Serious stutter problem

Bram Hengeveld

Site Founder
Staff
Premium
I am using a Nvidia 260 GTX videocard and since today I seem to have some serious stutter issues in GSC. After a few minutes in a session the FPS drops and makes driving impossible.

Checked the temperature of the card and no issues there (60C). Anybody got a suggestion as this is new for me :)

Did you change anything recently, updated drivers e.g. nVidia 280 drivers were released a few weeks back? I'm running GTX580 and get massive frame rates 300-400 but still get a stutter and it's just not smooth like it should be, however it is slightly better *for me* since upgrading to 280 drivers. I've also turned down shadows to low and circuit detail and some other things to high.

I've seen a few posts in the rfactor forums and nvidia forums about people having bad experiences with rfactor based games and nvidia cards, but mostly the later 400-500 series of nvidia cards... wish I had purchased ATI now :eek:

I'm running GTX580 and get massive frame rates 300-400 but still get a stutter and it's just not smooth like it should be

I haven’t purchased Game Stock Car yet but I've been running r-Factor, every SimBin title released, netKarPro and iRacing on one of two i7 (975X, 980X) setups one with a Nvidia GTX 580 and the other with an AMD/ATI 5870.

As far as image quality/performance goes the GTX 580 does a much better job with the above mentioned titles.

One thing to keep in mind is that the smoothest game play your going to get is when the frame rate consistently matches the refresh rate of the monitor/display. If you are using an LCD the refresh rate is most likely 60Hz so as long as your system can maintain 60 fps (you've stated your frame rates are 300-400) enable v-sync if you want smooth game play.

Thanks for the info, but I've already tried v-sync and it's even worse, I've fixed the FR in the PLR file to -120 which seems to be a good balance setting, -60 or just 60 was choppy.

I don't get the stuttering in other games like Dirt3 and netKar so I'm really interested in what your GTX580 card is? I'm running an ASUS GTX580. Also would you mind posting your nVidia settings and your rFactor settings?

Thanks

Thanks for the info, but I've already tried v-sync and it's even worse, I've fixed the FR in the PLR file to -120 which seems to be a good balance setting, -60 or just 60 was choppy.

I don't get the stuttering in other games like Dirt3 and netKar so I'm really interested in what your GTX580 card is? I'm running an ASUS GTX580. Also would you mind posting your nVidia settings and your rFactor settings?

Thanks

I'm using an EVGA GTX 580 “SuperClocked” but it shouldn’t matter, even a stock clocked GTX 580 would be more than enough a game based on ISI's engine.

With all of the racing titles I've listed above (including F12010 & Dirt 2&3 in DirectX11) I run with v-sync enabled which is the smoothest game play I've seen out of any of them.

What are you using for a CPU with that card?

By the way I'm currently using the 280.36 drivers but have also used the 280.26's without any issues.

In the Nvidia control panel I have 8x super sampling AA and 16xAF enabled using the “override application setting”. Everthing is set to let the Nvidia control panel force image quality settings in the rFactor menu.

If it helps I can post some screens of the control panel settings when I get a chance.

I'm using an EVGA GTX 580 “SuperClocked” but it shouldn’t matter, even a stock clocked GTX 580 would be more than enough a game based on ISI's engine.

What are you using for a CPU with that card?

By the way I'm currently using the 280.36 drivers but have also used the 280.26's without any issues.

In the Nvidia control panel I have 8x super sampling AA and 16xAF enabled using the “override application setting”. Everthing is set to let the Nvidia control panel force image quality settings in the rFactor menu.

Thanks I tried v-sync again and it's very good now, I think I last tried v-sync with the older drivers and it was terrible, but since I updated to 280 it works fairly well and also rfDynHUD works fine with 280 drivers. The problem now is input lag or delayed response from the steering wheel, so I did a Google on v-sync and controller lag and wow almost a day's reading. Anyway I changed the "pre-rendered frames" or whatever it's called from 3 to 0 and it's probably the best it will get.

Problem is this is a give and take scenario, the graphic stuttering is no longer with v-sync on, but controller lag appears :-(

I don't run v-sync on anything else and it's fine, so I wonder if it's just a combination of my hardware and drivers. I'm running i7 960, 12G Ram, 2xSSD, Win7 x64 and the mainboard is a GigabyteX58A-UD3R, the ASUS GTX 580 is stock factory, no overclocking - Antivirus is off and I checked other background processes when running the game with process explorer and don't see anything really using any cpu or io.

At least it's getting better and easier to play, when I first loaded GSC I was getting headaches from the stutterng.

Thanks for help guys.

for input latency with vsync and nvidia card i use D3DOverrider from rivatuner tools (http://www.guru3d.com/index.php?page=rivatuner and http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=163). You can add triple buffering for direct3D games and that help a lot.

now i use softth 2.x there is allready a direct3D triple buffering so i don't use anymore d3doverrider.

i can't play without vsync, pure personal preference.

Good tip, I also have D3DOverrider on my windows startup. And it works perfectly for all Gmotor games EXCEPT Game Stock Car. It gives a CTD, and that's so weird because Rfactor works perfectly with it.

As far as stuttering is concerned, one of the causes is Antialiasing. I use nvinspector to set AA (4xS if I well remember) wich looks and works much better than AA 8x by the game config. Also opponent detail and shadow detail should be set to high, not max. Prerendered frames set to 0 and v-sync on.

now i use softth 2.x there is allready a direct3D triple buffering so i don't use anymore d3doverrider.

i can't play without vsync, pure personal preference.

Can you share some settings to get GSC to run with SoftTH 2.x ? I have tried removing the bik files. But it keeps loading to a blank screen and I never get the menu. rFactor etc never give me this problem. So it must be something with the map plugin or similar.

Thanks in advance!

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 252 15.2%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 168 10.1%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 167 10.1%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 125 7.5%
  • < 5 years