Seat Mounting Problem Solving

I have a RaceTech 1000 fiberglass seat with side mounts that I am attaching to the side mounting brackets from Sim-Labs and a P1-X. I had to drill out some holes in the brackets since the seat side mount nuts are a little longer then the brackets from Sim-Labs. No big deal there, already done and happy with the location. Problem is, one of the front nuts in the Racetech seats threads won't accept the M6 bolt. This is the female nut or whatever that is inset in the side of the fiberglass seat. I have a set of taps, but I guess I don't have the right thread depth as the set I have won't go over the bolts I am using for the other corners of the seats. This leads me to thinking I am going to need to tap it out to a larger size and use a larger bolt.

What do you guys think? How should I fix this? Maybe I just need to order the right size tap, but I'm worried that it is just gummed up in there and if I tap it again the same size, it will never really hold. I don't normally need to retap things. What is the best way to go. I don't want to mess this up since it is in an nut inset in fiberglass.

Got three bolts in there now and have driven in it some but would like to get this in right and make sure I don't brake the other three mounts.

Lot depend on the outer diameter of the thread insert in the seat.
My first try would be to clean out the thread with a tap.

If that doesn’t work then use a Helicoil but that is more kit to buy.

Finally drill it out all the way through the seat. Counter sink the inside and but a bolt all the way through.

Upvote 0
Turns out I'm and idiot and was using a bolt with gummed up threads to try and see what thread depth was used. That was never going to work and I should have looked at the bolt closer first. It is a standard M8 1.25 size which I do have. I retapped it today and got everything bolted together. I sure make things hard on myself sometimes.

Upvote 0

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 72 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 101 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 141 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 266 27.4%
  • 100% offline racing