Season 7 Race 9 Hungaroring - Setups Thread

Perhaps it would be best if we agreed that we can go wide in T12 chicane. Then we don't have to worry about who takes advantage of "flag rules off". Many curbs at Hungaroring can punish us directly if we are careless, the one in that chicane is very forgiving, but it may well turn out that this is a difficult challenge to cut the chicane too.
It is easy to miss, even the best of us can run a little outside the legal track when he is right in the heat of battle. And I think it is quite human. This I have found when I studied the replays of our races. I admit freely that I'm definitely not perfect in this regard.

First I like to apology to David! I didn't want to sound like you are too strict in this manner. :)

After reading other guy's thoughts I agree now, that a shown lap must be 100% clean. Believe me that I always want to be clean, especially when it comes to the best laps which are stored on the PrestoGP page and even more when it's about the qualy lap in the main event. That's my biggest goal!

But when I drove this fastest lap here, I was realy certain to be legal and I'm sure I won't be able to beat this time anymore. So now there's a stored best lap time at PrestoGP with this sad flaw. That's why I showed it on purpose to honestly let you know about this dilemma (feeling to be legal from the look of the cockpit view).

I agree with Peter, that we must give ourselfs enough safety margins to avoid cuts and wides. I always do so in the events. I remember having a very clean race at Hockenheim where going wide can happen very easy. But when hot lapping on the server I want to experience the ultimate limit, so the risk to be slightly outside the boundries is much higher of course. This does not mean that my style adjusts in a way I would have a higher risk of cuts and wides. I can always adjust my style if needed. So I agree with Nicholai when he says it's all a matter of intention.

I know we all have the same good intentions, so I understand that Peter and others get a bit bored of this some times repeating discussion. On the other hand it's always helpful I think. :) Even our new member Helder showed with his second video that he completely understands how we all want it to be. And he did it very impressive! :)

@Valter:
I think we had this suggestion in a similar situation but we agreed not to do so, because all learned to drive legal in such a place as often as possible and legalicing a cut now would mean they must relearn driving in this place to find the new limits. So I wouldn't vote for your suggestion and try to stay legal as we always do.

PS: Nicolai, I had a typo in the title and accidentically wrote "Round 8". Are you able to change it to "Round 9"? thx in advance!

PPS: Sorry for the long text! :)

So guys everything is ok i think, and sorry about my mistake and as i said before i agree with David that we should post a legal lap in Preview where the objective is to show the best line to do a lap in each track...and nothing against David but even if we are here discussing about the T12 i think we gonna see sometimes, some cars out off the rules in that corner is too easy to make this type of error, and now i see above "why not to agree with go wide in T12" like Schumy did in that lap for sure it will be fairest for everyone...or we keep the rule of white line?? if yes i'll lose a good few tenths of seconds but I'll be sure to not make the same mistake again. :)

theres absolutly no need to apologise reik, everyones got opinions so dont apologise for putting yours across i took no offence from anything you said.

@ helder, the white line rule isnt up for debate (i dont think) its been a part of presto for so long, i think it would be wise to alter your line and lose a few tenths as you say or there could be a discussion like there is about gaetanno after this race. we all know everyone will try their hardest to be legal, everyone makes mistakes and at presto weve never been a group for punishing innocent mistakes, as long as we are all on the same wavelength that each of us at least try to be legal each lap then theres no problems at all.

p.s guys the point of this was the preview videos by georgios how weve got onto the white line debate again wasnt my intention, sorry about that.

Ok David and as you can read in all my post I made sure to mention that I agree with you because if the objectiv is to show the "perfect" line firstly should be a legal line and now i'm totally cleared about the white lines and what i can say at this moment is no more you will see me out in T12 only if i make a mistake but i'll be sure that i'll no win time there. :)

@ helder, the white line rule isnt up for debate (i dont think) its been a part of presto for so long, i think it would be wise to alter your line and lose a few tenths as you say or there could be a discussion like there is about gaetanno after this race.

