Seeking Triple Monitor Advice

Hello all, I’m wondering if I might be able to get some confirmation or perhaps advice. I’m ready to make the jump to triple monitors and have been doing a lot of research. I have a 1080ti and would prefer not to turn down any eye candy, but am willing to turn down some settings if need be. I won’t be going SLI.

From what I understand, a single 1080ti will struggle with triple 1440p monitors, so I’m guessing this will bring me down to 1080p. If going 1080p, then I’m guessing 24” monitors are preferable over, say, 27” because of a possible “screen-door effect” when placing the monitors up close.

Is the above correct?

If going 1080p, I was thinking about maybe getting them at 144hz, but I understand even that scenario may make the 1080ti struggle.

I don’t mind going with 1080p with 24” at 60hz. I just don’t want to “settle” on that either if my card can handle more. Thoughts?

Also, I’m not interested in VR.

I used to display the "G-Sync On" notification when gaming, but notification has disappeared in recent months.

How do I reactivate that G-Sync On notification display? There used to be an menu setting in Nvidia Control Panel but I either can't see it or remember what that setting was.

Thanks

G-Sync-On-Indicator.jpg
Got parched out of the normal driver panel. You need to download the nvidia inspector. There you'll find it :)

Upvote 0
Mmm, so here's a new wrinkle: As noted earlier in the thread, I ordered one of the ASUS monitors in Nvidia's "list of 12" (x3 for the triple monitor setup). However, it appears Nvidia is saying "Only single displays are currently supported; multiple monitors can be connected but no more than one display should have G-SYNC enabled".
https://wccftech.com/nvidia-geforce-game-ready-417-71-whql-drivers/

Does this mean that if I only have my center monitor enabled with g-sync, the other two are going to stutter when under the Hz limit since g-sync won't be enabled on those? Kinda sounds that way.

I mean, I'm going to try it anyway to see what happens. But if that's the case, then I wonder if I'm going to have to set monitors' refresh rate to a value I know I'll exceed and simply go with vsync.

Upvote 0
Mmm, so here's a new wrinkle: As noted earlier in the thread, I ordered one of the ASUS monitors in Nvidia's "list of 12" (x3 for the triple monitor setup). However, it appears Nvidia is saying "Only single displays are currently supported; multiple monitors can be connected but no more than one display should have G-SYNC enabled".
https://wccftech.com/nvidia-geforce-game-ready-417-71-whql-drivers/

Does this mean that if I only have my center monitor enabled with g-sync, the other two are going to stutter when under the Hz limit since g-sync won't be enabled on those? Kinda sounds that way.

I mean, I'm going to try it anyway to see what happens. But if that's the case, then I wonder if I'm going to have to set monitors' refresh rate to a value I know I'll exceed and simply go with vsync.
Sounds like a good plan! I'm not sure that the stutter/tearing will be that visible and annoying. It's more like peripheral vision and you'll be looking mainly at the center monitor.
However like you said, you can simply go with vsync on them! I'm still at only 60 fps in basically all games since either my cpu or the gpu are limiting either way.
Good thing will be that you won't have microstutter on the center monitor!
For me the crucial thing about gsync was to get rid of this problem. In every game I got some stuttering due to whatever. A slight dip, making one frame being displayed twice due to vsync. "adaptive", "fast" etc all made it worse overall. Gsync makes it perfect! :)

So I'd say it's a perfect plan. Vsync on the side screens and gsync against any stuttering on the center one.
Only issue I see is that your monitors might be locked to some hz steps. Mine is 50/60/85/100/120. I'd love to have the screen run hat 75 Hz for some special situations. Not possible... So have a look at this and don't be too surprised. Even with custom resolutions it will just go black and "fail the test" when forcing anything apart from these steps.

Whoops, bit of a long post but maybe interesting anyway :p

Upvote 0
In Nvidia Control Panel I set my 3 x G-Sync monitors to be effectively a single virtual monitor. I wonder if by doing this on multiple Freesync monitors, it is effectively considered a single monitor and thus VRR works?
Do you lose the corrected perspective thingy that assetto corsa etc have with this?
In other words: is it stretched when you angle the side monitors?

Upvote 0
So left to try is:
vsync on,gsync on, fps limit 101, monitor 120Hz - i try this later today

Have tested this for a while now and it seems to work fine now, great stuff! :thumbsup:
But what this actually means to input lag is a bit vague, as the low gpu stutter do happen when the fps is limited at the specified max, my scenario 101 fps :O_o:

I might have tested this before but again, for 6-8 month ago there was much more problems with rF2 gfx engine, works much better now, possible to have smooth game play even with larger fields. Also there was testing other setting like power management, SLI compatibility bits pre-render frame setting and so on...

Regarding nsync single monitor only, using nvidia surround it should be consider a single display as mention (if all monitors the same) and running gsync works fine, have never noticed any tearing on the side monitors when it works on the center monitor.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I used the Nvidia surround mode for all the titles even the ones that properly supported triples. It works fine. You just select the new resolution in the game settings and off you go. Make sure you've correctly bezel corrected your screen in the Nvidia control panel and everything should be fine.

Upvote 0
I used the Nvidia surround mode for all the titles even the ones that properly supported triples.

All major titles (rF2, AC, AMS, iRacing, ETS, ATS R3E and more) have true triple support, single viewport on each screen without stretching. It's only for AMS you need bezel correction from nvidia, other do it in-game. But even with bezel correction you have both resolutions available in-game, so that works fine.

Can you even render on 3 monitors in rF2/AC for example without using any surround, if no surround I can only select one single screen? I tried some time ago with AC without surround but did not manage to get that to work.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
All I know is that every time that I raced with the triples I selected the triples resolution when changing screens. 5880 x 1080 was my bezel corrected resolution and I used that for everything. It looked perfect and like you said the titles that supported true surround with no stretching displayed as such. I didn't even know there were dedicated monitor adjustments for triples in AC for like a year after I started. I think either way works fine.

Upvote 0
Just a little lift to this old thread, I'm back with my first setting where I let the monitor Hz set the fps (with g-sync on). It almost worked with above settings, but on certain car/track combo's I still got these high fps micro stutters even with the fps being super solid. But it for sure worked much better than my previous experiences, not just good enough.

I have also put water cooling on my GPU:s and CPU (had a CPU AOI before) so there no risk of thermal throttling issues (https://www.racedepartment.com/thre...ning-1080-ti-sli-and-cpu-water-cooled.164204/)

Could be my combination, but it seems to rock my boat the best :)

Upvote 0

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 391 16.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 262 11.0%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 252 10.5%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 184 7.7%
  • < 5 years