Setting up your rFactor FOV - Tutorial

This will be the third forums I copy this tutorial onto. I have received both praise and put-downs to this method. It really does depend on the drivers willingness to make sacrifices and the level of realism he/she wants from the sim.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I surf through sim racing videos on YouTube almost everyday and only in the rarest occasion is someone using a customized view that suits there particular racing rig/desk. I am making this tutorial to help everyone understand and utilize several ways of adjusting your view to best suit your scenario. Most of these setups using forced FOV usually require a Triplehead or a very large screen. However single-smaller display setups can still benefit from a good tune.

The goal of this tutorial is to make using rFactor more like a full out Driving SIMULATOR and less like a racing game. It should make your racing experience much closer to the real thing. iRacing has these calculations worked out automatically but the same immersion can be found in rFactor with this tutorial.

It may help to think about it in these terms.

drivingmypov.jpg

That brown rectangle represents an average widescreen monitor sitting an average distance from a user, overlaid in a real world driving scene. What is in that rectangle is all you should see in-game.

That means you should not see your dashboard or wheel. And you should have your Steering wheel shut off in the display options regardless as you most likely have a wheel, in your hands, right in front of you. You do not need two.

FOV: (In-Game Vs Real-Life)

Your VERTICAL Field of View is the VERTICAL angle your virtual eye can see in-game.
You can modify it in your rFactor under Settings>Display. If it is on "Default" then each mod/car will contain a different FOV and rFactor will use that. If you change it to a number "58" then rFactor will force that to be your FOV in all mods/cars.

The extremes of the easily settable FOV in rFactor look like this.

100 Degree FOV

FOV100.jpg

35 Degree FOV

FOV35.jpg

35 may seem close but if you compare to the first image with the brown rectangle it still isnt close enough. To calculate what you need to set your Field of View in-game to you must figure out what your RL-FOV is. That can be accomplished with the following method and measurements. (Get a tape measure)

FOV.png

Take the 2 Distances (Side 1&2) and your viewable Screen Height(Side 3) and put those numbers into this calculator.

http://ostermiller.org/calc/triangle.html

Here is an example of my setup in the calculator.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v504/F12Bwth2/Forums/FOVCalc.png

My monitor has 12" of vertical height and I sit 39 inches from the bottom and 40 inches from the top to my eye. The resulting angle is what my personal setups FOV is, 17 Degrees.

Trying to set rFactor to this low a FOV is not possible with the in-game setup options. Instead, you must exit rFactor and edit the .cam files for the cars you want adjusted with notepad. Yes every mod would need adjustment should you decide to change them all below 35 Degrees.

Cam Files are located in "X:\rFactor\GameData\Vehicles\Modname\Carname\Carna me_Cams.cam"

When opened you will be presented with every camera available for the car. Starting with Nosecam, Cockpit, TV Cockpit, Swingman, Onboard1 etc etc. The one we are concerned with here is the Cockpit view. This allows for headbob and look to apex to remain intact. The default may differ per mod.

EXAMPLE CODE
Code:
LocalCam=COCKPIT
{
  Fov=(60.000000, 60.00000)
  Clear=TRUE
  Color=(164, 218, 249)
  ClipPlanes=(0.075000, 700.000000)
  LODMultiplier=(1.000000)
  Size=(1.000000, 1.000000)
  Center=(0.500000, 0.500000)
  MipmapLODBias=(0.000000)
  Flags1=(0)
  Flags2=(0)
  RadiusLimits=(0.000000, 0.000000)
  OrientationRate=(999.000000, 999.000000, 999.000000)
  PositionOffset=(0, -0.1, 0)
  OrientationOffset=(-0.070000, 0.000000, 0.000000)
  Radius=(0.000000)
The"Fov=(60.00000000, 60.000000)" Must be changed to "Fov=(17.0000, 17.0000)" or whatever yours calculates to be.

* I also remove the "7" from the OrientationOffset line making it all 0's. This will level the view.

Remember, once back in-game the FOV setting must be set to "default" for rfactor to use this adjustment in the cam file.

NOTE: I also opened and changed the Headphysics.ini per mod editing the

HeadMass=6.0 to HeadMass=3.0

making my head lighter causing less intense bounce with the new zoomed view.

You can also use the head movement removal technique from this thread I found here at RD. http://www.racedepartment.com/rfactor/22330-how-get-rid-head-movement-rfactor.html

Here is an example of my adjusted FOV of (17 Degrees)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v504/F12Bwth2/Game Screens/rFactor2010-04-1603-08-12-65.jpg

VIDEO OF ME ON THE NORDSCHLIEFE @ 17d FOV (Note how much more prominent the banks and gradients feel)

And here it is when you view it from real life.