I have a feeling David 't word himself unforunatly here, and that it wasn't intended quite as it sounds. I should know, because I've done it many times before :)

I think bottom line is that I think everybody are delighted that you have joined us Helder, not only are you a fiendly guy who understands what Presto GP is all about, you also seem to be able to challenge Reik, and that is something this league always have missed, a real battle for the 1st place (except the days when Pacepusher ruled). I also have a secret hope that the two of you might slow each other down enough to let other fast drivers keep your pace and join the battle :)

I see many put in a lot of practice for the tricky and "impossible to pass" track of Hungaroring, I have hopes, with Reik and Helder both in the race, and 20 more well prepared drivers, that we can possibly have a fantastic event :)

Yup it's true if we got 2 drivers fighting for one place, both of them will lose time what is good for the others, but what i've seen on the server, i think we will got, seriously 3 or 4 drivers or even more declared fighting in the same conditions with Reik, so hope to be even more interesting race than Interlagos?? Why not, why not come fast Hungaroring :p

I have a feeling David 't word himself unforunatly here, and that it wasn't intended quite as it sounds. I should know, because I've done it many times before :)

your right nico it doesnt sound like i intended, i just mean that by your own admission helder that your better being slower and legal than fast and illegal as gaetanno is finding that during races the white line rules still apply, i also agree with nico that its great to have you with us and your being here adds another dimension to our races, im happy your here so please dont think my posts are anything negative about you.

I understood your opinion David, but I was trying to explain that was not my intention to escape the rules, exaggerated in that lap, but we can make good times even fulfilling the rule, then I think everything and everyone is cleared and ready to Hungaroring. :)

Thank you for those words expanding my view Nico. Perhaps the ongoing Gaetano issue was [is] bugging me... No offense was intended by my remarks.

I too am please Helder is with us to challenge for the front. And Carlo?

But also, I don't care if some drivers want to race "Playstation style" from some outside view, T-Cam, whatever. I wouldn't change my preferred in-car view though.

And I agree with Valter, Jim and whomever that if we all agree to run wide somewhere then that's cool. But until we have made such an agreement, should we not all stick to the lines during practice, etc...?

Nice laps Nico and Helder... :)

But also, I don't care if some drivers want to race "Playstation style" from some outside view, T-Cam, whatever. I wouldn't change my preferred in-car view though.

I also wouldn't care if one uses another view. I could never imagine using any other view than the cockpit view.

And I agree with Valter, Jim and whomever that if we all agree to run wide somewhere then that's cool. But until we have made such an agreement, should we not all stick to the lines during practice, etc...?

There doesn't seem to be a special regulation for this chicane on the way, so I think everyone will stick to the rules of course and I think everyone does so also when "just" practicing.
I only mentioned that it's easier to make a mistake when exploring the limits on the practice server. Of course I never finish a lap then and of coures this exploration is over when the main event starts. :)

Thank you for those words expanding my view Nico.
Didn't mean to put words in your mouth, but I understand the logic behind having to be slightly slower if one wants to be 100% clean relative to eg. 95% clean.

I too am please Helder is with us to challenge for the front. And Carlo?
I have seen Carlo once on server, once in forum and once in email, think he is making a slow return (back-problems I think). Perhaps he is aiming for season 8?

This is one of the few things I care greatly about... thus our server password, I can always hear myself say "over my dead body ;)

I like the idea that we can allow cutting and running wide those places where it is only possible to marginally cut/run wide anyway (like wall of champions at Montreal). In places where it is possible to deviate greatly from the track, like in t12 at Hungaroring, I think it is the best solution to respect the white line.

Nice laps Nico and Helder... :)

Well thank you Mr. Marshall

Just to clear something up

I have been in favor of exeptions to the white line rule, but only where the track designer has made an obvious mistake with placing the white line, examples: the wall of champions at Montreal and that other corner at Singapore (the one where the line is 12ft away from the wall), both of these are easy to wave as the absolute track limit is very nicely marked with a big solid wall! these are the only two I can think of where the relaxing of the rule makes total sense

The corner we have been discussing here does not fall into this catagory

Jim

Just to clear something up

I have been in favor of exeptions to the white line rule, but only where the track designer has made an obvious mistake with placing the white line, examples: the wall of champions at Montreal and that other corner at Singapore (the one where the line is 12ft away from the wall), both of these are easy to wave as the absolute track limit is very nicely marked with a big solid wall! these are the only two I can think of where the relaxing of the rule makes total sense

The corner we have been discussing here does not fall into this catagory

Jim

What about most corners at Interlagos? (not running wide there you know, but in most turns at Interlagos I guess it is possible to marginally cut/run wide, but I am not sure there is any time to gain, because you really have to climb the curbs, and you run the risk of driving off.

These are the only two places that I can think of where we could make the exception, we do at Singa on that one corner (the one far round the lap just before the right-left before you go under the bridge), but not at Montreal, although it was discussed at the time the decision was to race only up to the line, not the wall

There might be one other? at Valencia, there is a line on what is basicaly a straight (slight curve) where the line is miles away from the wall, I don't think we've ever discussed that one? did we just ignore it from the start?

I can't think of any other corner on any other track that we currently use where it's even up for debate

Jim

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 77 7.0%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 119 10.8%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 162 14.7%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 304 27.6%
  • 100% offline racing