Season 8 Race 7 Shanghai - Setup thread

Should never look at those onboard laps (don't stop posting, i just need to stop watching.. doesn't do any good for my self-confidence, feel like retiring again.).. It looks like a different car class... I'm going 3 seconds faster than real life F1 in 2007 could do and not far from Rosbergs qualy lap this year in terms of driving performance, i open up the throttle in the same places, brakedistances are about the same, same drivingline

Most impressive onboard laps are a result of hours of track time/practice. If I/they were to post a lap after only a small amount of practice, it would look much more like yours. Ofcourse there are exceptions, people with pure talent, but for the vast majority of our drivers their lap times comes from spending hours on the server.

I can feel like I am doing a perfect lap, and after some more practice I am suddenly half a second faster. Also, practicing online helps you improve your laps as you can discuss the track with other drivers, identify what turns you are loosing time etc.

I know the feeling you are describing Kennett, I used to have the same, it seems impossible to get faster, but now I have learned it is just a matter of practice/track time.

Also, remember, it is usually the very fastest guys who post their onboard laps. And our cars are faster than normal f1 cars, so that we are faster than Nico Rosberg is not due to talent :)

Yep, we are doing +340KPH at the end of backstraight and the speed trap in the last GP was 326KPH. The average speed was 197KPH on Rosbergs pole lap and mine is 210KPH...

I knew beforehand that China and Bahrain will be the slowest races for me, don't really like both of those tracks, hard to motivate myself to do any practice. And i can bet that no amount of practice will get me to those 1:29 lap times anyway, haven't got the natural talent for it, low 1:31 at max. The same goes for all other types of games, FPS, RPG etc. I can get better than the median level but no where near the top, too slow reflexes. The only way i can get some success is to use my mind, get better tactic and strategy skills, pure talent is under median level. It's been like that from 1984 so it will not change.

EDIT: There is funny thing i've noticed a while back. When i'm being chased or am chasing, i'm second faster. That is usually because it's so much easier to scale speed up when i have a reference car in my sights. Without one it's much harder..
And i just read that there's a real Jordan 1998 F1 in the city that been converted to high spec simulator.. The best lapper gets something... I think i'll have to take a look at it ;)

One thing that still causes wonder, it's been like that for the whole season. My PB is now 1:32.6 with 16l fuel and s-softs. Then i took 60l onboard and switched to softs: 1:33.1... Shouldn't it drop a lot more?

EDIT: less wings and i won't be making faster laps, that 1:32.000 is just too cool.

I think it shouldn't. Soft isn't that far away from super soft (especially if they are fresh) and 60 L isn't that much fuel. If you would use mediums and 85 L it would be slower.

PS: Don't let you demotivate by other's best laps as it's their "best" lap. Others also make mistakes and have to decrease the agressiveness for a long race. So if you concentrate on consistancy and are able to make a race without big mistakes, you should earn good points. The more consistant you drive, the more confidence grows in you. This way your general speed slowly increases and your overall feeling for the car increases too. So you'll become a quicker driver in race and qualy. It's just a matter of time...

My fastest laps here i have noticed are with 1 lap flyer i do a run with ss and just 9 litres i think your pb would be slight improved with this kennet and this is exactly how it will be in superpole. Ive also done some running with 65 litres meds and softs and my pace is both in the 32s/33s best being a 32.2.
I think the videos are helpfull to try different gears etc and also if using there setup. I know before people would upload videos and i 1st started i would go on youtube and watch a real life f1 onboard lap to get a idea of the correct line to be on. I think 90% of a fast lap is to be on the right line and as Reik says practise and consistentcy times will come down slowly always improving. I know watching Reiks laps and using his setup generally helps me find more time each track, here i got closer by noticing he was alot tighter t1 more like real f1 over weekend to, i was taking a wider line at points of t1 which must have been costing me .2 or 3

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back