As a scary example here is a single lap of Bathurst replayed in the VLN mods default cockpit FOV of 62.5 Vs an adjusted 20.5
Note the completely different(realistic) sense of distance.

Here is a screenshot from a friend who is running SoftTH and we calculated he needed around 18.5 degrees of V-FOV in-game. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v504/F12Bwth2/Game Screens/SoftTH_rFactor_000163677824.jpg

Now other then setting the correct In-Game FOV you will most likely have to customize the camera position and angle. This can be done in 3 ways.

First is the simplest by just adjusting you seat position. Most times this is good enough.

More severe editing requires that the "PositionOffset" and "OrientationOffset" lines in the cam file be permanently altered changing the origins and angles of the camera in game. This method requires you to leave the game to make adjustments and then return to see the results. An annoyance since you never really can be sure how great an impact a small change can have. NOTE: I believe the increments are in METERS.. So changing 0.1 to 1.0 would move your in-game camera 3 feet! I use it to make some right hand drive cars into Left hand drive EXAMPLE Bathurst Legends Ford

The last method for adjusting your camera position is on the fly is with Cam-Controls.

To use the cam-controls offered in rFactor you must bind them all. They are Cam up, down, left , right, forward, backward, tilt up, etc, etc, etc. These can also be bound to analog inputs which I do recommend. Using a joystick for more finite controls helps greatly. There is also a "slow" key you can define to slow the movement of your adjustments.

To change your in-car (or any) view you must first enable/toggle "free-move". Another key you may need to bind.

Once Free-Move is on you can use your cam-controls to move the camera around to infinite extremes. You will however notice that the movement is not based around the cars position but the worlds X,Y,Z. So up may only be strait up when on flat ground and forward may move the camera sideways or back depending on the cars orientation on the track. It is up to you to sort out and correctly move the camera into position every time the car is reset.

Once set the view can easily be lost by pressing "Esc" while in practice and can lose "tilt" even if you only change camera views. Perhaps the most dangerous part of this method is the fact that since "free-look" MUST be enabled for the view to stay, the slightest mouse movement can cause your view to spin. Not the best situation while racing. These are the limitations of this method but it is far easier and faster than editing every cam file individually.

CAM ADJUSTMENT TUTORIAL VIDEO
(This video has some errors I have worked out since)

Since originally writing this tutorial I have moved my monitor 5" closer so my v-FOV is now 20.5 degrees. That looks like this.

After several months at my perfect fov I find it very difficult to drive with it set to anything else.

I have found out how to enable the virtual mirrors in cockpit view. It greatly enhances the playability of a low FOV.

Go into your rFactor\Userdata\Your Name\Your Name.PLR file and edit the following line. It will not effect server join-ability.

Near the bottom:

[ Graphic Options ]
Broadcast Overlay="0"
Texture Detail="3"
Vertical FOV Angle="34" // 34=use default, otherwise is the FOV for attached cameras (horiz is calculated based on aspect ratio)
Rearview="1" // 0=Off, 1=Center and Side, 2=Center only, 3=Side only (virtual mirrors only, in-car mirrors are on/off)
Allow Rearview In Swingman="0"

Virtual Rearview In Cockpit="1"

Set it to 1 and you are good to go.

I encourage everyone to try their perfect FOV for a day or so. If you can move your monitor closer while racing that may make a huge difference in the feasibility of using a low FOV.

Hi Steven

I'm not convinced. I had a bit of a play last night and it certainly feels weird. Like you say, the undulations of the track are very much more pronounced, that's one upside. What I didn't like was the the feeling of speed is much reduced and it somehow feels like I'm looking through someone's ultra-powerful spectacles! Maybe there are some other settings I could tweak.

I don't know if that's correct or not, but it would definitely take some getting used to.

Thanks for the guide, I'll have a bit more of a play around this weekend.

Cheers :cool:

What I didn't like was the the feeling of speed is much reduced

Yes, unfortunately without a triple-head or large screen(Projector Large) you will lose nearly all the "tree's whizzing by" seen at the sides of your screen in default fov. That alone is what tells your brain you're moving fast. As you can see in the side by side you arent moving any slower, your brain is just unable to fake that sense of speed. However, judging of distance should be more realistic.

EDIT: What did your FOV Calculate to be?

Interesting stuff, I always drive with the fov very close in anyway but will have to try some of the methods here, why do you need triplehead, just buy an ATI card and use 3 mismatched monitors, thats what I do when I can borrow another couple of monitors, I did it for the RDLMS races and eyefinity is brilliant, also when did RSC come back ? I thought it was gone forever.

