fps reprojection, but each there own :).

• Deleted member 197115

I find personally the edges a bit more clean and realistic as sharpening is not applied on whole image making it look fake. So I'm keeping it for now. I do notice with frameweight high at 0.5 a bit of ghosting behind the cars, but jaggies are similar than lower values in my eyes. I will play a bit between 0.25-0.5 range to see if it can be reduced, but didnt visually notice more jaggies.
When looking replays from different camera angles it looks so clear up close and full distance I dont want to give this up and finally have the clarity I wanted. I never tried 60hz mode, maybe I will check to see if that shows more jitter and jaggies.
Sorry for bad news but r.TemporalAADynamicSharpen is not being applied to the engine, it just ignored. You can check AC2.log.
Based on the UE4 discussion link, it was a separate solution that you could integrate into your project that never made it to main UE4 branch. Perhaps some games integrated it but not Kunos, at least not based on the log.

On reprojection vs 60Hz, try these settings
r.Color.Mid = 0.6
exposure gain = 50
contrast = 50
tonemapper = ACES

Mid boost makes flicker almost non existent.

EDIT: Almost forgot, turn reprojection OFF, or it will drop to 30fps, no kidding, that could create severe shimmering and flickering.

Last edited by a moderator:
Quick question, 2 actually.
1) With Temporal settings seems like you want to soften things a little bit. So just dropping sharpness doesn't work?
2) World scale changed to 0.9, why?

1) it doesn't just soften things, it improves the Temporal Upsampling as well. So everything in the distance looks much better. It's almost like having 100% resolution and 200 pixel density. It adds some more ghosting which makes everything a bit softer but that really doesn't bother me, for some reason. And edges just look better which is important to me.
2) I noticed that even though technically the world scale is correct at 100, everything looks better at 90. Even the hands and the wheel, I get more immersed. Feels more real somehow, like they're actually my hands on the wheel. I also drive the Porsche which has kind of a small cockpit so I just like it better, it's 100% personal taste.

Edit: we've been chatting so much about VR settings, how about some racing?? Add me on Steam dude, I have the same name!

• Deleted member 197115

r.TemporalAASharpness=0 is ignored by engine, check AC2.log

r.Tonemapper.Sharpen=0 gets overridden by in game sharpness settings.

• Deleted member 197115

Confirmed that TemporalAASharpness does not exist in the current UE4 release code, reason you can't see it loaded in AC2.log, it just gets ignored. So the only effective settings from the changes are

r.TemporalAACurrentFrameWeight=0.025
r.TemporalAASamples=32
r.TemporalAAFilterSize=0.10

They do have noticeably effect, image looks less noisier and not garbled in a distance but softer.
Perhaps needs some fine tuning as for instance
TAutoConsoleVariable<float> CVarTemporalAAFilterSize( TEXT("r.TemporalAAFilterSize"), 1.0f, TEXT("Size of the filter kernel. (1.0 = smoother, 0.0 = sharper but aliased)."), ECVF_Scalability | ECVF_RenderThreadSafe);
Technically should increase aliasing, not sure if it's not counteracting to what we are trying to accomplish with frame weight and number of samples.
And on a number of TAA samples (history) link
r.TemporalAASamples=32 does not affect performance but it just tell how many jitter locations temporalAA will use. Bigger the number more time it will take to full cycle to loop. This might cause judder and excessive blurriness. I have noticed that r.TemporalAASamples=4 or 8 is optimal depending on target frame rate.

So this is theory at least. Back to testing to find optimal combo of two.

Good find @BlaKArg, really like more natural not oversharpened look. :thumbsup:

• Deleted member 197115

Played a bit more. Long history (32) does create some dissoclusion artifacts on moving objects, opponent cars, or digital dash when you turn your head left right.
Based on what I've read, history of 4 (default) is the sweet spot and most recommended setting. Which leaves frame weight to play with.
ACC by default uses 0.1 which is jittery but sharp, dropping it in half to 0.05 with AA samples 4
r.TemporalAACurrentFrameWeight=0.05
r.TemporalAASamples=4
looks almost like
r.TemporalAACurrentFrameWeight=0.025
r.TemporalAASamples=32

but without above mentioned artifacts.
You can also play with TemporalAACurrentFrameWeight if need more sharpness, like 0.075 is pretty decent to my eyes.

With TAA it's always a struggle to find the right balance between jittering and blurriness.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back