I am starting down the road of building out my sim rig, and have closely followed the SFX mega-thread here in preparation. There have been several suggestions at a complete build thread start to finish from other readers, and as I needed a place to keep things organized as I go, I am going to take the opportunity to document and detail my process here over the coming weeks. Much to be added here as I am just getting started, and still deciding how to best compile all of the feedback from the several-hundred page main SFX thread into a single document for me to follow as I progress, but hopefully this thread will help others going down the same path, particularly in the US (with ordering considerations, 110V, etc.)

I will continue to update this original post as well with details as the work progresses, things will be re-organized here in a way that makes the most sense as I progress.

THE BUILD

Motion: SFX-100
Chassis: Sim-Lab P1-X
Seat: SimXperience GS-5 G-Seat
Wheel Base: Simucube 2 Pro
Wheel: Ascher Racing B16L-SC
Wheel Rim: OMP Superquadro
Pedals: Heusinkveld Sim Pedals Sprint
VR: Pimax 5k+
Monitors/Stand: TBD
Tactile: TBD

PARTS ORDERED

SFX-100: Google Drive - Parts Spreadsheet

3D PRINTING

Printer: Prusa i3 mk3s
Filament: Prusament PLA Prusa Galaxy Black
Slicer: TBD
Settings: TBD

OVERALL DOCUMENTATION (very much in progress)

SFX-100 Build Detail - AaronF80

Great thread. About to embark on the journey myself. The parts list is a big help.

With regards to the servos

there is an A & B version. Do you know the difference between them, and which one we should order?
Cheers for the man, and looking forward to following your build.

Upvote 0
Great thread. About to embark on the journey myself. The parts list is a big help.

With regards to the servos

there is an A & B version. Do you know the difference between them, and which one we should order?
Cheers for the man, and looking forward to following your build.

I believe the only difference between them is the choice between having hard wired or removable power and encoder wires.

The hard wired ones have been most commonly used whereas the ones with removable connectors are a recent introduction.

Some are choosing the newer type as they want to more easily swap the standard power cable over to a shielded type cable in order to try and mitigate any interference.

Upvote 0
I believe the only difference between them is the choice between having hard wired or removable connectors.

The hard wired ones have been most commonly used whereas the ones with removable connectors are a recent introduction.

Some are choosing the newer type as they want to more easily swap the standard power cable over to a shielded type cable in order to try and mitigate any interference.
Thanks for the reply Paul. Sounds like I'll go for the B type with the separate cables/removable connectors. Makes sense if need to swap any cables etc.

Upvote 0
No problem :)

One thing to consider is the physical size and angle of those removable connectors.

A small downside is that they will be slightly more bulky and inelegant at the junction of the motor so you might want to try and visualise how that might fit in with your particular rig setup. Other than that, I personally think they are the better choice.

Upvote 0
No problem :)

One thing to consider is the physical size and angle of those removable connectors.

A small downside is that they will be slightly more bulky and inelegant at the junction of the motor so you might want to try and visualise how that might fit in with your particular rig setup. Other than that, I personally think they are the better choice.

Definitely food for thought. I hadn't considered that. I'll have a check with the current setup but I think they should be okay. Not too worried with the aesthetics as much.

I'd agree they are the more practical choice. And if there's an issue it would be easier to replace / repair the cable itself without having to open the servo and desolder.

Upvote 0
Haven't abandoned the thread, I just received the final pieces from Kinetik that I needed to get started, and the printer is in non-stop use finishing the printed parts. Will update on the build with details starting in the next week.

Upvote 0
Haven't abandoned the thread, I just received the final pieces from Kinetik that I needed to get started, and the printer is in non-stop use finishing the printed parts. Will update on the build with details starting in the next week.

Thanks for the update Aaron. Looking forward to seeing your progress

Upvote 0
I have already built mine in May 2019 and with your thread being a journey, it may have been helpful letting people know how long each piece took to 3d print.
This would have helped me at the time, because I was working out which piece to print when with the time I had available at any given time.

Upvote 0
@AaronF80 Thank you so much for putting your order list in a spreadsheet! Very helpful! I've begun ordering parts for my own SFX-100 build, and it seems there are a few discrepancies between your list and the one here. I am a complete novice when it comes to this, so I was hoping you could help me understand the differences (I don't want to order the wrong stuff). For instance: I've noticed the Arduino stuff is missing from your list, so are you planning on using the AMC-AASD15A servo motion controller instead? Thanks again! I hope your build is progressing swiftly and smoothly.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
@AaronF80, I will be following this build. Thank you for the spreadsheet. I am new to Sim Racing and plan on building the SFX100 later this year.
For a printer I am looking at the CR10. Seems like it will do the job.

Upvote 0

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 335 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 229 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 227 10.5%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 170 7.9%
  • < 5 years