Season 8 Race 4 Montreal '79 - Drivers meeting

After I did a stint with Valerio, Jim and Nicolai. We said a few of words about cutting in the chat. Later I watched the replay, I was curious if I had cut somewhere. But surprisingly, it turned out that I drove clean the whole stint. Probably it's because the curbs are narrower than in many other tracks. Then when I think that I am among the worst at not keeping myself clean and inside the white lines, because I always want to use the entire track surface that's available, I'm convinced that there is only a very low risk for cutting.

in first laps when I had Nico behind I cut in last chicane T7 think (I was a bit long) I lift lift my feet and let pass Nico also if not necessary because I had a bit of advantage on him but for me is correct so and immediately solve problem of cutting.
Things that happen : I see Valter spin front me and nothing happened I thought some Odino or Thor protect you:) me lost wing damage suspension etc. disaster. The 1st chicane is black beast:confused: at last Im agree with you Valter not many places for cutting but many places for crash:D

Jim Im wrong or the sound of your video is Benny Hill Show him and all those pretty girls ? a must:D
Benny.jpg

in first laps when I had Nico behind I cut in last chicane T7 think (I was a bit long) I lift lift my feet and let pass Nico also if not necessary because I had a bit of advantage on him but for me is correct so and immediately solve problem of cutting.
Things that happen : I see Valter spin front me and nothing happened I thought some Odino or Thor protect you:) me lost wing damage suspension etc. disaster. The 1st chicane is black beast:confused: at last Im agree with you Valter not many places for cutting but many places for crash:D

That's my approach too, i might cut but i make sure i gain nothing. Lift in the straight is my tactic so if you're behind me and you see me cut i will let you pass (if i judge the gain is too much, i'll let Jury to cast the decision but i won't be offended if my judgement is challenged...). I picture walls in the place where all four wheels would be off track (outside white lines) and if my imagination says, "you just died" i'll let go.. If i have to perform lap after lap without ever crossing the white lines, i'll have to drop to dangerous speeds. 75'% of the laps i don't cut 2nd chicane, 50% of those cuts i bounce all over and loose time and rest i lift after clear cutting. Don't feel like i've actually gained anything if i use different layout than the rest. so that leaves about one possible cut in 8 laps. Hopefully it will be lower than that.I do my race practice tomorrow, sometime after 5PM GMT, i know more after that.

But for Racejury, if we have any, would be nice to at least check after the race the overall behaviour in chicane 2.. Would make everybody take that corner more easily if instant penalty is looming in th distance...

There are problems with track layouts that are not anymore elligible for modern formula.. My main hurdle was that i've by co-incidence i've trained a lot in modern Montreal and those 2nd sector turns are just slightly different... had to figure what is different and mainly it's all about speed thru corners that's very different.. Modern F1 cars simply won't survive in 1979 but we have to somehow drive around that problem... A good choice of track and a well accepted challenge. Many old classics in their original form classify anymore as competitive F1 circuit anymore. We are not talking about runoff width but actual physical limits.

In Sweden there is a saying that some people can have "a guardian angel". But perhaps it is Odin who keeps an eye on me by his ravens Hugin and Munin:)

But for Racejury, if we have any, would be nice to at least check after the race the overall behaviour in chicane 2.. Would make everybody take that corner more easily if instant penalty is looming in th distance...

The race jury consist of all league members and the only things looming in the distance are instant shame and loss of glory and gentleman lable... :)

I was with Peter, Nico and Tim Sunday night doing some practice on Montreal , we had some great fun and very close battles for 3 stints and everything was fine with the server , then Peter and Nicolai left, so me and Tim decided to go another stint and this what had happened :

At the start of our stint i passed Tim and i was looking at my mirrors to see where he was as we were approaching the first chicane then to my surprise I saw Tim car jumping of the ground and strait in the air but i did not feel anything so i stopped and asked him of what happened and he replied " I was to your left !!!" in a way that if i had blocked him and he had no choice but to hit me ... it felt a bit weird as I have not done anything wrong and did not block him...

Anyway today i had the chance to check the replay and to my surprise I saw that we had this massive air gap between both cars !!...

I had to report this incident as we are 3 drivers from this region me Peter and Tim and everything was fine with the server when we were racing the moment before and when the rest left this happened so I am really worried that something similar could happen on the race day on this crazy track ...

is there anything we can do from our side / or the host side to prevent this?

At the start of our stint i passed Tim and i was looking at my mirrors to see where he was as we were approaching the first chicane then to my surprise I saw Tim car jumping of the ground and strait in the air but i did not feel anything so i stopped and asked him of what happened and he replied " I was to your left !!!" in a way that if i had blocked him and he had no choice but to hit me ... it felt a bit weird as I have not done anything wrong and did not block him...

It would be interesting to see the same replay from Tim's perspective.

