Season 8 Race 1 Istanbul - Setup

Thx Reik for this hot lap video makes it so much easier to find a good racing line
and also thx for all the setups posted here.
Even if this is not all completely new to me, cockpit view plus that fast car is very different (and a lot harder) from everything Ive driven so far but practising under these conditions is a lot of fun.
Im down to a 1:24.7 I think a 1:23.9 is possible for the super pole but the challenge will be to get a consistent pace for the race.

Good to hear about you're improvements and that you focus on consistancy. If you drive as much laps as you can with race setup you'll improve not only race consistancy but also your speed in generall. So you'll automatically be quicker in qualy mode, too.

Here are my setups for Istan, they're both last seasons but I did ok last time out so I don't see me making any significant changes

Jim

Attachments

• modded silvers#2c.svm
    2.5 KB · Views: 240
  • modded silvers race #1.svm
    2.5 KB · Views: 258
My race setup with softs. No tire warning the first 16 laps with brake power 85%. A little loose in rear with 27 wing. I do a best lap about 1.25.5 with fuel for 17 laps.

Attachments

• istanbul race.svm
    2.4 KB · Views: 225
good laps mate, theres not an awful lot wrong with them, what i did notice though is your entry to turn 5 is very tight, causing to you to get out wide onto the kerb which in turn makes it more difficult to get the power back on, what to do is on the run down to turn 5 try get wider to the right of the track, take a wider entry to turn 5 and get the power on as early as possible to power out and through turn 6.

Very well driven Jonas! :)

I think David found the section where you can earn the most time in relation to the rest of the corners. Finally it's all fine tuning here and there. Considering your big improvment you seem to make over the last few weeks it's for sure your feeling for the car and driving line will automatically improve much more if you just enjoy all the events with us. :)

To Jonas:

I feel silly for even suggestig anything seeing that you already drive the car faster than me :)

However, I will share my thought of your video (besides the fact that it was very nice driving):

In general I got the feeling that you were often "fast in - slow out", that you are too late on the throttle when exiting the turns. But I would think Reik and many others with him would be a better judge of this than me.

Thanks for your advice Nico, obviously youve great experience in driving these cars :)
I notice the same thing too sometimesthat Im too risky and that I prefer driving too fast into corners more than too slow wich also makes me spin more often. I just have to find the right amount of risk I guess :cool:

And thx Reik we'll see how it goes :)

Jonas,
In hotlapping my experience is that I gain from braking in the last moment in most cases. A turn with early apex and a long straight after may be an exception to that rule. I guess the extreme downforce, slick tires, super-brakes and powerful engine of these cars is the reason why it's not a good idea to break significantly early. I think getting the power on early is harder to do and more dangerous than braking late on the bumpy surface of Istanbul.

This is only my personal view of how to attack the corners and a little different from Nicolai's thoughts (forgive me Nicolai). When Nicolai have had the time to prepare himself on a track he is faster than me so you should listen to his advice primarily.

In race, following closely, I have found that braking light and rather early doesn't mean losing to the car in front. Sometimes it can even make me get closer. But it's a matter of trusting the judgement of the driver in front. In this case I use him as reference and if he goes off I usually miss the turn too.

I will be racing using Reik Q setup the -- baa-- one with the same wings and no changes at all except for the brake pressure I put it down to 90% .

I did a 16 laps stint yesterday (my first serious 16 laps stint) with softs all around and 65 l fuel, the grip was good and the car felt good as well all the way and my best lap was 124-4 I guess, I got tire warning on lap 15 but I was able to keep the car on track and finish the stint with the front right tire down to 49% and the rear left down to 58% ...

So looking forwards to see all the guys on track tomorrow morning.

are we still 11 hours ahead of the UK time with the daylight saving so the qualy starts at 7 AM for us down under ?
GOOD LUC KALL :)

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back