Sector3 testing new graphics engine...

Just stumbled upon this in the sector 3 forum:
tibMb0d.jpg

As the sector3 CEO Chris Speed states, they "have a very small team investigating and evaluating newer technologies for the future" and this seems to be from some actual tests with the Unreal Engine. Very promising I think.

I guess we dont see this in 2016 atleast...
Don't even hope.
Not only do they have to re-program the entire engine to Unreal, they haven't even procured the rights to it yet (least far as I know).
It's one thing to do some in-house development, quite another to gain the distribution rights.
Not to mention that even if S3 thinks it's a good idea, they're not calling the shots.
The company (and all its IP) is owned by KW.
So while I'm just as excited about a possible change from the rather dated engine they're using now, we're talking way, WAY, down the road.

I'm pretty sure Sector3 wouldn't be undergoing these evaluations without authorisation from the parent company. A very small team of 10-15 people cannot afford to divert resources away from the main project unless it's something they are deadly serious about.

A switch to UE may also help them recruit new programmers, something which they have found difficult to do.

I get the impression UE will happen but how far off...who knows? I don't think it will be a 'R3E 2' though. R3E will be one of those long term projects like iRacing i.e. they continue to upgrade the game while selling new content.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 313 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 213 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 209 10.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 157 7.8%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 271 13.4%