Season 8 - Off topic

Ha, ha! I expected you to change your avatar and to post something about it. :)

I'm happy for you. I enjoyed the match very much. Even when Munich was 2:0 behind after 15 minutes I knew they'd have the chance to make it. After Robbens 2:1 I send my tired wife to bed by saying: "...they're now gonna make it into extra time and finaly penalty shoot out, so it will become late." Have I been right? :)
Haha nice intuiton. :) It was a crazy match, probably one of the most exciting Ive ever seen,
I was watching the game in a pub and people went completely crazy when Bayern made it.
To be honest a was more optimistic after the 0:2 than when I saw that Robben took the ball once again from Gomez to shoot the penalty because until then Robben seemed completely insecure and Casillas indeed almost had it.
Had he missed, Bayerns spirit might have been broken but fortunately he didnt.
I think both teams would have deserved the victory but Im happy with the outcome of course :)

Last thursday evening I had some extra free time and I remembered that the AI is doing well at Bahrain in nearly every place. So I decided to try the BPR Mod (Ferrai F355) I recently found at nogrip, because I like such cars and the situation that every driver uses the same car like we do in our league.

I found out that the AI is very challenging at 107 % strength. After some minutes of testing I had a very nice setup, so the tail likes to push a little more and to have a decent turn in oversteer in the last phase of braking.

The outcome is a nice video with some cool racing action :) (looks like the yellow Ferrari was a bit angry after I accidentically touched him in lap 3 :))

I attache the setup just in case someone likes to try...

Attachments

• R-BPR-a.svm
    2.5 KB · Views: 234
I fiddled with the mod a bit.. Everyones welcome to try, it won't screw up online functionality and is easily uninstalled.

http://cream.galleria.fi/PrestoGP/Fixes/F1_2007_Unlimited_v1.msi (Install to Race07 root, link is not IE compatible, use FF, Opera or Chrome. I used installer package so that uninstalling is simple and fast)

This remod adds another BMW with the following changes:
Wings have 50% Downforce and 25% Drag.
Wing setting range doubled, from 20 to 40 in frontwing and 100 to 200 rearwing.
Spring rate dropped to 28 on both front and rear.

Old setups work if you double the wings and increase both spring rates by 30. The increased drag limits the top speed. It's still the same old theoretical 370 but for ex in China, top speed got lowered from 344 to 322. Lap times dropped by 3 seconds. Plus if i've understood everything correctly, 3rd spring becomes now effective. I tried to halve the damper but that proved to be too complex., it's (not yet) included.

Personally, i think i've found something golden. Top speeds are lowered to fit closer to real F1. Drafting becomes more valuable asset and we gain more finess to wing settings. Spring rate limit is finally removed and you can now tune the car to be completely undriveable. I think that ride height adjustments become more important too. If only i find how those dampers work so that we get more range there too. having been driven mostly on front bumb 1 settings, i feel that shouldn't be so.

Since the original physics are not altered, apart from wing drag, there could be a possibility for PrestoGP as one of the more prestigious leagues to apply and receive a permission to use this "Pro-mod", ie mod that's aimed only for pro drivers who do not have the need to limit the user options.. I feel that real F1 simulation should be one where you go to extreme setups (extreme low wings or stupidly soft suspensions ;) ) the car reacts correctly and becomes undriveable. With the mod as-it-is, there's no real disadvantages of extreme setups, the limits are too safe. I understand from the modders point of view why those limits are there, to increase the usability: some beginners have a tendency to go to extremes with the "knowledge" they've gather from GT/Forza type games that often allows such stunts. So if they are allowed to render the car undriveable, they'll give bad reviews, often the same folks who are transferring faulty info are the most stubborn to accept certain facts of life like that their setup skills suck ;) They are the same people who complain that a track is "too hard" while the truth is that they just aren't good enough or have only driven on flat, smooth lo-grip. hi-visibility motor arenas... lol...

Sounds like a big improvement with your "Pro-mod" version. The changed drag makes the car slower and may give us closer racing. We can have a test race off season if we can fill a decent test-pilot start grid.
Silly me, I was thinking Kennett had worked on the Ferrai F355 mod Reik had referred too in the post above. Face palm :notworthy:
I admit that I don't really follow this thread closely; my bad.

Looks like something interesting. :thumbsup:

Yeah a test race would be brilliant but indeed after this season. Sounds very interesting!!! :thumbsup: Even though it maybe a bit boring, I'd suggest to use a track for the test where we allready raced on this season. This way we could compare old and new physics and are still able to remember how it felt with the physics we are using atm.

This sounds very interesting :) However, I have some thoughts/concerns:
1: Should Gunthar/ MAK Corp be contacted? Perhaps it would be a strength if Kennett got Gunthar onboard so changes made could become official (and that we do not step on any toes)?
2: PrestoGP's biggest problem is that we are using a mod which makes recruiting much harder than if we used an ingame car. It would not be a great idea I think if we worsened this situation further.

The second concern is very, very important! This would be the main argument to stay with the mod as it is.

But if we find out, that the changes really increase the racing quality so we'd like to use it in the future and the changes become official so there's a version 2.0 available everywhere then I'm sure the interessted people would just get version 2.0 too and try it out. (The change could be promoted in the RD news section, which surely every RD member checks regulary)

Silly me, I was thinking Kennett had worked on the Ferrai F355 mod Reik had referred too in the post above. Face palm :notworthy:
I admit that I don't really follow this thread closely; my bad.

