Semi Transparent Sunshade and More Passionate Race Engineer

ACC has been out for a while. There has been a lot of discussion. However, there are two things about this game that annoy me but I did not find anyone mentioning. So I would like to bring them up and see if anyone feels the same or better, has a solution.

The first is about the sunshade. The sunshade in game is pure black. Take a look at the real onboard footage this year. R8 LMS GT3 at Brands Hatch, we can clearly see the word "Blancpain" on the sunshade because of light passing through it:
Then in the game we have this:
racedep6.jpg

EMMMM, I feel that part of my screen's pixels are dead. Meanwhile in the old assetto corsa, we have this beautiful Manthey Skin (which can be found in this forum):
racedep 7.jpg

That sunshade is miles better than the one we have in ACC....... Actually, I started a entire new career because in ACC the 911 GT3 R's sun shade is HUGE. And it finally came down to choose a car with smaller sunshade. I mean really Kunos, even putting a flippped "Blancpain" on that black bar is better than what we currently have.

(Someone might argue, well your FOV might be incorrect and you need to set it up properly. I indeed checked lots of posts about finding the right FOV and I finally used a much simpler way: turn the in game steering wheel ON; adjust the camera such that my real steering wheel is at approximately the same position and has approximately the same size; turn in game steering wheel OFF. I found out that I am pretty happy with the FOV I ended up with.)

So the first question, anything we can do to improve that awful sunshade or remove it?

The second thing is the in-game race engineer. Oh damn I hate that guy. He sounds like he just doesn't care. I thought if kunos could not find any professional voice actor and just let their employee record the in-game voice. If someone tells me that was actually done by a pro, I would like to end this man's whole caarrrer.

"Well done mate, personal best." Well from what I heard. My race engineer just wants to finish today's work and go home. Even when he said "go go go", he sounded drowsy.

If that happened in real life, Fernado would do this:

Fun fact: the in-team radio of the original Counter-Strike around the beginning of this century was recorded by a Valve Employee, and it has a "go go go!" message as well. His "gogogo" many years ago still sounds much better than the "gogogo" in ACC.

PC2 did an incredible job at this particular aspect. "P4, P4, keep pushing!" I feel that he was as pumped as I was. "7 minutes to go!" I feel that while I was driving, he was staring at the clock. Lots of people criticize the physics of PC2, not few are denying the fact that it was a really fun and immersive game.

The second question, will we have a more passionate in-game race engineer in the future?

Sim racing can be a very lonely thing. Not that I don't like it nor I am neglecting the fact that we have a large community like RD, but every time I watch something like this
my favorite part is the part before Tommy entered his car. All his team were around him and they were fighting together. That must feel so good. I might never be able to race in a professional racing team and have a group of team members racing with me, but at least the game companies can do something about this and let my imagination finish the rest....

ACC has been out for a while. There has been a lot of discussion. However, there are two things about this game that annoy me but I did not find anyone mentioning. So I would like to bring them up and see if anyone feels the same or better, has a solution.

The first is about the sunshade. The sunshade in game is pure black. Take a look at the real onboard footage this year. R8 LMS GT3 at Brands Hatch, we can clearly see the word "Blancpain" on the sunshade because of light passing through it:
Then in the game we have this:
View attachment 310512
EMMMM, I feel that part of my screen's pixels are dead. Meanwhile in the old assetto corsa, we have this beautiful Manthey Skin (which can be found in this forum):
View attachment 310513
That sunshade is miles better than the one we have in ACC....... Actually, I started a entire new career because in ACC the 911 GT3 R's sun shade is HUGE. And it finally came down to choose a car with smaller sunshade. I mean really Kunos, even putting a flippped "Blancpain" on that black bar is better than what we currently have.

(Someone might argue, well your FOV might be incorrect and you need to set it up properly. I indeed checked lots of posts about finding the right FOV and I finally used a much simpler way: turn the in game steering wheel ON; adjust the camera such that my real steering wheel is at approximately the same position and has approximately the same size; turn in game steering wheel OFF. I found out that I am pretty happy with the FOV I ended up with.)

So the first question, anything we can do to improve that awful sunshade or remove it?

