Setup effects

I was testing different settings today and i found that the only settings that cleary affects the handling are antiroll bars and aerodynamics. Changing it from oversteer to understeer and vice-versa.

Brake bias also works.

But bumbs and rebound settings cleary doesn't affect the handling, and the car behavior when hitting a kerb. I tested it several times changing it from lowest to highest settings.

About the other settings i still have to test them.

Something similar is happening in Dirt Rally where many setup settings does nothing to the car. What's going on?

I was testing different settings today and i found that the only settings that cleary affects the handling are antiroll bars and aerodynamics. Changing it from oversteer to understeer and vice-versa.

Brake bias also works.

But bumbs and rebound settings cleary doesn't affect the handling, and the car behavior when hitting a kerb. I tested it several times changing it from lowest to highest settings.

About the other settings i still have to test them.

Something similar is happening in Dirt Rally where many setup settings does nothing to the car. What's going on?
What's going on is that you're not looking for the right behavior...Setup adjustments work just fine.

All the setting work, and yes you are quite correct in my opinion in your assumsions.
Gearing
ARB
Brake bias
Tyre pressures
Rear and front wings If adjustable generally work but Can be car depend.
Changing tyre compounds
Diff coast and power
Lowering the car has varing degrees of effect on handling and aero but again is car dependant.
Fuel loads.
All of the above are reasonably easy to identify and make rational changes to, that most drivers
can easily sense and with the aid of a stop watch give a reasonable result.

Springs, fast and slow dampers are far harder to quantify. to a large extent is is down to the
skill of the driver to assess these setting, people like myself have to rely mainly on the
stop watch unless is is glaringly obvious.
I’m sure you will get some conflicting answers from others, but this is how i see it at the moment. :)

What's going on is that you're not looking for the right behavior...Setup adjustments work just fine.
Ok, for example, full soft front suspension (including everything related to suspension) and full stiff rear suspension. Shouldnt the car oversteer as hell using such a setup? Well, it doesnt happen in the game. Also the only setting that affects car behavior when hitting a kerb is the ride height. Changing suspension settings doesnt change anything when it should isnt it? Softer suspension better impact absortion right? Well, i repeat, the only setting that improve impact absortion is the ride height, suspension settings does NOTHING.

Ok, for example, full soft front suspension (including everything related to suspension) and full stiff rear suspension. Shouldnt the car oversteer as hell using such a setup? Well, it doesnt happen in the game. Also the only setting that affects car behavior when hitting a kerb is the ride height. Changing suspension settings doesnt change anything when it should isnt it? Softer suspension better impact absortion right? Well, i repeat, the only setting that improve impact absortion is the ride height, suspension settings does NOTHING.
Repeating it won't make it any more correct...what car are you experiencing this with?

I've worked with racing teams to analyze setups with AC; it's a rather accurate tool.

Ok, yes i mean the sausages. What kind of behavior should i be looking for when changing bumb and rebound settings then?
Dampers change how fast the suspension is able to compress/extend. More bump slows down compression (and if on the ground, will mean that the load moves more quickly to the tires); more rebound slows down extension (and if on the ground, will mean that the load moves off of the tires more quickly).

Ok, yes i mean the sausages. What kind of behavior should i be looking for when changing bumb and rebound settings then?
Over the sausages? Nothing. It's a controlled crash where tyres and chassis define what happens.

Thou you could feel the car bouncing up less after returning to track when stiffening fast rebound.
Softer fast bump can reduce the initial bounce up if (and that's is a big IF) suspension is the main receiver of impact. But then after the car lands, it compresses the suspension more, going higher on the second bounce. So you will be better off with stiffening bump, even if the initial hit could be worse.
Thou in fact you will be infinitely better off not hitting them in the first place.

Last edited:
Over the sausages? Nothing. It's a controlled crash where tyres and chassis define what happens.

Thou you could feel the car bouncing up less after returning to track when stiffening fast rebound.
Softer fast bump can reduce the initial bounce up if (and that's is a big IF) suspension is the main receiver of impact. But then after the car lands, it compresses the suspension more, going higher on the second bounce. So you will be better off with stiffening bump, even if the initial hit could be worse.
Thou in fact you will be infinitely better off not hitting them in the first place.

I know i shouldnt hit them, i was just testing the game physics. Thanks for the info.

Do you think default bumb and rebound settings are good enough?

Last edited:
The default Ferrari gt3 rear camber is already 2.5. Why would camber angle change car behavior in suspension impact situations?
The sausage will cause a few extra degrees of camber so your already applied camber will not be enough causing not only the car shake due to the violent kerb but will also lose grip. While losing grip at the front causes understeer, at the rear it will cause more problems.
So if you wanna go over them, increase the rear camber and see if you can manage to go over them without losing much time.
You will lose grip around other corners though and also lose acceleration/create more wheel spin when the car isn't at peak lateral G.

The sausage will cause a few extra degrees of camber so your already applied camber will not be enough causing not only the car shake due to the violent kerb but will also lose grip. While losing grip at the front causes understeer, at the rear it will cause more problems.
So if you wanna go over them, increase the rear camber and see if you can manage to go over them without losing much time.
You will lose grip around other corners though and also lose acceleration/create more wheel spin when the car isn't at peak lateral G.

As i would lose grip on the rest of the track it isnt worth to change camber just for hitting kerbs. Anyway i dont wanna go over them as mentioned before i was just testing game physics.

It takes me 5 laps to set up everything on a new circuit but 2 hours to methodically guess the bound & rebound, but there is still 0.4 seconds for me in the damper setup and I am a "dummy" compared to who you have been communicating with in this forum article.
So "yes" they all work, unfortunately some adjustments require a good deal of skill and probably also
a good dollop of driving skill helps.

Well i tested it again in highland short and this time i felt a difference in the suspension after hitting anything.

The car feels more stable after hitting something with stiffer bump and rebound settings. At least for lowest ride height.

Using softer bumb and rebound it shakes as hell.

Last edited:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back