Server Hosting

You can host yourself. :)

A wired internet connection to your PC is mandatory. (no wifi)

First you need to know: what's your upload speed and ping. ==> http://www.speedtest.net
Download speed is in most cases not the problem.

- Ping lower as 50ms is good = lower is better.
- upload speed:
1 Mbs = 10 drivers
2 Mbs = 15 drivers
3 Mbs = 20 drivers
5 Mbs = 30 drivers

I've hosted a RD event with 20 drivers with an upload speed of 2Mbs. Nobody noticed. :whistling:

You can host yourself. :)

A wired internet connection to your PC is mandatory. (no wifi)

First you need to know: what's your upload speed and ping. ==> http://www.speedtest.net
Download speed is in most cases not the problem.

- Ping lower as 50ms is good = lower is better.
- upload speed:
1 Mbs = 10 drivers
2 Mbs = 15 drivers
3 Mbs = 20 drivers
5 Mbs = 30 drivers

I've hosted a RD event with 20 drivers with an upload speed of 2Mbs. Nobody noticed. :whistling:
Whenever I host a server through the rFactor 2 thing nobody can ever connect, the join button never appears on the server list...

This is this is because of the simulation port. It needs to be forwarded in your router.
Next thing is Vmod "mod" not found. This is because you need to forward the HTTP port.

By default these ports are: (But you can change these in the multiplayer.ini)
"Simulation Port":54297, (TCP and UDP)
"HTTP Server Port":64297, (TCP)

In my case it looks like this:
Schermafdruk 2015-07-05 17.24.08.png

("Beide" is both (TCP and UDP) in english)

Forward them in your router: Each router has it's own forwarding thingy's:
You might find your router here: http://portforward.com/english/applications/port_forwarding/rFactor2/

Note: Every time you reboot your PC: your Local IP from your PC might change: you need to change it in your router settings. Or set a static IP.
But i'm lazy and check my local IP if i want to host. :whistling:

Firewall: If you open the dedicated.exe or click on hosting in the rF2 the first time. You'll get a popup and windows asks you to open the firewall for rF2. ==> So you only need to click "OK" or "Yes".

This is this is because of the simulation port. It needs to be forwarded in your router.
Next thing is Vmod "mod" not found. This is because you need to forward the HTTP port.

By default these ports are: (But you can change these in the multiplayer.ini)
"Simulation Port":54297, (TCP and UDP)
"HTTP Server Port":64297, (TCP)

In my case it looks like this:
View attachment 98100
("Beide" is both (TCP and UDP) in english)

Forward them in your router: Each router has it's own forwarding thingy's:
You might find your router here: http://portforward.com/english/applications/port_forwarding/rFactor2/

Note: Every time you reboot your PC: your Local IP from your PC might change: you need to change it in your router settings. Or set a static IP.
But i'm lazy and check my local IP if i want to host. :whistling:

Firewall: If you open the dedicated.exe or click on hosting in the rF2 the first time. You'll get a popup and windows asks you to open the firewall for rF2. ==> So you only need to click "OK" or "Yes".
What connection type would I set the server up as?

I ported it and now I can't even join my own server as it says the series is not installed...

- Remove spaces in the Vmod file name (example: James Early.rfmod ==> James_Early.rfmod)
- Un-install the Vmod and install it again. + restart your dedicated server.exe
- The Vmod needs to be in the packages folder from the install you are hosting from

- Check your multiplayer.ini. ports (maybe they are not the default ports)
- Make sure you've ported the correct ports.
- Check correct TCP and UDP. (Set them to both to both ports, if you are not sure)
- Check your local IP in the port-forwarding.

What connection type would I set the server up as?

Set it on custom and put it +/- 90% of your upload speed. So rF2 can throttle the connection speeds before it runs out of bandwidth. ==> This is the key to host on "low" bandwidth. ;)
- Example: if your upload speed is 3Mbs set it on +/-2700kbs upload speed and download speed in the dedicated server program.

- Remove spaces in the Vmod file name (example: James Early.rfmod ==> James_Early.rfmod)
- Un-install the Vmod and install it again. + restart your dedicated server.exe
- The Vmod needs to be in the packages folder from the install you are hosting from

- Check your multiplayer.ini. ports (maybe they are not the default ports)
- Make sure you've ported the correct ports.
- Check correct TCP and UDP. (Set them to both to both ports, if you are not sure)
- Check your local IP in the port-forwarding.

Set it on custom and put it +/- 90% of your upload speed. So rF2 can throttle the connection speeds before it runs out of bandwidth. ==> This is the key to host on "low" bandwidth. ;)
- Example: if your upload speed is 3Mbs set it on +/-2700kbs upload speed and download speed in the dedicated server program.
I've done all of that and sadly it still says the same thing... I guess there is not much else I can do now.

The key here is to set the speed (this goes for upload and download speeds) to a speed that your connection can guarantee to handle. It's most certainly a lot lower than what your ISP advertises, and Gijs' advice to set it to about 90% of your measured speed is probably a "safe" option.

Note that setting it too low is not as bad as setting it too high. If you set it too high, rFactor 2 will think it has more bandwidth than it actually has and (with enough clients) will try to use all of it. That will fail and cause problems.

It is a shame this is so complicated to make online lobby/race and maybe explains why so few people run rF2 online.I for one will not touch the settings and applications being described here - for the masses and dummies like me this has got to be simplified.
There are a number of Sims who do this setting up online race very well and easy - almost two decades ago GPL and Nascar 2003 made online hosting system very simple - can't understand why this is an issue these days...

The complicated part is your router. Because it's different per router.
It's not the game.
Maybe not for you but for me (as a dummy) it is the game....
Example: This week have added an extra rig for my young son to race. I have Raceroom, pCars and rF2 installed for him on a PC.
In terms of setting up a dedicated server pCars is plug-and-play and very simple (even allows you to add AI), Raceroom is straight forward too - none of these do I have to go and do Router changes or whatever...
Thus for me as a dummy (and I am sure for the masses) I blame the game not my router - WTF is a router anyway if you know what I mean ;-)
I really enjoy rF2 and for my son as a junior karter I think it might be a cool training tool (better than Grand Theft Auto!!!) just a shame it's a whole song and dance to get to host rF2 online - I spent an hour trying to figure this port thing out but got scared to touch in case everything got messed up.
pCars & Raceroom are cool games too but more arcady imo so not ideal for training but will have to make do.

And on that note: whatever happened to good old LAN - we did it all the time in GPL - the crew brought their rigs to my house, set it all up, cracked open the beers and had some of the best racing ever!

Pcars and Race Room have the peer to peer for easy hosting. It's a bit unstable to host that way. But good enough for some fun.

Pcars and Race Room also has a dedicated server which is more reliable. But they require the steps to open ports.

LAN hosting is possible with rF2 and don't think you need to open ports to do it. But i've never done it ...

BTW: a LAN party! :rolleyes: That would be awesome. But i think only 5 people in Belgium are simracing... :unsure:

I've done all of that and sadly it still says the same thing... I guess there is not much else I can do now.

I could not get my head around this :redface:

Yet I hosted every day for 2+ years all day without issue till they joined Steam

Then it changed, joiners did not get the rfmod automatically downloaded anymore and you had to use Get Mod was like jumping through flaming hoops to me so I gave up hosting

Anyone wants to set up and maintain vmods for my room I will pay

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 78 7.0%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 121 10.8%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 163 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 308 27.6%
  • 100% offline racing