The second thing is the in-game race engineer. Oh damn I hate that guy. He sounds like he just doesn't care. I thought if kunos could not find any professional voice actor and just let their employee record the in-game voice. If someone tells me that was actually done by a pro, I would like to end this man's whole caarrrer.

"Well done mate, personal best." Well from what I heard. My race engineer just wants to finish today's work and go home. Even when he said "go go go", he sounded drowsy.

If that happened in real life, Fernado would do this:

Fun fact: the in-team radio of the original Counter-Strike around the beginning of this century was recorded by a Valve Employee, and it has a "go go go!" message as well. His "gogogo" many years ago still sounds much better than the "gogogo" in ACC.

PC2 did an incredible job at this particular aspect. "P4, P4, keep pushing!" I feel that he was as pumped as I was. "7 minutes to go!" I feel that while I was driving, he was staring at the clock. Lots of people criticize the physics of PC2, not few are denying the fact that it was a really fun and immersive game.

The second question, will we have a more passionate in-game race engineer in the future?

Sim racing can be a very lonely thing. Not that I don't like it nor I am neglecting the fact that we have a large community like RD, but every time I watch something like this
my favorite part is the part before Tommy entered his car. All his team were around him and they were fighting together. That must feel so good. I might never be able to race in a professional racing team and have a group of team members racing with me, but at least the game companies can do something about this and let my imagination finish the rest....
I am with you with this i miss the pitcrew and for gods sake give us some variations of skins in carrer mode

Agree on the Sunshade. In most of the cars it feels as if you were looking out from a medieval knight's helmet visor. While technically it makes no difference to the driving, it does indeed feel like all that screen estate is "dead" whereas in AC it adds a visual stimulation.

I agree with you on the windshield banner, I do not agree with you on the crew chief.

Yeah it's fun to be called an ass after missing the Apex and trimming the bushes, but I like the spotter here.

He's quite serious and to the point and I like that.
I want information, a calm voice giving only pertinent information then radio silence.
Perhaps it's my military background, or lack of personality but it's clean, clear, job done.

The functionality of the ACC spotter is nowhere near what crew chief is capable of. And honestly I would've liked a more elaborate engineer functionality actually helping me with pit-stops and strategy. This would be a worthwhile new addition to sims in my book.
As is the ACC spotter doesn't help much other than "green green green" and "low tyre pressure, stay away from curbs". ;-)

Not sure I really care about the timbre / tone of the voice, but can somewhat relate to the OPs concerns.

"Are the Blancpain upper screen stickers semi-transparent in real life or solid?" would be my first question. Maybe a fair representation of reality, haven't checked tbh.

I don't care for realism for banners .... maybe that's fine IRL but opaque ones in game reduces a lot the view for a single screen except driving on the top of the hood.... one of the reasons why I cannot drive ACC a lot, maybe now a bit more since I bought a new 21/9 34" curved monitor. A bit better with dashcam view ... but not very perfect yet.

Or you drive nearly on the back seat to see the apex in the side windows ..... or you cannot see much of it as TrackIR is not supported..... except driving with the seat on the windshield nearly.
VR is not an option for everyone.

The spotter ?? .... as it is for the moment, rather make him dumb ....

Maybe I'll drive ACC more within a few months when a real V1.0 will be reached, but for now it's still a not confessed Early Access.

Sorry to be harsh but the facts are speaking from themselves in most points of view.

Ok, it's promising, some points are fine ... but there are too many min points which need improvement, to be corrected and/or completed.

Included stupid things like: Sprint weekends : no fuel refueling and no driver swap but .... a very visible line in orange color saying you have to refuel and swap driver.... one example surely among many many other details.

Should I not have bought the Early Access but full V1.0 at full price... I'd ask for refund.
Not OK at all with those new systems.... a buggy or not completed game cannot have a V1.0 version name.
"Customer is king" ? not any longer nowadays ... we all need to react and refuse these new proceedings.
"Money is king" that's all and we're all are the paying beta testers in game and trade and worse for the rest... and respect for the other ones doesn't exist any longer. That's our actual world ( but not for a very long time as those methods will kill the earth ).

