Seriously The Best Thing I Have Ever Done...

You expressed the emotions VERY well. I remember contemplating life and death while I was trying to go to sleep the night before I drove my laps. It's a very beautiful but eerie place isn't it? I feel lucky That I got to do it before I turned 30. Here's one of my laps in the VERY wet from 2 years ago in an RSR car. You'll see the track entrance/exit was closed when I finished my lap because 3 cars had hit barriers behind me... I definitely recommend driving it yourself at least once, but damn is it scary!

EH!!!!..Its bad enough waiting for him to catch us up sim racing:cautious::cautious:,never mind getting in a REAL car knocking out 450 horses ,:redface::redface:,can just picture the aussie T........................@*%$ missing the first Apex:thumbsdown::thumbsdown::whistling::whistling:,then saying...................."Well the brakes" were cold,was that a bit of oil on the track,oohhh its was a bit foggy,damp track................Me personally...Im staying put........................I no i will be SAFE:laugh::laugh::laugh::p:p:p:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:
I'll be getting a video of the experience, so I'll post it just so YOU can see what you missed.......miss the 1st apex......indeed......typical Birdbrain statement:p:D..........do I detect a slight tone of jealousy, you pommy knob;):roflmao::roflmao:

12-13h-IMG_4257.jpg

Agree 100% - the first time I drove a car on track it blew my mind, the first time I drove the Nordschleife I think it broke me. Motion platforms went out the window; there's no way to simulate the forces exerted on your body, particularly on a track with so much verticality. Two "quick" laps were enough to drain me physically and mentally.

I have a BMW M4 now - he's been on track a few times but neer the 'Schleife' so I'm long overdue another trip. Sorry brakes.

Cool write up and video Paul. The brakes were just as annoying as in R3E.:laugh: Also who was the guy holding the cellphone? I bet his footage was A..A..A..m..aa..z...z...ing...ly vomit inducing. :roflmao:

Superb stuff, everyone should go at least once.

I was lucky enough to live close to the 'ring for a couple of years and did the 'ring school that was running at the time. To this day it is still one of the best track experiences I've had. After quite a bit of classroom time we started out by following the instructors around like a line of ducklings in Clio's, the instructors explaining the track, corners, braking areas, lines etc. Over the 2 days, everyone's speed and confidence increased significantly and by the time we were let loose in an M3 it all felt like a natural progression. The instructor fast lap was still a highlight all the same. Above all, they taught us to stay within safe limits something that has served me well over many years.

Driving your own car is a must if you have the time and funds. I've been back in a few of my cars, the Megane R26.R was a real highlight thank you RenaultSport, what a weekend. Though I have to say the flat-out run-up Goodwood Hill in the Megane 275 Trophy R with Laurent Hurgon is equally a memory burned into my mind.

To bring this back to sim racing I find my real lap times incredibly close to what I can also achieve in the latest sims in the same/similar in-game cars. I think that is both testament to how good the 'ring training was and just how accurate the latest sims are, especially in VR.

This was definitely the right call...no need to be a hero the first time and (might) end up with an big fat bill.
Glad the weather was nice during your taxi lap(s).

I will add that when I did one of my laps I had a mate on board, and it was still wet off line.

It was when BMW had their full ring taxi service going, and I was going into the right hand loop before the Karussell, we came in there pretty quick and I saw a set of BMW lights behind me, so I moved to the right and he drifted across my nose in perfect style.

4 up of course. Those guys are on a different level!!

Does anyone know if the Expo is going to be a regular thing there? If so I would certainly be up for a sort of meet up. Might be a great way also to help with costs in places to stay etc, there are loads in the area and lots of things like flats to rent etc, so of you went in 3 or 4 ways could be a real steal.

And the more you save there, the more you are likely to spend on track!

Honestly, if you have never been, you simply have to go, it is truly a mesmerising place. You feel it for miles around, and the simple fact you can drive around the area and just pull off into a parking area and watch without paying, the fact you can go and find the Sudschleife while driving around the grounds of the GP track is amazing.

Some of the bars and restaurants are full of amazing memorabilia, the cars you will see everywhere, the people are friendly. Just a great place

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back