Season 8 Race 4 Montreal '79 - setup thread

Reik Major

Premium
In comparison to other races this time I'm early in posting a setup, because I did a few laps here before the season started.

I started with a setup with wings like 4/25 or so. It felt good but finally I'm faster witht he posted setup using wings 1/18. I'm very uncertain if my PB is already very fast or if there's more possible with another approach (especially in terms of setup). So I hope others also post a vid of their best lap. I'm curious. :)

Here's mine:

Attachments

• Reik-Mot79-F1-b.svm
    2.5 KB · Views: 407
I'm very uncertain if my PB is already very fast or if there's more possible with another approach (especially in terms of setup).

Isn't it nice to have some uncertaintly about the lap times for a change? :) I am very uncertain if anyone can do 55 laps, or whatever, at that pace with low wings...... and then there is the rain.:cool: Whoo Hoo....

My begining car setup uses 5/38 wing for a 1'11.5 i think. Good enough to learn the track and work out where "Big balls", ala James Hunt:cool:, is required. Who needs run off areas and tapered curbs? . Great lap as always Reik :)

Slug lap:

I added a newer version of my car setup used last night in some great sprint races with the flyin' Finn Marko and the lads.:cool:

Changelog:
5/34 wing added a click to 7th gear.
It still has the additional third spring rear settings
74 front spring for additional steering responsiveness and stronger rear springs for balance.

Attachments

• 79Montreal_qual_1.svm
    2.5 KB · Views: 283
  • 79Montreal_qual_2.svm
    2.5 KB · Views: 285
I am very uncertain if anyone can do 55 laps, or whatever, at that pace with low wings......

Well, finally I always tend to use the setting which results in the fastest laps. :) Sounds a bit ironic to your quotation but it's meant serious. If a setup with very low wings is the quickest one, I'll use it as a base for the race setup. Then it's all about adopting the driving style to be safe with it.

But I know how you really mean it. You mean if low wing is much more risky to handle then the question is how low should the wing be to have a good balance between risk (fast) and safety (slower). I also think about that and I'm still uncertain what to do. :) This is the cool thing about using a so far unknown track. I'm very curious how different finally the approaches of the drivers are.

My setup has evolved from Reik's Silverston q setup :)
It has 3/24 I think in wings and ss tyres in front and soft rear tyres. I think it behaves nicely on track with even wear on all 4 wheels. So far I can make low 1:30's with it, but that will improve to 1:29's ;)

EDIT: So far I can make low 1:13's with it, but that will improve to 1:12's

Attachments

• s8 r2.svm
    2.6 KB · Views: 311
I tried Sean setup (ex Reik :) ) and I did 1.13.774 I was at 1.15 1.16 with default but most important thing is see the videos, I learn one thing Im very slow when turn my steering in videos I saw ( speak about 1st chicane) more speed than me so I decided change lock in steering from 300 degrees at 220 degrees now the response is much more immediate another thing is use of 1st gear (always in videos) usually my use is low but this time is required so I must better slow down in T6 or T8 for example for find just rpm and put 1st gear in out of turn T7 orT9 and jump ahead. Little change in this setup two click more in "engine brake map" now is 6 and 92% brake pressure found my car more sweet when pump on mine pedal minus oversteer.
This evening will try Peter setup Im curious about regulation 3rd spring.
Would be a great thing post Motec log for compare where are the mistakes but guys this take us/me a big lot of time the videos are a big thing and there is here a great amount of study.

Thanks guys all for your effort.:)

PS ......... Dad I fear 1st chicane is nightmare.......:eek:

Little change in this setup two click more in "engine brake map" now is 6...

Hm... I thought maximum value is "4". (Can anyone confirm?) If I'm right, I asume the game takes "4" even though you fill in "6". (Is that right then?)

PS ......... Dad I fear 1st chicane is nightmare.......:eek:

Ha, ha, me too! :) Better stay away from the curbs there all time.

Hm... I thought maximum value is "4". (Can anyone confirm?) If I'm right, I asume the game takes "4" even though you fill in "6". (Is that right then?)

No idea really whether values above 4 work. But I believe that the braking map values range from 0 to 8 in this mod.

Maybe try out the Setup Editor. http://www.racehub.se/setup-editor/

There are a few hidden tweeks to be found with it.

No idea really whether values above 4 work. But I believe that the braking map values range from 0 to 8 in this mod.

Maybe try out the Setup Editor. http://www.racehub.se/setup-editor/

There are a few hidden tweeks to be found with it.

Oh dear, you're right! :eek: Don't know how I could think the maximum is "4"! I used the setup editor only a few times far in the past. Since then I always change engine brake mapping manually in the txt.file.

Now I'm happy having learned this one, even though in the most cases more then "4" wasn't required to have a decent "brake into a corner behavior".

something very interesting about most of the setups posted here, no matter what setup i try i always get the same result, i am already decided on Peters second setup as his setup felt a bit more easy for me to drive on this crazy track than the rest, but for curiosity i tried Reik 3/22 did not improve but got close to my PB then i tried Nicolai setup after reducing the fuel and with super softs and did first 5 laps to get used to his totally new setup innovation in different areas and then to my surprise i went on and did a 110-90 which is very close to my PB.
this new setup reached top speed a bit quicker than usual , maybe because of the reduced front toe and lower front camber ? but then i found that it did require to be very smooth on throttle and on the steering on the exits to get the front to stick , if you press a bit harder the car tend to understeer , and with my rough driving it did not work well in every turn :confused: ..

thx for everyone who shares his setup here, your bringing more fun to the races by sharing your time and experience with us, i used to have lots of free time last year to do testings and creating setups but this year things have changed , I barely have the time to see my family after work , so your setups are highly appreciated :)

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 296 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 205 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 199 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 147 7.6%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 263 13.6%