Share your VR graphic settings

I can't say I notice an improvement with PostProcessAAQuality=6 only. All the jaggies are back with a vengeance. :(

I just tested all your settings and I still prefer mine, I can't seem to deal with the jaggies and artifacts on buildings, etc. It takes me out of it.

I will keep PostProcessAAQuality=6 cause it seems to be a bit better, but also everything else I added to clean it up.

Are we sure Ambient Occlusion has no performance hit? Seems to be costing me about 6 FPS in 60hz.

Afraid r.AmbientOcclusionLevels=1 is not as harmless as you thought and cost me 5%.
r.AmbientOcclusionLevels=0
fpsVR Report: App: Assetto Corsa Competizione HMD: Samsung Windows Mixed Reality 800ZBA0 (90.002 Hz, IPD 68.1) GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti (27.21.14.5148) CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-9900K CPU @ 3.60GHz Delivered fps: 80.98 Duration: 4.5min. GPU Frametimes: Median: 11.4 ms 99th percentile: 12.9 ms 99.9th percentile: 15 ms frametime <11.1ms(vsync): 34.9% CPU frametime: Median: 3.1 ms 99th percentile: 4.4 ms 99.9th percentile: 6.3 ms frametime <11.1ms(vsync): 100% Max. SteamVR SS: 100% Render resolution per eye: 1440x1800(by SteamVR settings, Max.) (HMD driver recommended: 1440x1800)
View attachment 385187

r.AmbientOcclusionLevels=1
fpsVR Report: App: Assetto Corsa Competizione HMD: Samsung Windows Mixed Reality 800ZBA0 (90.002 Hz, IPD 68.1) GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti (27.21.14.5148) CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-9900K CPU @ 3.60GHz Delivered fps: 77.3 Duration: 4.5min. GPU Frametimes: Median: 12 ms 99th percentile: 13.4 ms 99.9th percentile: 14.7 ms frametime <11.1ms(vsync): 6.3% CPU frametime: Median: 3.1 ms 99th percentile: 4.3 ms 99.9th percentile: 6.5 ms frametime <11.1ms(vsync): 100% Max. SteamVR SS: 100% Render resolution per eye: 1440x1800(by SteamVR settings, Max.) (HMD driver recommended: 1440x1800)
View attachment 385188

Lol I was just asking this, I definitely noticed a hit to my FPS. It's not worth it to me, as during races I can hardly tell what the difference is.

• Deleted member 197115

I can't say I notice an improvement with PostProcessAAQuality=6 only. All the jaggies are back with a vengeance. :(
Something is off then. Make sure to remove all your your extra TAAxxx settings, as this preset should force the max TAAU possible quality.
And I am with @Ternauwies2020 on this, ACC never looked that clean, not a single shimmer, and all lines are crispy clean, no jaggies as far as my eyes can tell.
I've have also noticed that sometimes freshly edited engine.ini does not take effect as if cached version is used. Not sure what forces a refresh, may be SteamVR restart.

Also another thing I've accidentally discovered.
In \Users\<your user>\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved\Logs\AC2.log you can see all settings that get applied to UE4 and what actually takes effect.
Seems like a bunch of r.Streaming.xxx cvars in engine.ini are useless as they get overridden by some higher priority settings. Also confirmed my suspicion that PostProcessAAQuality is defaulted to 4 for Epic TAA.
I will add my settings just in case, as our local setups deviated from each other and we might not be comparing apples with apples anymore. I've also cleaned engine.ini from ignored settings.
I am very happy with what we were able to achieve together, thanks for showing the way.
I'll probably stop tuning there and start racing, it's already looking better than I could possibly dream of, and I can get stutter free performance in either 60hz or Auto reprojection mode.
Afraid all further massaging will hurt either performance or look.

Attachments

• Engine.ini
    1.6 KB · Views: 95
  • VR_60.json
    953 bytes · Views: 78
  • VR_45.json
    969 bytes · Views: 83
Something is off then. Make sure to remove all your your extra TAAxxx settings, as this preset should force the max TAAU possible quality.
And I am with @Ternauwies2020 on this, ACC never looked that clean, not a single shimmer, and all lines are crispy clean, no jaggies as far as my eyes can tell.
I've have also noticed that sometimes freshly edited engine.ini does not take effect as if cached version is used. Not sure what forces a refresh, may be SteamVR restart.

Also another thing I've accidentally discovered.
In \Users\<your user>\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved\Logs\AC2.log you can see all settings that get applied to UE4 and what actually takes effect.
Seems like a bunch of r.Streaming.xxx cvars in engine.ini are useless as they get overridden by some higher priority settings. Also confirmed my suspicion that PostProcessAAQuality is defaulted to 4 for Epic TAA.
I will add my settings just in case, as our local setups deviated from each other and we might not be comparing apples with apples anymore. I've also cleaned engine.ini from ignored settings.
I am very happy with what we were able to achieve together, thanks for showing the way.
I'll probably stop tuning there and start racing, it's already looking better than I could possibly dream of, and I can get stutter free performance in either 60hz or Auto reprojection mode.
Afraid all further massaging will hurt either performance or look.

So I just finished testing your settings.

Although I agree it looks great and very defined, all the artifacts that bother me do come back. I guess we are all sensitive to different things.

I am keeping those settings but added r.TemporalAACurrentFrameWeight=0.035 which seems to be a sweet spot. Still very sharp, but close to no artifacts or jaggies.

AND I think my quest is finally over.

There is no way ACC will look better for me than this, and it's a HUGE improvement from when we started. I only decreased sharpness to 180, upped the contrast one tick and decreased brightness one tick (personal preference). It looks so natural, I love it.

