Season 9 - General Discussion

Skins have to be moved to "Simbin/Race install 2" in my documents....!!?
take backup from your customskins and player profiles. delete both installs in the my docs, preferably the whole SimBin folder (you can rename it and the copy back the files you need). Start the game. You should now have only one folder

The game creates a new My Docs\SimBin\Race07 folder on every install. If it finds an old one it usually creates the "install2" folder.

Kennett can you maybe please make a complete and easy to understand "tutorial" on how to get everything to work as it was before?
I would then link this tutorial in the news thread.

It is simple, i'll put the steps here.. Mind, you i haven't tested this myself, i'm just looking at the folder structure and it's very logical.

What changed:
The location of the gamefiles. Nothing else, no physics updates, no bug fixes, we are still driving Race 07 v1.2.1.10. It's a major change so the game has to be started from Race 07, not from any of the expansions. In the first start after update you'll get config screen. It acts like a new install so My Docs\SimBin requires some action too.

The old address:
Steam\steamapps\[STEAM USER ID]\Race 07

The new address:
Steam\steamapps\common\Race 07

Everything after that is the same as before. So it's only one change, the STEAM USER ID changed to "common".

Customskins and player profile:
Rename the old SimBin\Race 07 folder in My Docs. Start and close the game (no need to go past config screen). This creates a new My Docs\SimBin\Race 07 folder. Copy all folders from the old renamed Race 07 to the new one (Customskins and userdata are the most important ones).. Do not copy the two txt files (sysinfo.txt and GameInstallDir.ini)

Mods and tracks:
Copy everything from your old Gamedata and UIData to the new location. Windows will ask for "Folder Replace", click "Yes to All".

End of "tutorial"

_________________________________________________________________​
_____________________________________________________________________​

You should not have any overwrites but some old mods does use the encrypted "virtual" data that is now visible. The old system was done so that if a physical copy of the file exists it uses that over the virtual one. But for us this should not be a concern, MMG mod doesn't use any modified original data. I'll add to this info by the way my install progresses.

This of course can have great consequences, XD and RTT should still work, haven't tested... A lot of mods will not work, all Weissbierbude, VLM and etc mod groups that used installers will install to wrong address.

Check also the Race07 forum, it most certainly has something about this subject... ;)

I did raise concerns about security and i'm afraid we'll get a total dismantle of the public server scene if the teenwannabehackers find out how to exploit model data.. So i won't be talking about that elsewhere, i don't want to give them ideas.. All thou i do have some, have to refrain the temptation to go trolling in the publics now ..:geek: EDIT: All data is encrypted bu that is really not a hurdle since the decrypter is easily googled..

Don't be alarmed by the stuff you find in the new Gamedata folder. Confirm folder replace notify, so far in my install no files have been overwritten. There are a lot new folder there. They are the folders that were virtual earlier. The same can be found all over, the folder structure is completely physical now...

What are you talking about? I didn't have any steam update or something and my folders are the same... When is this comming?

Make sure you got the auto update set on. Open steam, right click Race 07 and select properties. Select updates tab and check if the updates is set to auto or off. It's coming now, my install is almost over, i got tons of WIP mods, tracks and mod/track backups so it takes some time..

2196 MB :confused: This is downloading the whole game plus add ons :confused: Will it delete the old files or it's gonna become double size?

Yup, it's a major change so there is going to be a lot of downloading.. That's why i strongly recommend starting the update ASAP. For those who want to wait until night for the download, try putting Steam offline before starting the game... Patch 1.2.1.10 did remove the offline function alltogether from most steam installs so.. Tough luck really.

The old data is not deleted so you need to do it your self. I'll bet Steam has already done it's part and prune all it's unnecessary files out. It's good that it does not delete old data, that way you get the change of moving the old content to he new install.. The alternative being that all you mods and tracks would've vanished... I'll prefer manual deletion in this case ;)

As how necessary this update is.. We see the game now in it's non-steam form, the original game so to speak. This will increase the data integrity and i can easily see SimBin/Steam changing it's cheat detection now that it's possible to actually check those files.. Before they were loaded to cache in the HDD/RAM and manipulating them was way easier, hacker could use the filenaming rule and the way the game searhes and indentifies files to replace some stuff on the fly (the game searches a file and selects the first one it finds. the order of the search is physical first, then virtual... Virtual files were 100% surely original but since it couldn't check whether the new physical file is the same as the virtual one...there we get the skidrow vulnearability hack etc..) After this update the game is fully open, no more two types of data and no more illegal file replacement.

This gives more weapons for Steam but it also opens up the structure for reverse engineering.... Now you see the game like i have seen it for about a year now.. I got all this data unlocked, decrypted in my HDD exactly in the same stucture...

So in a sense, this has been overdue since the launch....

So thanks to this new update I barely could fix my profiles cause every time I started the game it created a new folder in documents. install 2, install 3... Ok this was fixed now the next problem. The game cannot recognize the mod nor can find the tracks. I'm pissed right now! Is it something that I do wrong? I tryed to copy gamedata and uidata but it didn't find the mod. Then I istalled the mod from the zip file and again - unknown cars and unknown track. What the hell happened?

So I somehow found the fix:
1st: follow all the steps Kennett wrote above
2nd: when you copy the players folder open GameInstallDir.ini and change your username to "common".
3rd: restart steam!
4th: delete all files and folders from your previous location
5th: start the game from whatever shorcut you want.

PS: it worked only once. Now I have to find the reason why Race 07 doesn't want to start anymore. Freakin' awesome! I love when somebody releases patches and updates which brake the whole well working system!

Thats the problem that I have, it only starts once.
When you exit steam and start it again it will work but only once then you have to restart steam again

After the update, everything appears to work fine without me having to do anything.

The only apparent change is that the game defaults to the Blue Race 07 GUI, instead of the red GTR Evo one. Spa 08 and all of your skins and mine are present. Logged onto a Presto server. Yippee!! :)

Edit: All I have installed is one mod [ours], the tracks we use [plus any of the 70's versions] and our F1 skins. I "cleaned up" my install [removed mods/ skins] years ago after the public servers :O_o: lost their lustre [for me :) ].

I'll do a few laps of Spa latter tonight my time to test it and discover [spot] the braking marker for this final corner sequence where the old Bus Stop use to be.

I saw this thread a bit too late, i did not know what to do after the update as the game stopped working and i thought to delete everything and reinstall steam and the game from scratch ...1 day job and everything is in place ..BUT....

- when loading the game it takes ages to start , then when I enter the server / track the game start loading and somehow or stops loading or freezes and never get to enter the track...

any idea what is wrong? Kennet ?

Thanks for help..

I've heard this happening, also restarting steam is necessary after the first start. My copy works flawlessly for me, no slowing down, no issues but every system is unique, it doesnt tell really anything.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 76 7.1%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 114 10.6%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 157 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 299 27.8%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 425 39.5%