In general I can say that two Aussie drivers fighting is probably the biggest challenge when it comes to lag and sync-isues, as the signal hva to go from you, to Oslo and back again. I am guessing you were just unlucky, that at that moment there was a glitch in the internet connection. I think if the server, or your local computer, lacks information about the other cars the game will anticipate until the signal has returned.

I cannot however rule out that there is more to it than this, like that two Aussies alone on server is much worse than if there is a 3rd car there located in Europe, perhaps that somehow helps smoothen things out, although I feel now I am talking about stuff Iknow little about.

But I agree with you Anthony, looking at the replay there is no way you could or can avoid such an incident from happening.

EDIT:
The only things I can think of that you can do is
a) use a cable and not wireless internet connection
b) run GameBooster
c) cross your fingers and keep your distance to other Aussies :)

EDIT:
The only things I can think of that you can do is
a) use a cable and not wireless internet connection
b) run GameBooster
c) cross your fingers and keep your distance to other Aussies :)

Thx Nico for the info :)

a) i am connected by cable to the internet and i am on a premium account from my internet provider.( the fastest speed available)..
b) i installed GameBooster right after the incident at Istanbul.
c) i am left with this hope, i will try this trick to c if it works :)..

Thanks for the video Anthony. That's not how I remember that incident at all! When I get home I'll try and post my replay. Peter and I also had a chat about a couple of incidents from that same session, I'll include those too. I'm running cable internet (cat6 to the PC) but also cable to the home, and get a ping of 6-15 to local servers (clearly not presto servers) and sometimes download rates of 80-100Mbps. I haven't used game booster for quite a while, but after my blue screen last race, and these couple of incidents, I'll try everything I can to smooth things out.

Tim.

Edit: I made the video! I've included two incidents I had with Peter. I haven't seen his replay of them but I am interested to know how different they were. The 2nd one shows clear air when contact occurs. I'll just need to make sure I leave plenty of room. The first one, I make the move down the inside and go a little deep. It's a borderline one, but I thought the move was okay. Keen to hear other opinions (Peter especially). Again it might well be that it looked very different from Peters replay.

My personal view:

Incident 1 (with Anthony): In future in identical situation I would leave more room for Anthony as it is already clear you will have to give up t1 to him, so all focus should be give room and stay safe. That Anthony left the right edge of the track as the "right bend" on the straight appeared is no shocker. So no mistakes done, but it could have been avoided by "giving in" earlier. Having said that, it would not have happened without sync/lag problem.

Passing of Peter 1:
Looks very nice from my perspective.

Passing of Peter 2:
I think the first attempt (1:10 into the video) put Peter out of shape and made passing in the next turn possible. Looking at the video you are in control (you are able to stop the car and let Peter ahead before the apex), but Peter sees you and get's out of shape due to it. I am curious to know what Peter things.

I do not think any of the two passings would have been disallowed after a race, but I know I would have let you past asap instead of having you on my tail (in the real race that is, in practice I would make it hard for you :)) .

Edit: I made the video! I've included two incidents I had with Peter. I haven't seen his replay of them but I am interested to know how different they were. The 2nd one shows clear air when contact occurs. I'll just need to make sure I leave plenty of room. The first one, I make the move down the inside and go a little deep. It's a borderline one, but I thought the move was okay. Keen to hear other opinions (Peter especially). Again it might well be that it looked very different from Peters replay.

From my memory only, I had no "issue" when you passed me Tim. Anyway as a quick review :

Pass 1:
I saw you coming and you positioned your car well so i could see i had lost before turning in. I probably struggled with control and steering a little when Anthony took the opportunity to pass me as well, I couldn't see him until he appeared on the apex. You are both show offs.:)

Bingle:
I see the air-touch, which was actually the only incident that I recalled.:eek: That's pretty bad internet sync there. Looks as bad as when I "killed" Jim at Valencia a few seasons ago.

I was leaving as much space I could for Tim to pass and leaving my turn in as late as possible. I couldn't see Tim behind me [he was on the inside] so I assumed I was going to be passed and was being cautious and trying to leave as much room as I could. I wasn't trying to defend.

You are forgiven Tim.

I do not think any of the two passings would have been disallowed after a race, but I know I would have let you past asap instead of having you on my tail (in the real race that is, in practice I would make it hard for you :)) .

Tim wont be behind me until he laps me. :)

Edit:
And the Anthony/ Tim thing was obviously really bad internet sync. Hopefully at pre-dawn aussie time the internet lag is better/ less

Hello Guys,

As always I've been very busy, more than usual, apologies to All I missed Nurburgring and will miss tonight at Montreal too, my parents are in vacation in my home 20 days ago my sister married same day Nurburgring race, I tried to attend those race but was not possible, sorry about that, really a feel sad:( to lose those race.. Nico, I know you try to converse with me, sorry for not respond to you..

sorry my poor English
c u all at Melbourne;)

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back