Shadow DN6 1975/76 Formula 5000

Cars Shadow DN6 1975/76 Formula 5000 1.0

Login or Register an account to download this content
CRLHistoricsModding submitted a new resource:

Shadow DN6 1975/76 Formula 5000 - Shadow DN6 RELEASED!!! The 1975-76 DN6 raced in F5000!

CRL Historic Race Sim Developments Proudly announces the release of the Shadow DN-6 Formula 5000 race car.

Designed by Tony Southgate, the new Shadow DN6 was very similar to the team's F1 cars of the day. The front half of the monocoque chassis could be carried over but a separate subframe had to added as the production-based V8 could not be used as a fully stressed member. At the start of the 1975 season, the F5000-specification of the Dodge V8 was not quite ready yet, so instead the first...

Read more about this resource...

Oh dear, where to begin.

First off, I highly suggest removing caps in the car folder name. It can cause some things to completely break, although I don't remember what. Use lowercase to make sure everything is fine.

I don't know why the UI values are so misleading. The UI claims 530bhp, yet the thing makes more like 700+. CM has a function to just input in torque and power from your torque curve file, that's a decent one to use and is just a 1-click function. Also, CM can one-click generate previews for skins as well.

The tires are...fantasy. Good old insanely high dropoff with low speed, and the likes. Not sure what advice to give, apart from consulting with other physics modders and using load sensitivity curves, especially seeing as you're making an aero car.

The syntax for load curves is, in tyres.ini:

DY_CURVE=tire_SM_DY_205.lut
DX_CURVE=tire_SM_DX_205.lut

Newtons on the left, CF on the right.

For example:

0 | 1.40
3000 | 1.20

The curves are smoothed, so make sure the newton spacing is a set amount. Build it higher than the load the tire will ever see, just to make sure.

Internal forces in driven axles is broken in AC, so I suggest either leveling off the heights of the car connections in the rear geometry and adjusting the wheel points to maintain curves, or switching to CSP extended physics which has a fix for it.

Here's some info: https://trello.com/b/xq54vHsX/ac-patch

Also, I noticed you have some stuff referenced as "Cylinder". I think it's a decent idea to rename objects to something logical as you make them in the 3D software, it's a lot easier for other modders and yourself as well. :thumbsup:

Much appreciated tips, we will take them into consideration with the next cars and updates. We would like to note that the power curve was made to have 530 horsepower at 8200 rpm. It was not generated but actually typed as this is our first time doing physics modding. We also ran many many test laps to confirm lap times, and the car maintains accurate lap times to the real records. Thank you for the tyre suggestions as we did not do much with them!

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 285 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 192 10.3%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 192 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 140 7.5%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 250 13.4%