I think you need a 5 series ATI card for eyefinity, I have a 5850 with 2 DVI and a displayport, I use a 20 quid displayport to VGA cable for the third monitor, getting back to the FOV on the FSONE09 mod I was using a FOV of 55 but now have it at 42 and it is a big improvement, I can see and hit the apex's much easier and it feels as if I am lower and tucked into the drivers seat.

Have to say, a few of us were doing a bit of GTL practice last night, and GTL allows you to adjust FOV in car using Ctrl+mouse.

It goes far enough in so the view was sitting atop the instrument binnacle - similar to your example video at the Nords.

The first few laps were very, very weird for us all - the biggest problem being braking distances as the track markers disappeared that much sooner on the lower FOV, but come the end of the session, with the compromises like virtual mirror and a HUD rev counter in place to make sure we weren't eating the engine nor driving in to people, it pretty much got 100% thumbs up from those of us who tried it.

I'll probably have a crack at the rfactor thing now, after the results from last night

I have figured out how to change the FOV used in the mirrors of rfactor (Finally!)

Here is a video showing the adjustment I am using. Ignore the crashing bit.

You must again edit the YourUsername.PLR file found in the "rfactor>userdata>YourUsername" folder.

I recommend using Notepad++ to make finding the lines easier. DOWNLOAD: http://download.tuxfamily.org/notepa....Installer.exe

What we are looking at starts at line 177 I have changed all the comments to better explain what they are and if you should change them. Bold for important

Virtual Rearview In Cockpit="1" //<< Make sure this is set for a corrected FOV
Rearview Width="64.00000"// <<IGNORE (Affects Nothing)
Rearview Height="4.00000" //<< This is the line used to adjust the mirrors FOV. Higher Numbers are wider (Default 14!)
Rearview Cull="0" //<< Change this to 0 to force it to render all objects
Seat Adjustment Aft="-0.08200" //IGNORE
Seat Adjustment Up="0.03600" //IGNORE
Mirror Adjustment Horizontal="0.00000" //IGNORE
Mirror Adjustment Vertical="0.00000" //IGNORE
Cockpit Vibration Mult1="0.65000" // << Lower these from 1 to reduce headshake at high speed.
Cockpit Vibration Freq1="35.00000" // IGNORE
Cockpit Vibration Mult2="0.75000" // << Lower these from 1 to reduce headshake at high speed.
Cockpit Vibration Freq2="50.00000" // IGNORE
Moving Rearview="0" // << Set this to 0 to lock the rearview's position. Otherwise it gets funky.
Rearview_Front_Clip="0.00000" // IGNORE
Rearview_Back_Clip="500.00000" // Set this to the distance you want the rear view distance to be
Rearview Particles="1"
Self In TV Rearview="0" // IGNORE
Self In Cockpit Rearview="0" // << Make sure this is 0 or you will appear in your rearview
Backfire Anim Speed="70.00000"// << Change this because 20 is stupid slow.

Now, you may need to play with that (Rearview Height="XXX") number until you are comfortable. I think 4 works best for me. Good Luck

** I have also adjusted the Look Ahead angle to be greater because I do not have head tracking. That is on lines 237-240
Leanahead Angle="0.10000" // I turned this up a bit
Look Roll Angle="0.55000" // rotates (barrel roll) your view as you turn
Glance Angle="1.40000" // For the Look Left Look Right Keys (This number is WAY to high! Do not use 1.4!)
Lookahead Angle="0.40000" // this maxes out at 20 with lookahead in-game set to 100%. I doubled it. If you set it to 1.80 you can see out the side windows while driving. Which is weird.

Watching your FreeCam Adjustment vid made me think of a cool little plugin or util for someone clever to make that would make it so you could do that ingame manual adjustment to where you like it,then hit an assigned key to save it there permanently for that car,maybe an easier little tool would be one that displayed the changing values corresponding to your .cam file so when you get it moved where you like in FreeCam you can jot down the values to edit....cool or what? :D,any takers?.

or just the knowledge of if the tool could be made.

I'm sure theres enough knowledge floating around here to maybe give an indication of whats possible,if it wasnt for the fact the ORSM guys have more than enough on their plate just with trying to get the new V8s released,then thats the kind of door i would be knocking on and see what they think,im sure any of the top notch modding crews will have a proper book reading smarts person who would at the very least be able to say "forget about it" or "easy peasy lemon squeezy".

