Shadows options and optimisation

Msportdan

@Simberia
im loving the visuals at the moment on RRe tracks cars all look great, one thing that lets it all down for me is the shadows..

Firstly what exactly does these options do. I know theres a FAQ page but doesn't explain well enough these options.

Shader detail (cant tell)

Shadow detail (looks horrid in everything but high is this shadow resolution? As shadow complexity doesn't change)

Contact shadow (is this how many shadows under cars in front are viewed, haven't noticed)

Split shadow (kills fps)

Ive noticed these points

- Needs a shadow option for complex or simple shadows. Only shadow resolution available? Needs a shadow complexity setting to change polygons in shadows.
Example: the 2nd screenshot below, The vette would be the complex shadow, and the merc the simple. I cant find this option so far.

- FIXED!!!!! USE 32 CONTACT SHADOWS AND SPLIT ON Shadows LOD are well to near the camera.. A shot of 6 cars and the vette is already lost its shadow not that far from camera. ( this is contact shadows set to 8 btw) Makes cars look like there floating.
153veow.jpg

-FIXED!!!!! USE 32 CONTACT SHADOWS AND SPLIT ON The more detailed shadow under car is the one in focused in replay, So possibly a nearer car to the camera will have a more basic shadow.. Makes replays look odd. (see merc compared to vette) This appears with split shadows on and off.
2ldhqo2.jpg

I have messed with all settings but cant find one that looks nice, I don't care for a complex shadow but at least be visible under all cars in view.

IMO the shadows are the only visuals that need lots of work, much better optimised and look better at medium settings.

Cheers

Last edited:
Really, Id noticed the shadow bug, when racing Raceroom raceway online. In sector 2 the shadows are flicking. It noticeable only in multiplayer mode with drop down of fps and lag. If I race in single player this track, the problem has gone.My videocard is not bad its radeon 7950, so it si full enough for the game, so the question for optimization graphic effects in raceroom. Then, why we have reflection mode in 2 positions high or low, why we dont have "medium"?

• MMoodyB

I've no idea if it's been optimized.
I was trying low reflections out yesterday & noticed they were an enviro map.

Running triple screens (4686x1080), grid of 16 cars @ Nurburg GP, all setting high / Max with 4xaa, complex shadows & fxaa off, reflections on "Low", I'll get 45-47 fps at the back of the grid

With reflections on High I'll get 36-38 fps.

This is with an R9 290@stock, and a 4770k@4.4ghz.

err suzuka noon shadows look atrocious sorry guys..

Why only is the focus car have the detailed shadow, either have them all or have a compromise.. look silly.. Havent tried other tracks! Gaps in the shadows.. this needs fixing asap imo
wtyjvn.jpg

14ecoz8.jpg

Oh its the shadow split option.. oh no fps killer.
352140i.jpg

Last edited:
I'm really hoping shadows gets optimized soon.
If I enable shadow split then I have to compensate by lowering other settings and it just isn't worth it. But without shadow split the shadows look bad, even with shadows on high. With shadows on anything other than high they become too jagged. *shrug*

I was just gonna post, shadow split has to be set to on to even make the shadows look good and not as above. Its not so bad on anything other than sunset (evening) but there isn't much compromise here, its either full whack shadows (-20fps) or horrid looking shadows at lower settings

love the fact no dev has commented on this?!

Also this has been made worse with the new time of day update..

Please before new content please optimise these shadows, as its stopping me enjoying this game and playing it at all.

sorry if i seem frustrated i wont lie i am.

love the fact no dev has commented on this?!

Also this has been made worse with the new time of day update..

Please before new content please optimise these shadows, as its stopping me enjoying this game and playing it at all.

sorry if i seem frustrated i wont lie i am.

It's an interesting post and good job for taking the time to put all this info and screenshots together.
I think devs have had their hands pretty full recently but I'm sure it wont go unnoticed :)

Thank you steve. As i said maybe this thread has come across a little aggressive, it wasnt my intention. Im just trying to A)get my sim to look and run well b)get as much info to the devs as i can.

I think the shadow split option is the main culprit, and is indeed a FPS drainer. If this was somehow optimised to still allow good framerates without the odd looking gaps in the shadows, i would be happy ;)

another example of the poor shading gfx.
my car is the one that has the full shadow and what the camera is also focused on.
2wdoow3.jpg

please sector 3 can we have a comment on this is it being looked at ?is there a solution?.

rgds

Monza/zolder I get slightly better fps around 50 at the start.. the start straight at suzuka does seem to drop the fps when you go past.

Regardless of track optimisation, the shadows do need to be better balanced and more consistent to look better.

think ive had my 2 cents about this now..

its up to the devs ..

Last edited:

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 92 7.7%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 125 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 171 14.3%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 336 28.2%