Thank you Andrew and everyone else for all the ideas and help, I hope we can all enjoy this amazing sim so much more now!

• Deleted member 197115

Can you please post final version of your engine.ini. Also wondering if any Nvidia settings affect output. I will post mine shortly.

• Deleted member 197115

And you may find this useful, the default values loaded when none of TemporalXXX overrides are used (from AC2.log)
[2020.07.02-04.42.04:924][ 0]LogConfig: Setting CVar [[r.Tonemapper.Sharpen:0.6]] [2020.07.02-04.42.04:924][ 0]LogConfig: Setting CVar [[r.TemporalAACatmullRom:1]] [2020.07.02-04.42.04:924][ 0]LogConfig: Setting CVar [[r.TemporalAAPauseCorrect:1]] [2020.07.02-04.42.04:924][ 0]LogConfig: Setting CVar [[r.TemporalAA.Upsampling:1]] [2020.07.02-04.42.04:924][ 0]LogConfig: Setting CVar [[r.TemporalAACurrentFrameWeight:0.1]] [2020.07.02-04.42.04:924][ 0]LogConfig: Setting CVar [[r.TemporalAASamples:4]]
Was trying to find some documentation on TemporalAACurrentFrameWeight
Not much, except declaration of variable in the code.
// existing code, line 41 static TAutoConsoleVariable<float> CVarTemporalAACurrentFrameWeight( TEXT("r.TemporalAACurrentFrameWeight"), .04f, TEXT("Weight of current frame's contribution to the history. Low values cause blurriness and ghosting, high values fail to hide jittering."), ECVF_Scalability | ECVF_RenderThreadSafe);

Last edited by a moderator:
This is what I have about it:

r.TemporalAACurrentFrameWeight [number]Small0.2Range 0-1. Sets the impact of the current internal frame to the final image. Set this to a low value e.g. 0.05 for better anti aliasing or better upsampling at the cost of more artifacts (especially smearing) in motion. Also increase r.TemporalAASamples to something larger like 16 when using low values.

Thanks for that info, it's really helpful. Will play with the values some more and report back.

• Deleted member 197115

Updated reprojection based settings, seems like locking in game frame limiter to 60fps smooths out framerate, if you lock at 45 it gets jittery in corners, and unlocked has some random spikes.
For 60Hz it should stay unlocked as it's VSynced to 60fps and UE4 doc recommends to keep it unlocked.

Full instruction and files in one place
Wow. Have tried this and the image quality is, just like a completely different game. It's super clear and it's smooth too. But my fps seems fixed at 45fps. I dont want to get too hung up on that as if it looks crisp and is smooth then that's all I care about. But, how do I get the fps higher than that? I'm running a 9700K (o/c'd at 5), 2080ti and a valve index (set to 90hz). Got SteamSS at 100 globally and in application. I've set nVidia settings as per your AC guide and then loaded VR_60 (seems smoother than VR_45 file).

Have tried reducing pixel density down to 150% but this makes no difference to my fps.

With the amazing work you've all done with this I'm so close. Can almost touch it :)

Wow. Have tried this and the image quality is, just like a completely different game. It's super clear and it's smooth too. But my fps seems fixed at 45fps. I dont want to get too hung up on that as if it looks crisp and is smooth then that's all I care about. But, how do I get the fps higher than that? I'm running a 9700K (o/c'd at 5), 2080ti and a valve index (set to 90hz). Got SteamSS at 100 globally and in application. I've set nVidia settings as per your AC guide and then loaded VR_60 (seems smoother than VR_45 file).

Have tried reducing pixel density down to 150% but this makes no difference to my fps.

With the amazing work you've all done with this I'm so close. Can almost touch it :)

Your FPS are locked at 45 because with those settings it's impossible to reach and maintain 90 fps, so you're going into reprojection. Which aside from 60 Hz on WMR is the only way to make this game look good even on a monster setup like yours.

• Deleted member 197115

When you start really appreciating WMR featuring 60Hz option.
The only difference between 45 and 60 is some tweaked contrast and exposure gain AND framelimiter set to 60 for 45 (helps smooth out reporojection on Auto)
But unless you drop a bunch of other settings, 90 fps afraid is not achievable. Perhaps in hotstint only.
Use ASW or smoothing, whatever reprojection your HMD supports.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm still messing a bit with the last settings of the engine.ini, and I still can't see improvement forcing AA at 6. It's strange, maybe I'm just looking for something entirely different now.

As soon as I settle on something I will post it here, I am not far from my ideal settings. :)

• Deleted member 197115

I'm still messing a bit with the last settings of the engine.ini, and I still can't see improvement forcing AA at 6. It's strange, maybe I'm just looking for something entirely different now.

As soon as I settle on something I will post it here, I am not far from my ideal settings. :)
6 is more stable than 4 to my eyes, less jitter on thin lines.
Anyobody knows how to boost saturation. 120 still looks pale and it does not accept more, even via json.

• Deleted member 197115

Are you on Aces? Default is more saturated. Also, increasing contrast helps.
Yeah, was playing back and forth with tone already, it's tiny bit more saturated, but losing definition when exposure increases.
Can't decide whether I like one or another, in reprojection ACES are better, but 60Hz mode is so messed up, it's hard to really tell.
Trying to balance 60Hz mode, set
exposure to 50
contrast to 50
but it's still kind of dim, adding more exposure just blows up highlights, not midrange.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 140 13.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 104 10.0%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 96 9.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 73 7.0%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 143 13.8%