setup question

F

foxs

• foxs

Hi, this might be a dumb question to ask but since I'm a noob in setups, I'm allowed to ask I hope =p

Is there something you can adjust on the car to let your car brake later? With braking later I mean that you're still able to get the turn right. At the moment I have to brake early to get the turn, I think this is a problem I'm losing time with, not sure though, but I can try.

I just watched Greger Huttu online and he brakes waaaaaaaay later, but maybe the reason for this is because he is driving in a BMW and me in a Chevy?

Thanks!

Braking/Stopping the car effectively is very much a skill you have to master. Breaking late is a combination daring, setup and driving skill.

Stomping on the break pedal and locking the wheels will cause the wheels to lock and ultimately loss of control and time. Try pressing the pedal hard at the breaking point and then ease off the pedal as you begin to lock the wheels and you need to turn the car in.

If your new at Evo (or sim racing) i would suggest going into practice mode and try braking the car from speed as quickly as possible. You need to find a balance between decelerating the rotation of wheels/speed of the car at a quick enough rate to allow you to enter the corner whilst not locking them.

A good setup will allow you to achieve this more effectively. For example damper/shock settings, break bias + break pressure all contribute to how your car will stop (among many other things).

Also remember! Some drivers are simply better at stopping their car than others. This is all down to experience. Just keep practicing :)

Also don’t forget that many people are so obsessed with “braking late” that they forget that you can lose much more time on corner exit then corner enter. In other words, it is preferable to brake early, carry a good speed around the corner and not miss the apex than brake too late and miss the apex “by a mile” losing in the process too much corner exit speed… ;)

Keeping it on the topic of “braking”, brake setups are much a question of personal taste and feeling, but there are a few things one must keep in mind…
From the laws of the physics, as more the brakes are set to the front, more theoretical braking power you have (the weight transfer to the front), but if you exaggerate, you than lock them too easily.

Some people like the brakes set to rear, so that you brake slide into the corner (a common setup in rally driving when on dirty surface), although this can be fun, one must not forget, that when you are moving sideways, you aren’t going fully forward (the same could be said about a power slide when exiting the corner) and that you are also wearing off your tires more (and yes, brakes to the rear theoretically brake less then front as implied in the above paragraphed as the car weight is taken from the rear).

Having in mind default settings for the in game controllers, the 58% to the front setup posted above is a reasonable one, and most racing cars (tarmac racing) have their brakes setup about 60% to 55% the front margin.

To finalize, when a brakes lock does happen, you must release the brake pressure at least a bit, there is no point in keeping the lock (and the car out of control). When in a lock, the old trick (before ABS) of letting the brakes go completely, and then apply them again (this time) without the lock might do wonders.
Even if you thinkyou are entering the corner with too much speed and you won’t be able to do the corner (specially in a FWD car), it is better to apply the old biker saying: “when you don’t believe you can do a corner, instead of braking (locking) and killing yourself going straight, just lean the bike even more (into a point you don’t believe/feel it will keep the rubber on tarmac contact), most likely, you will do the corner”.

Perhaps in a better and clear way of typing it, If you are in too fast (or you think you are) into a corner, maybe even with brakes locked (panic braking), reduce the pressure on the brakes to a minimum and try to do the corner all the same. Even if the things don’t go well (aka “how did I do that?”), you most likely will end up exiting the track already on the corner exit, wish normally is much better than a straight forward middle of the corner one.​

• Nick Price

remember alot of the faster guys out there are trail braking, which means your still using the brakes (although lightly) during turn in.

having your car setup to use the brakes as a tool to get the nose in, with a setup with 54-52% ish on the front in a fwd car, also using the throttle under brakeing to help get the nose in, allows you to carry more speed during turn in and means you can start your initial straight line braking slightly later...

above all... practice... although i seem to know what im on about, getting it nailed every corner in game is still somewhat of an impossibility for me :clap:

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 346 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 240 10.7%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 238 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 177 7.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 299 13.4%