Season 6 Race 3 Imola - Cutting and running wide

I ran slightly wide on the Rivazza exits. Sorry about that.
More practice required to keep it within the track boundaries. But do we need to discuss the lines?

I attached the quickest lap, a 1:19:406. Under strict judging it must be called illegal, because I was a bit wide on the exit curb between the two Rivazza corners. But it's hard to judge from the cockpit if you have two wheels on the line or slightly outside the lines.

It is my personal view that Imola should be regarded as self-regulatory as the track does not allow for major cuts or wides anyway. But I know everybody does not agree with me here :) (but i wonder how many agrees/disagrees)

It is my personal view that Imola should be regarded as self-regulatory as the track does not allow for major cuts or wides anyway. But I know everybody does not agree with me here :) (but i wonder how many agrees/disagrees)

You write it correctly. hehe :)

I prefer "at least two wheels on the track at all times" regardless of the track.
We could then turn off the Flag Rules for any and all tracks and not receive a Stop N Go penalty when avoiding a disaster and having to "cut the grass".

e.g. Imola has a Stop N Go penalty still in the 1st sector? Monza certainly does....

For those with a strong interest in qually, the most critical cut, I think, is to cut the last chicane in front of the start. Even though your outlap gets disqualifyied, it does not disqualify the timed lap afterwards.

...I prefer "at least two wheels on the track at all times" regardless of the track...

I think we all do and I trust in everyone of us. :D This way we don't need any controlling by the admin.

We could then turn off the Flag Rules for any and all tracks and not receive a Stop N Go penalty when avoiding a disaster and having to "cut the grass"...

A good idea to avoid Stop & Go, but it would also disable blue flags, right? If blue flags are disabled, there could be critical missunderstandings between the lapping driver and the driver in front.

For those with a strong interest in qually, the most critical cut, I think, is to cut the last chicane in front of the start. Even though your outlap gets disqualifyied, it does not disqualify the timed lap afterwards.

You're right, but I'd never think about using such tricks and I'd never expect anyone of us to do so. That's why I don't worry and don't care about such opportunities.

In general we all shouldn't worry much about possible "unfair" behavior, because we all aim for the same goal - clean and fair racing. :wink:

Interestingly in the new Imola 2008 circuit that comes with Race-On the old chicane that a lot of people used to cut has been changed with a much sharper right hand turn and no "straight" line through it anymore.

At the same time the last chicane is gone and is replaced by a very long start finish straight. Makes a nice refreshing change to this well-worn track.

I think we all do and I trust in everyone of us. :D This way we don't need any controlling by the admin.

Yes I agree. I think we are truly blessed to have such a fine group of racers who respect the rules of the track and most importantly each other.

I was only responding to the question Nico raised regarding this track being self-regulatory in nature for cuts and wides. I couldn't help myself in voicing my same tired old opinion that the same rule/ guideline should be applied to all tracks; a broken record on this subject.

A good idea to avoid Stop & Go, but it would also disable blue flags, right? If blue flags are disabled, there could be critical missunderstandings between the lapping driver and the driver in front.

You are most likely correct. In the past Presto has run the downloaded Hungoraring without the Flag Rules due a glitch with the track. It made me think of this possibility to avoid those silly Stop N Go penalties both Imola and Monza at least are infamous for.

...In the past Presto has run the downloaded Hungoraring without the Flag Rules due a glitch with the track. It made me think of this possibility to avoid those silly Stop N Go penalties both Imola and Monza at least are infamous for.

Speaking only for me, I only can tell, that I didn't have this problem. Most likely because I don't drive of in huge bunch of cars. But I know this problem from earlier public server races and I understand how frustrating it is to get a Stop & Go only because you left the track to avoided a crash.
If you and other drivers experienced this sometimes and it is frustrating for you, we should discuss it in an extra thread, so this should stay the setup thread. We could then value the pros and cons of disableing flag rules...

In the start of this discussion I was not aware that there is time to be gained through cutting certain corners and chicanes. It seemed to me that the curbs was too high to gain time through going over them. However, after some more practice I see that there is time to be gained, especially in the last two chicanes. Therefore I agree that we need to respect the white lines here. But it does as always come down to the gentleman thing :)

As for drive through penalty, for me it seems you can receive a warning if you go off track, but only if you make a "too competitive" move back on track. I feel quite confident I will not receive any stop'n go penalties at least (will i not look stupid if I end up receiving one:) ). Iow I think the value of the blue flag and the automated pit speed penalty system outweights the warning problem just described.

It's difficult to make even a moderately competitive qualy lap on this track without slipping off the line. I speak from experience. The car jumps and bounces so damn that you can churn butter if you carry a little cream in the cockpit:)

It's difficult to make even a moderately competitive qualy lap on this track without slipping off the line. I speak from experience. The car jumps and bounces so damn that you can churn butter if you carry a little cream in the cockpit:)

nice bread butter and marmalade:tongue:like when I was a child ( yesterday :wink: )

now seriously, along my home test is really annoying receive drive-through for avoid an incident( for example) if the track is so these are the rules. I dont like but I have to respect:).

From driving this track maybe thousands of laps over different classes, I can say there are many situations where you will receive a stop n go instead of a warning. I think being fully race-prepared is very important to avoid these situations.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back