I agree with you on the windshield banner, I do not agree with you on the crew chief.

Yeah it's fun to be called an ass after missing the Apex and trimming the bushes, but I like the spotter here.

I want information, a calm voice giving only pertinent information then radio silence.
Perhaps it's my military background, or lack of personality but it's clean, clear, job done.

I don't recall ACC have a spotter like Indycar. If you mean the guy who tells you "stay away from the curb", that is the race engineer because a spotter cannot see your tire pressure. Ofc I agree that a spotter during a race should be emotionless, and that is why PC2 has a different voice actor for the spotter. (Again, few beats PC2 in terms of fun.) I am pretty sure that in the future if we have a spotter like iracing, it would be the same guy who did the voiceover for race engineer. And we will have a companion speaking with one tone all the time.

I don't care for realism for banners .... maybe that's fine IRL but opaque ones in game reduces a lot the view for a single screen except driving on the top of the hood.... one of the reasons why I cannot drive ACC a lot, maybe now a bit more since I bought a new 21/9 34" curved monitor. A bit better with dashcam view ... but not very perfect yet.

Or you drive nearly on the back seat to see the apex in the side windows ..... or you cannot see much of it as TrackIR is not supported..... except driving with the seat on the windshield nearly.
VR is not an option for everyone.

The spotter ?? .... as it is for the moment, rather make him dumb ....

Maybe I'll drive ACC more within a few months when a real V1.0 will be reached, but for now it's still a not confessed Early Access.

Sorry to be harsh but the facts are speaking from themselves in most points of view.

Ok, it's promising, some points are fine ... but there are too many min points which need improvement, to be corrected and/or completed.

Included stupid things like: Sprint weekends : no fuel refueling and no driver swap but .... a very visible line in orange color saying you have to refuel and swap driver.... one example surely among many many other details.

Should I not have bought the Early Access but full V1.0 at full price... I'd ask for refund.
Not OK at all with those new systems.... a buggy or not completed game cannot have a V1.0 version name.
"Customer is king" ? not any longer nowadays ... we all need to react and refuse these new proceedings.
"Money is king" that's all and we're all are the paying beta testers in game and trade and worse for the rest... and respect for the other ones doesn't exist any longer. That's our actual world ( but not for a very long time as those methods will kill the earth ).
Not sure if I understand you correctly. You said opaque banners will prevent you from getting enough view. However, the only thing I would like it to happen is the replace the current solid banner with opaque one without changing anything else. That should not reduce any view though...

I'm with you guys on too black/not transparent enough things in acc.
For me, the black raindrops are also an issue. You can find real life pictures of pretty dark raindrops but for me, in acc the rain contains black liquid :speechless:
The raindrops hitting the grass for example. Looks like bullets would smash up the dirt :roflmao:
It's high level criticism though. I'm pretty happy with the graphics overall.

Opaque means " not transparent" ... solid or opaque seems to be the same meaning.
So, to be more precise ... this banner should need to be ... let's say: semi-transparent ... even though I'm nearly sure that IRL they are opaque.
But real view and view on a screen is something rather different finally.

yeah the Crew chief really is a drag in ACC, chap is only concerned about the darn tire pressure, whereas he might point out the pit window or how many minutes I have left in the latter, or myself reducing the gap to the player in front or he might give some advice on when to pit with regards to other players etc. etc. As it is, it's tires and tires and tired tires again, and each time I've "done well" at the end of the race, even if I lost 15 positions and took out half the field along the way ...

Opaque means " not transparent" ... solid or opaque seems to be the same meaning.
So, to be more precise ... this banner should need to be ... let's say: semi-transparent ... even though I'm nearly sure that IRL they are opaque.
But real view and view on a screen is something rather different finally.

Ahhh now I see. I always understand opaque as "cloudy" or "hazy". My bad.:(

Yeah I searched some pics irl and they look indeed solid from outside but from inside when the sun is shining, the driver can still see the flipped "Blancpain" word on it. I hope Kunos can give us this, shouldn't be hard... I just need something to tell my subconsciousness that part of my screen is not dead.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 285 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 192 10.3%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 192 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 140 7.5%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 250 13.4%