Seb Morris steps up to GP3 with Status

Seb Morris is the latest young British driver to make the step up to GP3 this year, today announcing a deal with the successful Status Grand Prix team for this season, partnering Alex Fontana.

Morris has an impressive junior racing career so far, initially winning the Ginetta Junior Championship in 2011, before coming third in the 2012 Formula Renault BARC Series. In the first year of the BRDC F4 championship in 2013 Morris finished second in the standings, before moving up to the Formula Renault NEC series last year, finishing in 3rd. Morris has also twice been a nominee for the prestigious McLaren/Autosport BRDC award, although he has never won it.

Morris debuted for Status in the post-season GP3 test in Abu Dhabi last November, driving three days of the test and setting the second fastest time on day two. This is a move that has been on the cards during the winter off-season, with both sides pleased to announce it today.

Morris commented on the deal by stating "I always wanted to be in GP3 this year with Status, the team wanted me as well so it’s fantastic we’ve put the deal together,I definitely feel ready for GP3 and I believe I can compete with the best, I wouldn’t be out there if I didn’t feel that. Status was always the obvious choice, everyone bonded quickly when I tested last November and the atmosphere instantly clicked."

Status GP team boss Teddy Yip Jr also gave his thoughts on today's announcement "In our fifth GP3 season our aim is to win more races and improve on last year’s third place in the team championship,We believe that Seb will help us achieve this goal with his raw speed that was immediately evident when he stepped into a GP3 car for the first time last year."

The GP3 grid is rapidly filling as the countdown to the first race begins, with the driving talent already confirmed indicating this will be another vintage year for GP3 driving talent, with plenty of very fast young drivers still being linked with drives in the series. This season is sure to be another exciting one for the GP3 series.

What are your thoughts on this announcement? Please feel free to comment below.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 369 16.0%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 255 11.0%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 246 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 181 7.8%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 303 13.1%