Looks like something interesting. :thumbsup:

Maybe this topic better fits in the "general discussion thread", because it's about the mod we use - an essential part of the league. So I wouldn't declare it "off topic". ;)

We need to test this first thoroughly. That's why i used values that are easily transferred between the remod and original. If i would have one favour to ask... The remod works with the original mod, you can't join online server because the server hasn't got that car installed. But when you got a good race setup, even after the race, you take the new car for a spin. First return to your saved setup and make the alterations (+30 on front/rear srpingrates, double the wings). Then make a new setup as you would like to do without those pesky limits. I found that front springrate isn't far from the physical limits, dropping it from 58 to 52 gave good results. Also now that wings have more finess, front wing was much easier to set and then finding a good balance with rearwing had more options.

If we get this aero/springpackage to work, maybe we can find new tire gripvalues too to make the hard tires more useable and give us 1 stop strategies.. Kudos for Jonas Lex to suggest that, that gave me the idea of working the wings first since they are the easiest part. I've done another ready of this already so i knew where to start but without Jonases, Jonas's (damn english has some huge gaps in the grammar) initiation, i would've never touched this mess again. Now i'm glad that i did, it took about six hours split between two days to get this in this point...

About re-release, that all is still unsure but if we can deliver a working, tested package that won't take away anything from the original (we are actually making things a bit harder...), chances are better. I've renamed it as Unlimited to distinguish from the original, which is League Edition = LE. My version is UnLimited = UL. I hope to find new damper values too, that would surely be appreciated. You have dealt with the limits for so long that it's confirmed that those limits are too constricting.

EDIT: i don't think that Gunthar had such massive talent base when he decided everything. Most likely he had people like me and to our midpack to test out stuff. Also the amount of time PrestoGP has done with this mod is unheard of. It's more than what SimBin has, for gods sake. If you guys would've done such high limit racing with SimBin original content, the same limits would've appear... That is the angle that i'm trying to represent to him, the amount of experience is unrivalled, no modder ever has got this amount of knowledge. If only i could have three years of solid world class talent testing my tracks, oh boy, would they be absolutely amazing to drive. I've only recently started recruiting complete novices (from new application list ;) ) to fill out the blanks between low to medium and high skill players.. Aliens are still missing from the crew, :geek:. Good example: I had to change Cicada after i started driving here, one corner was unsafe but i didn't know it before i was able to drive it with enough speed, speed that i didn't have before...

But first, test it and give feedback. It shouldn't cut any time from your schedule, which in know is swamped with the so called "real life", i have entrance exam on monday but i'm not afraid to do some simming in the mean time (the exam is just a formality, once i get to the interview part, it's nailed, i have too much experience in the field of sound production and once i make a suggestion of doing some tutoring too.. well, schools here get money for students that pass the final exams, if i can raise that amount, they get better equipment, better teachers, better resources.... done deal)

Damn, my late night post tend to streeeeetch....

Sometimes the game minimises for no obvious reason. An updating service popup or some other s**t can cause that.
To make the game run better, read what the howtogeek has to say about Win7 and Vista.
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/using-windows-vista-compatibility-mode/

Also "Game Booster" may run better with admin rights on Windows7/Vista. I use this for other applications that performs commands. My suggestion is. Open the properties window for the Game Booster .exe file. Set the compatibility(that has its own tab in the window) to run "Game Booster" as admin. Use the button "Show settings for all users" and change the setting in that window.

Valter Ive had this problem for a long time that the game was minimizing, now Im running the game in window mode and I dont have this problem anymore and it seems its running more fluently as well, just as a hint.

About the mod changes.
What I suggested should be changed at the mod first were the tires as Kennett mentioned because I think it would be so much more fun
if we could drive with different strategies.
Now if we do a change at the mod it would make more sense to make one big mod patch with more realistic driving physics as Kennett suggested as well as tire grip/wear changes than doing several small patches.
And as said before I think its very important to make the change official, otherwise it will be hard to get drivers into the league.
(an official mod update would probably even help to get attention to the league)
So first it might be smart to clear it up if a good mod update would be made official by MAK Corp before investing a lot of time
(Im sure they will say yes though) and second even if we dont use the new mod before the next season
which makes a lot of sense as well, we can already start testing some changes at the mod between the races this season,
maybe open a thread where feedback and mod updates are posted?
However its great to have Kennett onboard, someone who really knows about this stuff, opens many opportunities.

About the minimising game:
Is the fact that the car disappears from the track a clue? Does the car disappear if one simply alt+tab to windows? And, are there any clues in event viewer? What I am thinking is that it might be the graphic card driver that crashes and restarts... or would you have known if that was the case? (as that is a well known problem from earlier times that we all know too well).

About the mod changes:
I agree that if a new and improved version of the f1 mod was officially released it could have a positive effect on recruiting, and if there is something we need it is that. But as many point out, it is essential that we use the official mod that is easily attainable for all. Basically I second what Jonas said above :)

I think that when the game minimizes, the car disappears after certain time is passed. Most likely it's under one second, if the server won't get a delta update it takes the car out. Easily tested ;)

About the mod, let's first test if it's even worth the hassle. Gunthar has posted a lot of awesome holiday photos from NZ on FB lately so i'm guessing he's on one.. Once i know that his home and settled, i'll ask him about the possibility.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back