Sequential shifter, hard choice!

Hello all,

For a long time i drove my simracing games with the H shifter. I loved the hard work under racing but its no longer realistic. As a fan of GT cars i would like to switch to a realistic sequential shifter. My standard Fanatec seq. shifter is crappy and is resulting in double shifts.

Now, ive seen 2 affordable shifters so far:

1: The ARC team / Carbon sequential Gear - € 217,-

img_0337_1986436251.jpg

Or the #2: Derek Speare Designs / DSD Pro Seq. shifter - € 124, -

hpim1539.jpg

Maybe you guys have some experience with both of these shifters so you can tell me the differences. The shifter #1 is a lot more expensive. The question is: is it worth it?

I love mine too. It's an Alfa Romeo Selespeed shifter. It's small and compact but it requires a little more work than the BMW Steptronic in terms of wiring. A few videos of it in action in the RBR Movies section. I have a Frex Shift+ and EC Sim Pro Shift Step 2 as well.

Upvote 0
I really enjoy my Frex Shift+. I do not think it should not be in the contention IMO.
Also, not that I would EVER badmouth anything, nor is this what I am doing but the Derek Speare Sequential doesn't look as though it is as stiff as the Frex. By no means have I had a chance to use one, or been inside of a professional racecar with a sequential shifter to know better, but it just looks to easy. I like a very solid *chunk* feeling.
Just my stupid opinion. I've said it before and I'll say it again. Go Frex!

Or just make your own, can be more than 15$. I made my own paddle shifters and the cost difference more than made up for the authenticity. Not that they're cheap or un-realistic, there just not 400$ straight out of a LMP2.

Upvote 0
I love mine. It's. BMW E39 sequential shifter plugged into a Leo bodnar USB Board. Really solid feeling. Worth a look.

Is the wiring a complex task to get a BMW steptronic shifter to work as a usb device? I need a seq shifter and this looks like a nice option but my electronics skills are non existent.

Will any E39 steptronic shifter work? All else that's needed is a usb controller board and wiring/cables right? Any advice appreciated.

Also, is the sequential mode on the TH8RS actually any good because I'l probably get one anyway for h-pattern cars.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the link. It does look rather complicated to be honest, but that might just be the google translation. Guess I'l try to research more into it.

Upvote 0
I settled on a DSD shifter, very solid but mother of god it is loud . . too loud really. I'l need to build a solid metal frame before I can actually mount and use the shifter too, it's that tough :D

Upvote 0

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 72 7.3%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 102 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 143 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 268 27.3%
  • 100% offline racing