Server lag in v1.1

Ramon van Rijn

RaceDepartment Co-Founder
Premium
Since version 1.1 we noticed some lag on the server where especially collision detection flaws.
Any other with the same experience and know the answer to this problem? Before v1.1 release we had no problems at all (including v1.1. beta).

I don’t know the answer is, but I’ve had lag in v1.1 everytime someone joins, and the collision detection does seem a bit odd judging by some of the incidents that have occurred in the pitlane at Crema (but the cars are closer together than they would ordinarily be (whilst escaping to the pits etc)).

For me the most stable version was Beta 2. Online racing was a delight but later releases caused the weird lag that Ramon describes, resulting in some strange accidents.

Haven't had the time to test the newest release. Lets hope its fixed

Since version 1.1 we noticed some lag on the server where especially collision detection flaws.
Any other with the same experience and know the answer to this problem? Before v1.1 release we had no problems at all (including v1.1. beta).

Like CAR said, you always get some lag when someone new connects. I've heard guys that don't have that problem but I think it has something to do with you rig. I have it to too and I'm using a low end Core2Duo processor.

The net code in nKP is very... very sensitive, in a way if one of the drivers is lagging the other 14 are gonna notice that. One lagger can affect everyone on the track, doesn't matter if they are close or not. That's why the best thing to do is to kill every background task (downloading/msn/bittorrent) before you start an online race and if possible definitely use an wired connection. I have to say that I do use teamspeak when racing but my ping is always very low, and luckily haven't noticed problems with that.

Since final 1.1 I raced on a couple of servers (Race2Play) where in the beta I never had problems but now I do. It does seem something has changed but when looking at the pings (which are most of the time quite unrealistic) I think most of the problems are caused by poor connection of one of the drivers. Adding the fact that nKP doesn't have a "soft collision cushion" like for say rFactor it can sometimes feel a bit harsh.

Hope this helps a little bit, have fun :)

I think it is within nKPro 1.1 or the configuration of it. Because in the beta it was not, now confirmed by more people.

My rig should do the trick, connected to 80/10mbit internet, intel i7, Ati4870x2, 12Gb ram... Think i can handle the game :)
We ran events in the past pre-v1.1 without problems. It is a problem since the final of v1.1.

I will also check drivingitalia forums for a solution.

yeah there are real problems with lag on alot of the public servers. The race-connect one stops my fps for a full second or so - usually in the middle of a cnr - and is almost undrivable. One thing that the game really needs is a closed race session. people joing after a race has started is just annoying and unhelpful.

Tonight we had an event; others seemed to have a good ping. I was showing 65000 ping to others.
Tried another nic in my pc. Same.

I checked internet speed directly to my provider; 90mbit/8mbit with only 8ms ping.
Speedtest against another server (speedtest.net) was 14ms ping.

I did several tests to make sure it is somewhat stable.

It seems my game is just lagging/having a high ping for no reason. Maybe a setting which is not correct. I might reinstall nkpro from scratch again.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 222 14.7%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 154 10.2%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 150 9.9%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 116 7.7%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 216 14.3%