Physics Sense of Speed

I'd also look into your FOV at first. Note, that some games let you set the FOV in the horizontal pane, in others you adjust the vertical FOV, so numbers might be different.

I have the wind noise ramped up to 10 in the audio menu, while other sounds are on 5, as this seems more realistic to me. I remember that Stefano once said, that they have deliberately reduced the wind sound, as it could be annoying to many. Did you also notice, that there is no tyre sound in AC?

I'd also look into your FOV at first. Note, that some games let you set the FOV in the horizontal pane, in others you adjust the vertical FOV, so numbers might be different.

I have the wind noise ramped up to 10 in the audio menu, while other sounds are on 5, as this seems more realistic to me. I remember that Stefano once said, that they have deliberately reduced the wind sound, as it could be annoying to many. Did you also notice, that there is no tyre sound in AC?

I have tire sounds. I use vr so FOV is perfect.

If you use VR it also depends on how wide the FOV is your device offers. Afaik the Oculus FOV is something around 110° while in reality you have a (horizontal) FOV of around 200° with you eyes. So it will probably help your sense of speed if future VR devices offer a greater FOV.

Edit: don’t confuse FOV in VR with sense of scale in VR.

One thing I notice is that if you drive a track that has lots of roadside objects close to the road then the sense of speed is better as they rush through your peripheral vision. A lot of tracks tend to be quite open or have grass or distant roadside objects so you don't have so many points of reference for that sense of speed.

One thing I notice is that if you drive a track that has lots of roadside objects close to the road then the sense of speed is better as they rush through your peripheral vision. A lot of tracks tend to be quite open or have grass or distant roadside objects so you don't have so many points of reference for that sense of speed.
That's true, if you drive Silverstone you feel like standing still compared to a track like Macau. Still, the same tracks with the same FOV in the same sims should give more or less the same sense of speed. With my very low FOV of 26° on my triples I cannot say AC seems particularily slow to me compared to eg rF2 or AMS.

But the wheel definitely feels different from speeds of 10 mph to over 100 mph. Plus general road noise Increasing in volume. Some cars would even turn up the radio automatically with speed years ago.
Stefano did try to address this with the gyro thing. Sorry I can't remember the name.
Is it still available?

Thanks for the help guys!

Sense of speed in 2D can be enhanced with RHM plugin though it introduces new problems.
I don't know if it can be used with VR and if it makes sense. Worth checking.

To already mentioned roadside objects close to the road I would add track textures that influence sense of speed.

Sense of speed in 2D can be enhanced with RHM plugin though it introduces new problems.
I don't know if it can be used with VR and if it makes sense. Worth checking.

To already mentioned roadside objects close to the road I would add track textures that influence sense of speed.
What is RHM?

I have no idea, but I believe there are more than just FOV, maybe different graphical engines has some differences in the way perspective gets presented.

A lot sense of speed comes from seeing more objects, and most importantly more objects in peripheral vision.

But sense of speed also is affected a lot by the rate that objects appear to get larger as you come closer. Even though it is also greatly affected by FOV, I just think there is more to it.

It is actually a bit of physics there - optics :D

I don't have VR but I remember some guys saying that there must be something wrong with the world scale in AC, as everything looks a Bit small in VR. Maybe that's what OP means? Kunos didn't bother to include a world scale setting

Anyone could manage to make screenshots of different sims with same FOV settings at same spot in Dottinger Hohe, and notice how small/big bridge and castle and road width appears to be in a distance ? Might answer this sense of speed mystery.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 105 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 136 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 189 14.3%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 374 28.2%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 516 38.9%