SEASON 9 RACE 5 SUZUKA INCIDENT REPORT

Incident #1: Chasing Vincenzo into the final hairpin on lap 3, I turned Vince around.

I mis-judged Vince's line and speed into the first part of the chicane, hesitated when I realized there was danger and then choose too late to turn left to avoid.

Incident # 2: Following Sean, who was chasing Vincenzo, Vince backed off the throttle on entry to 130 R to allow Sean to pass on the inside safely. I was surprised by the closing speed and again mis-judged the situation. Diving to the inside of Vince, I thought I had passed cleanly, but sadly this was not the case. Vince crashed violently into the wall.

Video is uploading of these incidents.

I am very sorry Vincenzo for my mistakes. :( My confidence in racing is shattered at the moment; perhaps I need a holiday from it but I definitely need a better Internet connection to continue I think....

Incident # 2: Following Sean, who was chasing Vincenzo, Vince backed off the throttle on entry to 130 R to allow Sean to pass on the inside safely. I was surprised by the closing speed and again mis-judged the situation. Diving to the inside of Vince, I thought I had passed cleanly, but sadly this was not the case. Vince crashed violently into the wall.
It looks like a sync-issue is the cause. A lot of air between the wheels. Was something wrong with the Internet connection out there somewhere maybe? So many got LC this time. Fortunately not many in the race(that I know of) just Henrik and Kennett?

2 small incidents :

ts 172 (with Nicolai) : Nicolai hit me from behind when entering Spoon. I braked a little early there, having cold hard tires and a well filled tank, so I think he expected I braked later and was surprised. Anyway, no damage for me but I'm afraid it disturbed his race since he went in the grass and had to let pass everyone before reentering the track.

ts 4133 (with Valter) : I felt a contact with Valter at the 130R when he passed me on the inside, when I jumped into his gearbox to be in his slipstream. He said in the chat he didn't felt it, and there was no noticeable effect for both of us.

ts 4133 (with Valter) : I felt a contact with Valter at the 130R when he passed me on the inside, when I jumped into his gearbox to be in his slipstream. He said in the chat he didn't felt it, and there was no noticeable effect for both of us.
If it was a touch it was very light. I think you suffered slightly from it but I could not notice anything. I'm to blame for easing the throttle a bit too much in apex. That must have been unpredictable.

Lap 1 TS112 – Contact with Dino
Off the start we ended up 4 wide at the front. Dino and I made small contact as he drifted left and I drifted right. Small touch, no consequences, we could perhaps have all held our lines slight straighter. Everyone did very well to make it through T1 safely after being 4 wide.

Lap 11 TS1038 – Contact with Anthony and Mark
I should start by saying that I very much regret this incident, particularly because Mark was once again effected (this time completely taken out) by an incident which was completely not his fault. It was very cruel luck that Anthony and I got away with it while Mark’s car was completely ruined.

I do want to explain how it went down from my perspective for the purpose of avoiding future incidents. (I’ll write a proper thing tonight and perhaps add a video, for the moment I’ll just say I’m very sorry to Mark and Anthony for the part I played in this one, I’ve now written the next bit but still no vid)

Mark, Anthony and I had been racing very closely since the start. I was looking for a chance to overtake Anthony.

As I came out of the second degner I thought I had a good enough run to have a look. Anthony was on the far left (racing line) so I went to the right. As we went around the right kink I felt that I would hold the right and have a go around the outside of the hairpin. At this point I thought Anthony would hold the left for the kink and thus the inside for the hairpin. I was intending to brake late.

As we rounded the kink Anthony came across to the right (still holding his standard racing line) and got hard on the brakes for the hairpin. I just on the brakes and tried to cut back to the inside but it was too late. I hit Anthony, he hit Marko. I then waited, Anthony went past but sadly Marko’s day was done.

I wanted to believe this incident was not my fault but the more I watch the replay (and I’ve watched it a lot) the more I think I should have just held back and avoided putting any of us in that situation.

I wonder though at what point someone should take into account a following car as they choose their line. I think (and I realise this is highly speculative) in Anthony’s position I would have stayed left so that each of us could brake on a separate line.

I wrongly thought that the right of the track was mine. Anthony justifiably took his normal racing line.

Sorry to Mark and Anthony

Lap 14 TS1339 – Contact with Anthony
I have apologised to Anthony for my part in this incident but in the interests of future avoidance...

