Sebastian Vettel

Sebastian Vettel officially announced as Ferrari F1 driver for 2015.

Not sure how to feel about this, really. I'm not as fond of Ferrari like I used to be when Schumacher was there, but I like Vettel.

I guess it had a lot to do with Alonso being there, though.

Maybe if they start getting their act together, I might change my mind again.

Not sure how to feel about this, really. I'm not as fond of Ferrari like I used to be when Schumacher was there, but I like Vettel.

I guess it had a lot to do with Alonso being there, though.

Maybe if they start getting their act together, I might change my mind again.
I agree with you, Dewald - I was not a fan of Ferrari in these past years, despite being an All-Red in the glorious Schumacher days. That had nothing to do with a lack of success though - I was never a fan of Fernando Alonso.

Now with Alonso leaving, Seb joining and Kimi going into his last F1 year (or at least I assume it will be) I'm curious about what Ferrari are going to achieve.

The move to Ferrari could make or brake Vettel. If he does the same trick as Schumacher did and that is turning the team in a race winning team then he truly is one of the greatest F1 drivers around. If he fails to do so then I'm with Chris Jenkins, he never win a world championship again. I'm not so sure Vettel has the mental strength to fight against the politics in the Ferrari team.

The move to Ferrari could make or brake Vettel. If he does the same trick as Schumacher did and that is turning the team in a race winning team then he truly is one of the greatest F1 drivers around. If he fails to do so then I'm with Chris Jenkins, he never win a world championship again. I'm not so sure Vettel has the mental strength to fight against the politics in the Ferrari team.
bender.gif

everyone I think should watch this amazing video made by Ayrton01CZ, its an amazing Tribute to Vettel as he ends his Red Bull career, I wasn't ever a huge supported of Vettel but this video makes me look back and think he did a hell of a lot with those cars
On Ayrtons channel you should also look at the Webber and Schumacher tribute videos, they really are works of art

Am I alone when I feel like Vettel was only really quick because of the blown diffusers?

Because, now they are banned, he is really trying to find himself as a driver.

Alonso said that if Vettel can bring a struggling Ferrari to the podium, or even a win, he is a great driver.

But, if he can only mange fourth, sixth, and seventh on a regular basis, those four titles won't mean anything.

Seb has a good work ethic and he will do everything to learn about himself as a driver.

I predict that Vettel will finish his F1 career with no more championships.
He is young and after enough regulation changes ferrari will end up making a good car... eventually.

However, after reading this piece: http://news.yahoo.com/motor-racing-vettel-considered-quitting-says-horner-112529590--f1.html

If he was considering to quit after one, (one!) bad car season, then maybe he does not have what it takes to endure long enough. I mean, I have seen Alonso or Hamilton sucking up their dog-car seasons and fighting relentlessly, it just took half a season with a car that was not even that bad to demotivate Vettel...

After Jerez Vettel looks happy with the car he's been given. Could be a strong season ahead for him.
If you add to that the unbelievable luck that the guy has, then who knows. I can't believe his luck.
He got lucky in brazil in 2012, a normal human's car would have been totalled, instead he
got the championship. in 2013 in Canada he through the right side of his car on the wall
at turn 9, he finished without a scratch. This year, he got lucky in Canada and in Hungary.

Am I alone when I feel like Vettel was only really quick because of the blown diffusers?

Eh his most dominant season was 2013 and those blown diffusors where already banned in 2012. So 2 out of 4 championships he won was without blown diffusors. I'm still biased to the opinion that Vettel won a lot due to the mix of talent and a really good car. What he will do at Ferrari will decide if he really is that great as he seems to be. If he wins a WC with Ferrari then you can put him amongst the greatest F1 drivers ever. Until then he will always will be accused that the won championships are won by Adrian Newey.

11200603_668104609986398_1914659355863229043_n.jpg

Mark Webber believes that Michael Schumacher's accident was one reason for Sebastian Vettel's difficult 2014 season.

Webber:

We'll only find out further down the line, he'll probably open up a little bit about that year and what was going on.

From the outside looking at it I think Michael [Schumacher's] accident really knocked him round, that really hit him, as he's very close with Michael.

And he had a child, and all of a sudden maybe lap times were not number one for the first few months of the year, and then it started to snowball.

Pic: Michael Schumacher congratulating Sebastian Vettel after Vettel won his third consecutive World Championship at the 2012 Brazilian GP

Former Ferrari president Luca di Montezemolo talks about Sebastian Vettel's arrival at Ferrari, and takes a swipe at Fernando Alonso in the process.

di Montezemolo:

The first person at Ferrari who talked about Vettel was [Michael] Schumacher.

It was the summer [of 2009] when he would have returned to stand in for [Felipe] Massa. He told me: The perfect driver for you is Seb.

Domenicali wanted him at all costs and brought him to my home in Bologna. He arrived with a box of Swiss chocolate. He was already a world champion, yet his manners were somehow clumsy. Everyone was finely impressed.

Mattiacci carried on that work. Finally, when with Marchionne we saw Alonso had become gloomy and surly and was always showing scepticism with the team, we decided for the change.

Vettel certainly gets [paid] less than what Alonso asked for his renewal of his contract.

And then he has strongly helped Arrivabene, who is a man with great personality, to impose a new, better, and more positive mood.

Maurizio Arrivabene: "Sebastian Vettel is not only a world champion in the car, but also a champion of the heart."

Arrivabene also praised Vettel for his German characteristics:

"His commitment to the job. The accuracy, with which he goes into issues to the smallest detail, to detect a possible error.

"Sebastian never gives up until he has found a solution. It may be midnight, but he is still working meticulously.

"I'd rather eat pasta and think about everything. Sebastian as a typical German, eats nothing until he has finished his work."

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 293 15.2%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 204 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 199 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 147 7.6%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 262 13.6%