Shaders Patch Preview 114, thoughts?

Been running AC with Shaders Patch Preview 114 and testing out the new features, particularly those in Extra FX. Mixed I'd say.

SSLR - Enhances reflection mapping. Looks pretty, big FPS killer on tracks like LA Canyons.
Motion Blur - Same really, looks pretty, but on detail heavy tracks the FPS goes down.
SSAO - Have been getting some screen tear on tracks like Barcelona on the night setting and LA Canyons. This might be the cause. Wasn't in 74 and didn't get it then. Will try disabling it in a bit.

Other than that everything else is really good, on less resource heavy things the FPS even went up a tad and loading times are quicker. Once I locate the cause of that tearing I think we'll be cooking with gas.

Of course, these are just my experiences, yours may be different. Let me know.

Last edited:
Yeah, it turned out that the whole of Extra FX was causing the screen tear, it went when I turned it off completely. Probably something to use if you have a better setup than I do. Maybe it's different in 60hz, something I'm not inclined to try. Still no sign of the animations like wind in trees and suchlike maybe they'll be in the next one.

I see, well I did set some wind up. What do you have to enable to get it to do it? Is it enabled by default? What about the flowing water? I have Stereo's stFlow installed as I get animated screens on that Le Mans track.

I know! I hadn't driven a track in daylight yet, LOL! The trees do indeed move and the water in Monaco harbour is flowing! Is it Ilja's shader that is doing that? One thing that would be nice now they can do that would be animated wind turbines, like the ones at Zolder. It's the only thing they had in Project Cars that I miss.

Hmm, had a bit of a mixed time since that last post. I decided to see what AC would look like via HDMI, so, I plugged one in. I noticed that, with a 60hz refresh, I could turn on all Extra FX and get a constant 60fps with no screen tear. Satisfied with that, I then tried to switch back to DisplayPort, only to find it was completely borked, no picture output at all and the monitor was set to the correct input/output. So, I'm stuck with HDMI, but, I do have all my Extra FX and a solid frame rate. Hey ho........

I expect you don't have the latest track configs installed. They are on Discord too, just get everything you can find and it should all be up to date. Get Stereo's stFlow shader too.

I was thinking, there seems to be a corelation between the refesh rate I have and the FPS I get.

DisplayPort: 75hz = 75fps
HDMI: 60hz = 60fps

Shaders Patch seems to like 60hz better as I can have more things enabled and it doesn't affect the screen. With my DisplayPort at 75hz the more I had enabled, the less well the screen worked. Maybe wanting more ended up getting me less!? I might get a better HDMI cable, just to see what that might do......

After playing for about half an hour with SP v114 and Sol 1.2 preview I had to revert back to SPv49 and Sol 1.1.1. Reasons:

1. All tracks are always wet. Always. Regardless of weather. Even with Sol disabled.

2. Head shadow is gone. This is very important in VR: move your head, see the helmet shadow move. Very cool immersion effect in cars like Shelby Cobra. Seeing my headless shadow instead (v114) is simply horrifying.

3. Glare is gone (or reduced to being almost invisible).

4. Mist weather (one of my favorites) is not "misty" anymore.

5. Colors in v49 are much better. v114 feels oversaturated. This is highly subjective of course.

I only drive in VR (HMD Odyssey).

SP v49 + Sol 1.1.1 was great. I'm not sure the shaders patch is moving in the right direction...

• Deleted member 197115

The new version has a great performance boost with lot of AI. It brings moving vegetation, dependent on windspeed.
Indeed, seems like performance even better than 49. You guys are wizards. Great job! :)

@Apelsin Elise, colors seems fine, even better than 49, my tracks are not wet. Odyssey+ here.
My guess is something is off with install. Try to do everything from scratch, removing CSP and SOL completely first.

PS. BTW, I am on CSP 114 and SOL 1.2 RC1

Last edited by a moderator:
@Apelsin EliseMy guess is something is off with install. Try to do everything from scratch, removing CSP and SOL completely first.

Yep, I did that before posting. Removed both CSP and SOL completely and then reinstalled CSP 114 and SOL 1.2 RC1. No dice. All tracks are always wet. CSP 49/79 and SOL 1.1.1 are fine. Something is amiss and I'm not sure what.

I REALLY like the CSP/SOL combo - devs are wizards indeed!!! It's just a pity I cannot move beyond CSP 49 since CSP 79/SOL has performance issues with open cockpit cars and CSP 114 broke so many things visually in my setup :(

@Andrew_WOT: how's your head shadow and glare in CSP 114?

• Deleted member 197115

I can see glare, not sure about head shadow, I can see some of my shadow on cockpit like hands, but it seems to be cut in the middle like only front portion of driver casts shadow.
Other than that looks gorgeous. I have dropped BRIGHTNESS to 0.90 in _Sol pp and downloaded the latest tracks and vao configs from here.
upload_2019-5-14_20-30-0.png

Everything looks ok to me. Screen tear is gone on all but Barcelona at night now I'm running through an HDMI at 60hz, and that is with all the Extra FX turned on. LA Canyons looks like a movie. There are bound to be a few teething troubles along the way and I'm sure they will all be worked out in due course. We are only now getting features that Project Cars had from the get go like all the wind effects.

We just have to give the boffins time to get it all figured out.....

I expect you don't have the latest track configs installed. They are on Discord too, just get everything you can find and it should all be up to date. Get Stereo's stFlow shader too.

I was thinking, there seems to be a corelation between the refesh rate I have and the FPS I get.

DisplayPort: 75hz = 75fps
HDMI: 60hz = 60fps

Shaders Patch seems to like 60hz better as I can have more things enabled and it doesn't affect the screen. With my DisplayPort at 75hz the more I had enabled, the less well the screen worked. Maybe wanting more ended up getting me less!? I might get a better HDMI cable, just to see what that might do......
Nothing is limited or work better in 60,75,83 or 45 FPS in AC and Shaders Patch. It's just the simple fact, that with more calculations the time to render a picture is higher. So if you set your maximum fps to 60,because of using the hdmi connection, then your pc has 16.7 ms to render the picture. If render time is shorter than this, it will wait. Let's say with all your activated things it takes 15ms to render the picture. Then you switch to Displayport, where the framerate are higher because of the better interface. With 75 hz the render time must be 13.33ms. So your PC cannot finish rendering the picture. Thats why tearing appears. If you manually set to 60 Hertz it will be the same for hdmi or Displayport connection.

Yesterday i did a bench with a new laptop. I installed AC there for the first time and so i had a complette vanilla AC.
Then i installed CM + Shader Patch 114 and the only things i changed are extraFX off and in smart mirrors i set real mirror on + single frame (its set to "everything" by default, but this is a real fps killer! With set to single frame, it works great!).
Video settings: 2x AA, 2048x2048 shadow map, 4096x4096 reflections on 2 planes per frame, mirrors 2048x512 on high quality.

My test: 24 AI (BMW M3 e92) me in the last slot / Red Bull Ring 17:00 (14.05.2019):
1 lap in interier view (60° FOV) - own car driven by AI (Ctrl-C)
AC Vanilla "Clear" - default PPFilter - avg FPS: 114
AC+CSP114+Sol RC1 - "__Sol_ACC" PPFilter - avg FPS 138

Last edited:

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 74 7.2%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 108 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 150 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline