Season 9 - General Discussion

the new version of the track is so diffrent to the version weve used in the past nico it would be like driving a diffrent track but i understand what your saying preferably any tracks used last season not to be used this one.

I am interested in joining as a Div2 driver (only did RD season 1 F1 league and not raced them since), but the 2 race format is not for me. I like long races and if Div2 is a training ground then it should be the same as Div1 with maybe lower damage.

I will get the mod and practise just in case though.

I would love to have you onboard Bob! :)
My personal opinion is that you could keep up in Div 1 as well but I think this mod is very hard to drive so its not a bad idea to start in Div 2 to get used to it.
If anything I can imagine that the races will be shorter but I wouldnt really like to see a 2 race format either, we'll see about that :)

I've updated the draft calender a few posts back. I ditched Silverstone for the moment, I didn't realise we did it last season. Obviously it can go in if thats what the people want (since Nico said so) but I agree that doing a tracks every second season just seems to make sense.

I also shuffled Spa, Monza and Singapore so they happen before the real races. The real F1 races have also been added to the calender.

It would be helpful if all drivers could comment on which of the 3 options works and doesn't work for them.

1. Early start (8.8.2012)
2. 1 Week space between races either once or twice during the season.
3. Reduce the season to 9 races.

It sounds currently as though most are happy to start 8.8.12, though I'm not sure whether Nico was concerned about it for others only or also for himself? What about those that haven't commented yet? Thoughts?

I am interested in joining as a Div2 driver (only did RD season 1 F1 league and not raced them since), but the 2 race format is not for me. I like long races and if Div2 is a training ground then it should be the same as Div1 with maybe lower damage.

I will get the mod and practise just in case though.

The fact that a div 2 will not only be for new members but also the slower excisting once strengthen the chance of the format being equal to div 1 (except damage). Ultimately it is the opinion of those who are going to race in div 2 that is important and that hopefully includes you Bob :) (We only have 2 Bob's so far, it would be great with a third :)

It sounds currently as though most are happy to start 8.8.12, though I'm not sure whether Nico was concerned about it for others only or also for himself? What about those that haven't commented yet? Thoughts?
-I have no problem starting 8th of August personally (I am more worried about everybody else).
;) i.o.w. I want everybody to be there for the season start, but I am sure you wish the same Tim :)

Every option goes for me. I would mind starting next week so any date suits me fine. E-mail voting seems like a good option. The starting day first, then track choices and race days or something like that. Starting date kind a have to be first, makes it a lot easier for Nico to start shuffling the final calendar.

I put Tims calendar draft here (no need to switch pages...), it at least gives one option and good references when each of us think about this. Without a list of dates it's kind a hard...

TEST DRAFT UNOFFICIAL CALENDER v2.0

8.8 – Presto Race 1 - HUNGARY
15.8 – Spare Wed
22.8 – Presto Race 2 - SPA
29.8 – Spare Wed
2.9 – F1 Spa
5.9 – Presto Race 3 – MONZA
9.9 – F1 Monza
12.9 – Spare Wed
19.9 – Presto Race 4 – SINGAPORE
23.9 – F1 Singapore
26.9 – Spare Wed
3.10 – Presto Race 5 –
7.10 – F1 Suzuka
10.10 – Spare Wed
14.10 – F1 Korea
17.10 – Presto Race 6 - KOREA
24.10 – Spare Wed
28.10 – F1 India
31.10 – Presto Race 7
4.11 – F1 Abu Dhabi
7.11 – Spare Wed
14.11 – Presto Race 8
18.11 – F1 Austin
21.11 – Spare Wed
25.11 – F1 Brazil
28.11 – Presto Race 9 - BRAZIL
5.12 – Spare Wed
12.12 – Presto Race 10

Sorry, couldn't help myself.. I was wondering about Tims draft and made one that coincide more to the rhythm of the real races. 10 races starting from 15.8. ends one week sooner and is as close to the real life rhythm that i could arrange this mess.. ;) Spa and Monza are back to back weeks.

8.8 – Presto Race 1 - HOCKENHEIM(new or 1999 layout?)
15.8 Rest
22.8 –Presto - Race 2 - HUNGARY
29.8 – Rest
2.9 – F1 Spa
5.9 – Presto Race 3 - SPA
9.9 – F1 Monza
12.9 – Presto Race 4 - MONZA
19.9 – Rest
23.9 – F1 Singapore
26.9 – Presto Race 5 - SINGAPORE
3.10 – Rest
7.10 – F1 Suzuka
10.10 – Presto Race 6 - SUZUKA
14.10 – F1 Korea
17.10 – Rest
24.10 – Presto Race 7 - Korea?
28.10 – F1 India
31.10 – Rest
4.11 – F1 Abu Dhabi
7.11 – Presto Race 8 - ABU DHABI
14.11 – Rest
18.11 – F1 Austin
21.11 – Presto Race 9 - Austin*
25.11 – F1 Brazil
28.11 – Rest
5.12 – Presto Race 10 - Brazil

*Austin is not done so instead we could take Cicada, Montjuich, Donington, Imola, A1/Osterreichring, Le Mans, Detroit 1988 layout.... There is at least one track released for all that are marked bold and in my draft we skip India since that is not released either,. Personally i would switch Abu Dhabi for a classic track, much rather be driving in A1 than abudha-can-you-bi-any-more-boring

There is some personal preferences there. Hockenheim is SimBin release in the RaceRoom2 free bundle. But it's ruined track, the 1999 version is the real Hocke... Mizing some classic content was one the highlights for me: Montreal 79 layout with modern beasts... That was some awesome race... Montjuich could be one of those too since it's excellent formula curcuit but way too dangerous to do it in real life anymore. Cicada is not really my favourite (honestly) but it is designed for modern F1 with all the required runoffs and overtaking opportunities built in.

Le Mans, Detroit and Imola would be just too awesome, maybe the universe would collapse with all that amount of legends they would create.....Specially Le Mans... 3 hours of Le Mans, anyone? ;)

Looks like a good race calendar Kennett, Hockenheim would be nice and I personally would love to race with an F1 car at Le Mans :)
Just for interest, would it be possible regarding copyrights to create a track pack, so that all the tracks are installed by unpacking one rar file in the Race game folder?
Should be no problem if we mention the copyright information of all the tracks in a txt file, or am I wrong about this?

You're partially right, no need to specially write credits: all track should have Readme in them. If it's not there, it's authors loss for being so lazy... Trackpacks are "allowed" unless specifically said so.. None of the tracks that communities normally use have that condition. They aren't considered to be a part of community if it can only be downloaded via special website generating ad revenue in the process. I know that i won't be recommending such a release.

But.. There's that butt... It would be quite a big package to download... Haven't checked but it could become too large..

Just took first taste of Le Mans.. I can tell you it's a thrill to draft behind two cars going 357km/h and passing them.. Speed instantly dropped 5km/h.. You get 5 places where the car reaches at least 340... or 350... depends how good you were at the start of that straight.. Also super softs take a lot of laps, hard even more so.. It would be 1 stopper unless we extend it. Oh, SS laptimes were 5 seconds faster than hards (SS :inlove:min, top drivers probably would go 5-6 seconds under that, qualy could be ~2m50s.)... XD shows 9 liter per lap fuel (around 220 liter for the 70 minute race...).. Would be quite different. Is it too different, i'm not sure but it is certainly something to take into consideration. Awesome drafting, need i say more?

EDIT: And it's only 20 seconds slower with bent front suspension and without front wing. SuperSofts will wear out ~4% per lap.. 24 lap race... 1 stopper with super-softs.. 30 laps would make it 90 minute race but the straights really are almost too relaxing. One tends to forget that he is actually racing, totally different experience. Pitstops would be long with lots of fuel, 30 laps would take around 270 liters to fnish... Somebody shoot this day dream and fast or i'll start to plan race strategy soon..

capture_2012-06-09_02-56-37.jpg
capture_2012-06-09_02-56-45.jpg

I think i haven't acquired this much damage over any lap... Before the reartires got bent, it was quite nice around lefthanders but quite awful going any other direction and yes, the wheel is straight here.. Le Mans...

Looks a bit like abstract art :D
Thx for the info Kennett ill see if its possible or necessary to do a pack once the calendar is complete.
You get me more and more interested in that daydream of yours haha
Le Mans would sure be different because of the long straights where you can regenerate concentration again so maybe we can consider this as an extended race (2h or so) for the seasons final event, a little special in the end like Monaco was this season

Thanks for the input guys. I think a might be best to keep this discussion simple and avoid the detailed chat about tracks until after the calendar is finalised. My main goal is to get the 10 Wednesdays settled.

I'm also a bit concerned about us having too many edits of the draft Calendar, e really need most people to comment on the same thing. I think were quite close to what we will end up with. The key is knowing when people are happy to start and how much they value the consistent 2 week gap.

thats true Tim, I think the next step is to see if drivers are happy with Kennetts "half finalized" calendar and then the following step could be to make a decision for example with an email voting when to start and which tracks are prefered the most for the still outstanding dates

Getting fed up with small problems with tracks.. 2004 Le Mans had XSector2.gmt, which is a invisible gate that you drive thru to mark the end of sector 1 and the beginning of sector 2, was 1m too high so you could squeeze under it in F1 car, thus not completing a lap. Once again the fix is done under 1 minute.. Why the frakking frak do trackbuilders release this kind of stuff. Everything else is wonderfully executed and then a simple mistake make it unusable..

Dates as they are i would miss 1st and race 7 due to work otherwise rest fine so im happy with those dates :). We need to find out what everyone else thinks, im happy missing a couple races as other dates around i would still miss races if changed around etc so i would prefer going with what everyone else decides:thumbsup:

im fine with dates.

im not fine with some of these track suggestions though, le mans? i mean cmon, we should be as close to f1 as possible, so even if a track isnt available it should still be a track thats used in f1 and preferrably the most upto date version.

imo

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 296 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 205 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 199 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 147 7.6%
  • < 5 years