Server setup with mods.

Good afternoon my fellow sim racing brethren.
I'm having a really frustrating issue and I can't find a solution. I'm hoping one of you lovely peeps can help save my sanity.

I'm trying to work out how to host a server that contains both a modded track and modded cars.
I have run servers with no modifications so know how to set one up, but as soon as I add a mod it all stops. My friends can't join even after we made sure we both had the same mod versions.

Please can someone put me out of my misery.

Many thanks in advance.

Pawi

Should be pretty simple. Make sure you have your mods installed in your content folder, as normal. Then in the server app there should be a button at the bottom that says something like "Update Content", click that and it will populate your server folder with your mods, then pick them just like you would any other car/track from the list and Bob's your uncle.

Should be pretty simple. Make sure you have your mods installed in your content folder, as normal. Then in the server app there should be a button at the bottom that says something like "Update Content", click that and it will populate your server folder with your mods, then pick them just like you would any other car/track from the list and Bob's your uncle.

Thanks for the reply Brandon. That's what i'm doing but still no luck. Might try a fresh install of the game plus mods.

I never click that "update" button.
I simply put all mod tracks and cars in the usual content directories of the game, not even under "server".
Everything runs just fine.

That's weird. If they're not in the server content folder they shouldn't be visible in the server app. I used to manually put them in the server folder to get them to work, before I knew what the "update content" button did.

Thats what I had figured the first time too and I was wondering why there were no mod tracks showing up. After that I moved everything into the game's content folders as a test and bang, all there.

Don't ask me why but te server folders are empty now and the server manager takes everyhting from the base dirs.

Give it a try, see if it makes a difference for you.

My path to custom tracks is indeed: \steamapps\common\assettocorsa\content\tracks

And no additional files anywhere in: \steamapps\common\assettocorsa\server

You, sir, are a legend. I for some reason had car and track data inside the server data folder. Deleted it all and boom! working like a charm. Thank you very very much.

I'll test if they need to be in the server folder to show up in the manager tomorrow but what I can tell you:
Without the surface, models (if multiple layouts) and drs zone ini files you won't have cheat prevention.
Funny thing: you can run a separate dedicated server without any content files at all. The server cfg just tells the local assetto corsas what to load.
Ever got a checksum error when connecting? That's when the files don't match.

So every server host definitely makes sure to have the correct files in there!
For a little race with a friend it won't be needed though I guess :)

The "update content" button just copies the needed files from the game's content folder into the server folder. You can do it manually too of course. Just to repeat what's been said in another way :p

I'll test if they need to be in the server folder to show up in the manager tomorrow but what I can tell you:
Without the surface, models (if multiple layouts) and drs zone ini files you won't have cheat prevention.
Funny thing: you can run a separate dedicated server without any content files at all. The server cfg just tells the local assetto corsas what to load.
Ever got a checksum error when connecting? That's when the files don't match.

So every server host definitely makes sure to have the correct files in there!
For a little race with a friend it won't be needed though I guess :)

The "update content" button just copies the needed files from the game's content folder into the server folder. You can do it manually too of course. Just to repeat what's been said in another way :p

I've never had a checksum error. All that was happening prior to the deletion of the files server side, was that 1) the server just wouldn't be visible or 2) the server would go to the loading splash screen and then revert straight back to the server list page. No errors.

Was working like a charm last night so i'm a happy bunny.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 256 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 169 10.1%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 167 10.0%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 125 7.5%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 231 13.8%