Senna & Ratzenberger - The San Marino Weekend 25 Years On

I was able to watch Senna's F1 Career from the very beginning. He certainly had a great talent but he was utterly ruthless in his pursuit of fame. Around 1986 I began to have doubts and by Portugal in 1988 those doubts crystalised. While I was well aware of his talents as a driver in F1 my doubts concerning his character on track coloured my opinions of the man. I firmly believed he would never survive F1 and Imola was no suprise to me. Sadly his lasting legacy seems to have been 'It's just racing running the opposition off track', taken up enthusiastly by one Michael Schumacher.
Having been present when Jim Clark arrived in Formula 1 I was shattered by his death in 1968, equally so when Gilles Villeneuve died in Belgium.
Senna has become larger than life via generations who never saw hime race in real life, while Roland Ratzenberger, sadly, would have been forgotten long ago if he had not died at Imola during the same weekend as Senna.

The duel with Mansell at the new Barcelona GP was what made me take notice as an 8 year old. I didnt understand how that was possible, how the vapours were coming off the rear wings, the sparks, the speed and ferocity of the sport. BUT also the respect between to men battling it out tooth and nail.

https://peterattiamd.com/ayrtonsenna/ is a podcast I've just listened to about him, with two really cool ppl. If you listen to Rogan you'll know P. Attia MD. Apologies if links are forbidden, please amend if I've breached the rules.

Obrigado Senna e Ratzenberger.

So sad, the audacity of some people in here...

Here's a thread just in remembrance of one of the best drivers ever in the sport, one whose driving inspired countless others to become champions themselves, who lost his life through no fault of his own (to the one who said he was destined to die on track purely from past actions), and people just have to leave their 2 cents about how much of a <insert expletive> they thought a dead man was. Everybody remembers what he did to Prost in Japan '90 (which he at least confessed to, by the way...can't say the same for Schumacher for example), but rarely anyone mentions what he did for Comas in Belgium '92 (when all other drivers on the scene just drove by), how he has mentored upcoming talent and how he gave back to the youth of Brazil...because that doesn't fit the narrative of painting Aryton as the eternal enemy. I've even heard people get upset with Senna for trying to help Comas because he wasn't an EMT/Doctor :O_o:...if he didn't turn the engine off there may have been no Comas left for a doctor to save.

Before you judge Senna for having failings as a human, ask yourself this: was Alain a perfect person? Was Michael? Fernando? Have you been perfect and without fault in all the things you've done in your life? Senna may have been many things, but he never said he was faultless/perfect...he aspired to better himself over the years, which is an example I can definitely get behind.

Here's to Aryton. :thumbsup:

Obviously one of the best / most talented of all time, all who watched will know.
Very low class to speak badly of the deceased, disappointing to see.
Cheers, have a good holidays.

"If you go for every gap", you might meet your fate one day.

Nevertheless the darkest weekend in history of F1.

Last edited:
Roland is sadder as he is younger. He had so much more to potentially achieve in F1.

I don't think Senna would of carried on in F1 much further. He would be doing other racing like endurance. He is the most popular diver of my eara. Bigger than Michael Schumacher

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back