Thank Your for this tutorial so much!
I give it a try with 2010 WTCC Cruze, i testing for a race on Oschersleben on Sunday. I set up fov 27, it must be lower for my screen distance, but i want to see the car's rev limiter. I ran 5 laps for a quick test, the impressions:
1. lap: Ouch this is so wierd! I'm sliding away, I'm slow! 1:40.1
2. lap: Ok a bit better now, but still wierd, I can't drive so clean. 1:39.5
3. lap: Getting better. 1:39.2
4. lap: Much better, but I feel slow yet. 1:38.5
5. lap: Not bad, but I feel to much sliding. 1:38.2 WTF, that lap couldn't be that good, the first sector is PB:eek:

My PB 1:38.1 on this track, I ran it 2 days ago. I felt the last lap much slower, but i think it could be that i could sense much better the car, and a little sliding or mistake seems bigger, which is very good!
Tomorrow I will lay order my desk, to put the screen right behind the wheel, count the proper fow, and give it a longer try. If i can put a 37' lap on the server's hot laps, the others will kill me:wink:, i'm already a second ahead:cool:

Steven, Thanks for the FOV lesson. I stumbled across this a while ago and tried it with my single screen setup. I liked the way it emersed you into the car but I couldn't see jack **** especially when coming up to the apex, I was turning in all over the shop. So i had to revert back to default. However since i recently finished my eyefinity upgrade and re tested my ideal driving view I'm now Loving it. it looks especially good in open wheelers as well, gave me that sence of being in the car, Thanks for your efforts muchly appreciated. Cheers..

View attachment 36277View attachment 36279View attachment 36278View attachment 36280

pictures on Nurnberg GP as an example and used Cam's as seen in your instruction video.

Can i add the following theory after reading this article. Which made me thinking about the proportianally in game to real view as a simple formula.

Meaning just recalculate the carscreen to your monitor measurements.

(width monitor / width real carscreen) * 100 % = FOV width.

(height monitor / heigt real carscreen) * 100 % = FOV depth on track.

So for an example 24 inch monitor.

(width 53 cm / screen Chrysler NEON 120 cm) * 100 % = 44 % FOV width.

(height 30 cm / screen Chrysler NEON 40 cm) * 100 % = 75 % FOV depth.

So the CAM-bestand can look like this. rFactor/GameData/Vehicles/car...

LocalCam=COCKPIT

{

Fov=(44.000000, 75)

Clear=TRUE

Color=(164, 218, 249)

ClipPlanes=(0.075000, 700.000000)

LODMultiplier=(1.000000)

Size=(1.000000, 1.000000)

Center=(0.500000, 0.500000)

MipmapLODBias=(0.000000)

Flags1=(0)

Flags2=(0)

RadiusLimits=(0.000000, 0.000000)

OrientationRate=(999.000000, 999.000000, 999.000000)

PositionOffset=(0.0, -0.1, 0.0) // PositionOffset=(0.000000, 0.000000, -0.010000)

OrientationOffset=(-0.070000, 0.000000, 0.000000)

Radius=(0.000000)

Well the only issue would be that the first part of the Fov=(44.000000, 75) doesn't actually do anything (disabled by ISI to keep improperly calculated numbers from skewing the image). The second number which represents the vertical does works with adjustment but as the DEGREES of that angle.. Not a percentage out of 100.

I think what you are getting at can be worked out but with much more complex measurements.

Essentially if your windscreen was 40CM tall and you sat 120CM from it in real life and you wanted to match it in-game. You would need to draw out that same shaped triangle with your screen and distance to achieve a "nothing but windscreen" view.

My 12 inch high 34 inch away screen calculates 20.5 degrees. I have my seat back in-game or else I wouldn't see any dash and the view would be perfect.

View attachment 36321View attachment 36320View attachment 36319

Today i made some photo's in my car for which view we see and we can achieve.

The photo's i made from the normal view when we look straight ahead. (right picture)

The photo in the middle is what we normally see with just a small eyemovent is the middle photo.

So for having the best view, with this article in mind, i choose for the setup i've made shown on the left picture taken in the game. (this is what we normally see when looking straight ahead in a left driven car)

Setup made:

Local cam = cockpit (75, 75) and a little seat correction.

Local cam = TV cockpit (70,70)

These setups are driven with a 400 degrees rotation of my wheel, which give a good response and behaviour to this field of view.

(tried several FOV and other settings may influence your response of the back. outbreaking from the backside)

PS tried to make another formula, but my mathematics arent that good.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 93 12.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 69 9.4%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 73 9.9%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 45 6.1%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 102 13.8%