As we approached 130R I got a much better run and managed to get alongside Anthony and even had the nose out in front. From here I think we both made good and safe decisions which disappointingly resulted contact.

As we got to 130R I decided that I had to hold the inside line and leave room for Anthony. In order to do that I braked and dropped to 5th. Anthony simultaneously made a wise choice to back out and not try to hold the inside, effectively giving up the position rather than risk a crash. He pulled in behind me as I dropped to gears. In the replay it appears to be a slight sync issue, but in reality he was pulling in behind me as I was braking to hold the inside.

I think both of us acted cautiously just sadly incompatibly. I would be keen to hear peoples thought on this one.

Lap 14 TS1339 – Tim - Anthony
In my replay, not very different from the server replay, because I'm "close" to the server in Norway. It looks like you are side by side when it happens. You guys suffer from a disadvantage with the varying invisible force field surrounding your cars. The field is larger when you meet a fellow from Down Under. Me and Nicolas got away with doing the identical moves in 130R, and we are both stationed closer to the server. I think European drivers have less than half of the synchro problem meeting a fellow from Australia than you guys have in your internal fights. This opinion is only based on numerous subjective observations.

No incidents to Report.

On the 130r incidents Tim and Anthony, Peter and Vincezo, i was under the impression before the race that a european vs aussies or vice versa we would not attempt pass into 130r with the sync issues brought up in forums before race ? this would have saved any incidents. In my replay Vincenzos line is much tighter than in Peters video so obvious issue there much like in the videos posted before race.

On Tim Anthony and Markos I think Tim as you said you should lift or brake earlier than car ahead, your still full speed after kink and Anthony slows just before you and you both make contact in middle of track on my replay. I think if not side by side before kink you should back out and in that turn the following car should brake just before car ahead and chances of outbraking someone there is so low i wouldnt have bothered.

To be honest i cant see this incident being anything other than your fault Tim the more i watched or only you can do something to avoid it not to sound harsh, i dont think Anthony can drive anything but racing line through kink its next to impossible to stay outside through that turn unless you slow alot and same goes for staying tight round kink you have to slow alot more than normal racing line and so in hindsight you should have probably expected him to take racing line.

Sometimes on track what you see may not be exactly where car is but we already know this by now, i think were going to have to leave that bit more space, use extra caution and just some patience or incidents will just keep happening and its always worse when your on recieving end and it ends your race.

These incidents were easily avoided in my opinion and Markos and Vincenzos Races wouldnt have been effectively ended. We have to remember to try and learn from incidents so they dont happen again and not simple to keep tryin to learn same things or we will always have race ending incidents every race which isnt good enough we can do much better :thumbsup:.

On the 130r incidents Tim and Anthony, Peter and Vincezo, i was under the impression before the race that a european vs aussies or vice versa we would not attempt pass into 130r with the sync issues brought up in forums before race ? this would have saved any incidents. In my replay Vincenzos line is much tighter than in Peters video so obvious issue there much like in the videos posted before race.

I wasn't planning on attempting to pass Vince at 130R. But you are correct in as much as I should not be racing anyone too closely.

It is a shame for me to have to do so, but I resign from the league and the seaon. I have had many great races and as such a lot of fun, however, the competition is now "too hot" [too good] for me to participate in a safe and fair manner.

Thank you all for the many, many years of racing, especially Nico :) and all the troop.:thumbsup: I will monitor your progress from afar. Thank you and appreciation to all...:cool:

It is a shame for me to have to do so, but I resign from the league and the seaon. I have had many great races and as such a lot of fun, however, the competition is now "too hot" [too good] for me to participate in a safe and fair manner.
If you expect to win in every race your pace isn’t good enough, but it’s good enough for being competitive.
And we are constantly at risk to be involved in incidents, and if we wouldn’t be, racing would be a bit boring. Racing close is a bit like dancing, both participants skills are equally important for the couples ability to go through the difficult moves. In racing the outcome of a close fight is always a result of both drivers choice of actions.
If I'm going to create a list sorted in order of the safest driver first your name pops up in my mind among the candidates for the first place. It's always exciting to have you as opponent on the track. And since I got to know you, in season 1, I have always considered you as one of the most thoughtful and safe drivers.
Random incidents and tech stuff are not among our major concerns, it's the driver's attitude and sportsmanship that are the most important factors for a simracing leagues success. Therefore, I always think of you when I search in memory for those of us who have a record to be proud of.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back