Alright when was that again.....?

I'm surprised people are not familiar with Circuits of the Past, the channel has been around for years.

I now live close to the start-finish area of the old Brno circuit. A while back, I drove through all the old layouts and recorded it, as the majority of even the longest, oldest layout inspired by Nordschleife still exists (though obviously a fair amount of the roads have been modernized). Sadly, I never got to make the videos out of it I originally intended, but perhaps one day I might. I also plan to do some side by side photo comparisons of "then" and "now".

I wish the old track had a better and more polished version available to race than the old GTR2 mod (that I think in itself is just an enhanced GPL mod).

IMG_1482.jpg

I do wonder what happens to Rosenqvist though...? Have not seen that addressed yet, but that young man is properly fast and needs to be in the series. We've had an absolute deluge of mega rookies in Indy over the past few years - Rosenqvist, Herta, Pato O'Ward, etc - gotta make sure we keep them in quick rides and keep the old timers honest!

Unless Ganassi is scaling back to a 2.5 car team, I don't see that this causes Frozenqvist to leave.
JJ's move is only for road and street courses, and it's not a done deal either: "officially explore the possibility of racing a full road and street course calendar" is the wording. Which to me reads like this is what they want to do, but they need to find the sponsors to make it happen.
As Ganassi stopped their Ford GT stuff for 2020, I am sure they have some spare resources they can put in to a part-time 4th entry in IndyCar, and maybe a 3rd entry for selected NASCAR-races for Johnson as well (e.g Daytona 500).

Oh, in continuation to my last post in this thread - I forgot to mention;
Did you ever try to go on vacation and then years later experiencing that you just missed an important spot? Happened plenty times for me, as my historic knowledge grew.
Remember once in mid 90ies being in Zwickau for a couple of days and town name 'said me something' (yes, my historic knowledge was sporadic by then) and even went past the August Horch Museum without entering. And then few years later reading about DDR motorsports history and that I completely missed the old Sachsenring and every important motorsports thing about Zwickau. How embarrassing.

A couple of weeks ago I was reminded again since the old part of Sachsenring was in rumors for being compensation host for the cancelled cycling world championships in Martigny, Switzerland (funny thing: Cycling WC 2020 is going to be in Imola even entering Autodromo Enzo e Dino Ferrari, though clockwise entering at Variante Alta and leaving at Rivazza for a 28K circuit, ok offtopic) .
And remember some 10 years ago being simracing old Sachsenring past the streets of Hohenstein-Ernstall in a quality rFactor mod. And a Youtube clip which was available right from the start of YT in 2005. Luckily I found it re-uploaded:

So modders at AC, rF2, AMS2 - it's up for grabs :D
Edit, btw: Circuits of the Past has 'done' the old Sachsenring as well:

Last edited:
This is major news! A Nascar legend leaving for Indycar. I never thought I would see that. Part of me thinks that this is a slap in the face of Nascar.

Johnson is a massively talented driver and I hope he does well. One driver I would love to see make the switch is Kyle Busch. Not the most likable guy, but another supremely gifted driver.

Sergio Pérez has announced that he will leave Racing Point at the end of this season.
  • The Mexican driver joined the team in 2014 back when it was known as Force India, after two seasons at Sauber, and one with McLaren.
  • He has achieved five podiums and scored 486 points with the Silverstone-based team, finishing a career best 7th in the drivers' championship in 2016 and 2017.
  • Perez confirmed the news himself via Twitter, fuelling suspicions that his team has lined up 4-time world champion, Sebastian Vettel for 2021.
This evening, Sergio Pérez announced that he would be parting ways with his team of 7 years at the end of the current season. The news has come amidst speculation that Racing Point - which will become Aston Martin from next season - has been trying to sign Sebastian Vettel as the team enter a new era.

The Mexican driver took to Twitter to make his announcement, making it clear that he would stay in Formula One next year should the right opportunity come up:

"I don't have a plan B. My intention is to continue racing here, but that would depend on finding a project that motivates me to continue giving my 100 percent on each lap.

"I hope I can give you some good news real soon, but for now, let's enjoy together the next races."

It would be wrong not to mention the great deal Pérez has done for the team over the years, both on and off track. While the team was in the middle of its financial crisis in 2018, he played a key role in leading the team into the administration process which allowed the takeover that saved many jobs:

"It hurts a bit as I bet on the team during very rough times; we managed to overcome obstacles and I am very proud of saving the jobs of several of my team-mates.
"I'll keep the memories of the great moments lived together, the friendships and the satisfaction of always giving my all. I will always be grateful for the opportunity given to me Vijay Mallya, who believed in me in 2014 and allowed me to continue my F1 career with Force India.
"To the current administration, led by Lawrence Stroll, I wish nothing but the best for the future, specially with the upcoming Aston Martin project."

Racing Point team boss, Otmar Szafnauer thanked Pérez in a statement made later by his team:

"Checo has been part of the Silverstone family for seven years and in that time has become one of the most complete drivers on the grid. Blisteringly quick on Saturday and Sunday, he's established his reputation as a tenacious racer and together we have enjoyed some fantastic moments.
"If there was ever a sniff of a podium, Checo was ready to pounce, and those five podiums represent some of the finest days in the history of this team. Outside of the car, Checo is a true character and a good friend, and it's been a pleasure working with him for such a long time. Although we will say goodbye at the end of the year, there are still nine races to go and plenty of opportunities for Checo to make some more special memories with this team."
In terms of finding out where his career goes from here, it seems that we will need to be patient. There are still seats available on next year's grid, with the more likely suitors being Alfa Romeo or Haas. There is still a free seat at Mercedes, although it is widely expected that Lewis Hamilton will stay on at the Silver Arrows.

As Pérez himself alluded to, should the right opportunity come along, he would be very happy to continue in the sport. He has become a very complete driver with strong qualifying and race pace, able to score points consistently, and would certainly be an asset to both Alfa Romeo and Haas.

What then of his replacement? Vettel is no doubt favourite for the Aston Martin seat, but will likely hold off from signing anything firm until any chance of landing a drive with Mercedes has well and truly gone. Watch this space.

18423984_10154841808623043_8479860837407495007_n.jpg

Last edited:
This move from RP makes no sense.
Personally I can see both sides of it.

From a performance perspective, it doesn't make much sense. Perez is a known quantity and has given the team a lot over the years. Furthermore, I imagine that Vettel will be a lot more expensive.

That said, I can see the attraction for Lawrence Stroll of having a world champion in the car, who he can use to promote the Aston Martin brand.

I agree it's better for marketing purposes, but the car will not be a front runner, I would venture. And we know how bad Vettel's decision making and race craft seems to have become, so I would expect a lot of incidences of him crashing into fellow midfield cars left right and centre...

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 296 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 205 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 199 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 147 7.6%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 262 13.6%