Seats for Fatso's

Hi ya'll,

I'm planning an aluminium profile rig and trying to figure out what seat to get. As it happens, I'm built like a powerlifter with a love for burgers and beer. Some would say I'm just fat, I say I'm big boned. Whatever. I'm around 5'9" and 260lbs.

I know common wisdom is to just get a regular car seat from the junkyard. Where I live, however, junkyards are expensive. You can get a used seat that looks as if someone died in it for a hundred bucks. Only thing I've found that could be reasonably priced and possibly a nice seat are MX-5 seats. I've seen them as low as 250 Euros in good conditions (but most often they cost more than double that).

I would like to stay below 350 Euros, if possible.

Bucket seats seem like a bad idea. I could probably squeeze into a larger one but how comfortable is that after two hours? But hey, feel free to recommend me one if you know of something you think will fit.

For reference, today I use a Noblechairs Icon with a wheelstand. I sit comfortably in it but I do fill it out. You can see the measurments here:

Oh, and one last thing. It has to be available within the EU.

Thanks for your time and I appreciate any tips you can give me.

Hy Alexi,

here an idea for an interim solution:

how about deleting the "foot part" of the noble chair and using the bolt holes to fix the seat part to your rig?

This could serve you with a fitting seat until you discover loadcell brakes and need something sturdier.

By than you may have found something in your pricerange or may be you´re willing to spend more for a capable and comfortable seat.
The new seats in your pricerange are most certainly not capable of withstanding loadcell brakeforces for long, there is a high probability they lack the necessary lumbar support for being comfortable for longer sessions.

MFG Carsten

Upvote 0
Hey Carsten,

That's unfortunately not an option. My chair doubles as an office chair and it's really not sturdy enough. I have the HE Sprints so the chair does get a bit tortured.

My best lead so far is a gentleman who sells seats from a 993 Porsche in good condition. I don't know yet if he's willing to ship them or if the seats have any electronics, but we'll see...

I also remember seeing some company in the Netherlands making sport seats that looked pretty good, but I can't seem to find them again. As far as bucket seats would go I think NRG has a large model that could work, but haven't found it in EU.

Upvote 0
Gt omega r9 seat I believe is for the bigger boned fellow but I can’t comment on the quality or comfort etc. Sparco r100 is a common non bucket choice, no idea on sizing.

This guy seems to have an opinion on it lol
Yeah, I've looked at GT Omega but I have doubts about the quality and comfort. The dimensions would work though I can't complain about the price.
Sparco R100 and R333 are rather narrow unfortunately.

Corbeau seems pretty much unavailable in the EU. So far I've found one place that sells the FX1, for a 1000 Eur. Otherwise, if it works for the guy in the video it would be spacious for me - standard one would probably work too. But yeah, can't find them for a reasonable price unfortunately.

Upvote 0
Sim Lab might be the guys you are thinking of. Just got my hands on this seat a few weeks ago, and have been pretty happy with it. I'm 6'2" and my torso it a bit long for what the seat was designed for, but it's a nice seat which gives you the option to go between formula and GT seating positions. If you aren't comfortable with paying that much, there's another option available from the same company that I've also heard does well for larger people.

Upvote 0
Sim Lab might be the guys you are thinking of. Just got my hands on this seat a few weeks ago, and have been pretty happy with it. I'm 6'2" and my torso it a bit long for what the seat was designed for, but it's a nice seat which gives you the option to go between formula and GT seating positions. If you aren't comfortable with paying that much, there's another option available from the same company that I've also heard does well for larger people.
It wasn't Sim Lab but some company making real car "tuning" seats. Sim Lab's offerings are interesting though. The SF1 is a bit too expensive for my taste but the Speed seats could work. I've emailed Sim Lab to get some measurments on the XL version (L and XL show the same measurments on their page). Though it's out of stock unfortunately. It's possible that the Speed 2 and 3 could work as well.

I think what it might come down to is how much manspreading the seats allow. It's probably fine to squeeze into them if the fit isn't too snug, but if I have to keep the legs too close together... well, you get where I'm going with this.

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

Check dimensions on Corbeau FX1 Wide if it fits you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
Take a look at the seats from NRG. Reasonably priced and comfortable for sim racing.
Haven't found them in the EU for a reasonable price. Their bigger seats could work otherwise.

Check dimensions on Corbeau FX1 Wide if it fits you.
That should definitely work but I've only found them in the EU for extortionate prices (like more than double the listed price).

Upvote 0
My best lead so far is a gentleman who sells seats from a 993 Porsche in good condition. I don't know yet if he's willing to ship them or if the seats have any electronics, but we'll see...
Electronic adjustment is not a problem, just add 12v power brick.
I´m using my (street car) Recaro Sportster CS with one 60watts (12v 5 ampere) is enough for heating/ventilation and backrest adjustment, height only goes down, for up 10 amps would be better.

On a simrig you´re not constricted to driver seats, passenger seats are often better available because not occupied/damaged in a crash and mostly less used/worn.

Good luck Carsten.

Upvote 0
Electronic adjustment is not a problem, just add 12v power brick.
I´m using my (street car) Recaro Sportster CS with one 60watts (12v 5 ampere) is enough for heating/ventilation and backrest adjustment, height only goes down, for up 10 amps would be better.

On a simrig you´re not constricted to driver seats, passenger seats are often better available because not occupied/damaged in a crash and mostly less used/worn.

Good luck Carsten.
The wiring is pretty simple, right? Like, you only need a couple of wires for power? What worries me more are the motors under the seat. I don't know if that would interfere with adding transducers later on.
Porsche guy hasn't gotten back to me yet though, so I guess he's already sold the seats.
I am pretty with the Omega R9 honestly. It is pretty comfy.
How rigid is it? Looking at Karl Gosling's review it seems to move a lot under his weight.
Did you try on Amazon? Thats where i got mine from.
Aye, I've searched Amazon without luck.

I've found one seat that might work. LTec Pro Plus. It's also very fairly priced and I could potentially save on the shipping cost when ordering the rig.
Does anyone have experience with these seats?

Upvote 0
Does anyone have experience with these seats?
Finally back home from holiday - loads of plans in my head for my new office / man cave

Just pushed the button on the following Sim-labs kit
  • P1 sim racing cockpit - Front mount 15 mm
  • FIA LTEC PRO – Bucket seat - Pro, Black
  • Seat slider
  • Integrated single monitor mount VESA 75/100 mm, Gray
Excited to be making a start on a proper set-up :)

Upvote 0
The wiring is pretty simple, right? Like, you only need a couple of wires for power? What worries me more are the motors under the seat. I don't know if that would interfere with adding transducers later on.
Porsche guy hasn't gotten back to me yet though, so I guess he's already sold the seats.
Yes the wiring would have been pretty simple, just two wires.
If the seat adjusters "go the wrong way" just exchange the wires.

About the Sparco good luck with the "fitment".
As the "big guys" ( like you and me :rolleyes:) usually have to take care of their back I hope the very entry level Sparco has good enough lumbar support. If you find it lacking Sparco offers a lumbar support pad to velcro in.

About tactile, this is going to be a challenge.
The sprint is a pipe frame seat with no opportunity to bolt a transducer directly to the seat.
You can fabricate solutions to bolt the transducers to the seat mount but it will be more difficult and offer the tactile feedback more "avenues to escape" so isolation will be more important.

MFG Carsten

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yes the wiring would have been pretty simple, just two wires.
If the seat adjusters "go the wrong way" just exchange the wires.

About the Sparco good luck with the "fitment".
As the "big guys" ( like you and me :rolleyes:) usually have to take care of their back I hope the very entry level Sparco has good enough lumbar support. If you find it lacking Sparco offers a lumbar support pad to velcro in.

About tactile, this is going to be a challenge.
The sprint is a pipe frame seat with no opportunity to bolt a transducer directly to the seat.
You can fabricate solutions to bolt the transducers to the seat mount but it will be more difficult and offer the tactile feedback more "avenues to escape" so isolation will be more important.

MFG Carsten
I actually had to cancel the order... the seat was out of stock and the store wanted to charge me 150 euro more for shipping. So, back to hunting for seats again (it's honestly turning out to be a real bitch finding suitable seats you can actually buy at a reasonable price).

I've always assumed tubular frames have some sort of plates in them. Are you saying that's an erroneous assumption? In that case I'll have to reconsider (also strike the OMP TRS-E XL from the list).

For lumbar support I'm thinking of making something out of memory foam and have it velcroed to the seat.

Sim Lab is getting their Speed seats back into stock now, and their Speed 1 could be an alternative. Haven't yet gotten any measurments for the XL version though. I'm also unsure about the ears - might get a bit annoying with a VR headset on, especially for other things than racing games.. The back also seems very high (the measurments look fine but from the videos I've seen it looks to be made for very tall people).

Upvote 0
I have the Sparco Evo XL which is quite roomy for my build (6-3/180lbs). Needed to add some bolsters to tighten the fit up.
That's a good looking seat but way above my price range unfortunately.

I'm considering a Beltenick RST-700 or RST-800. I've managed to find them for a fair price. They look pretty good and comfy. Biggest drawback I've found so far is that the logo is so ugly it hurts my eyes, but that's a compromise I'm willing to deal with.

Upvote 0

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 96 7.8%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 130 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 175 14.2%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 349 28.3%
  • 100% offline racing