Season 5

Sounds cool Nico,

The turning off of mechanical failures sounds like a good plan, after Chris's recent discovery into the effects of engine health on handling as well as power it seems a bit unfair that you can be dealt a dodgy car through no fault of your own, it is weird that you can start the race with engine health at considerably less than 100% and there's nothing you can do about it:confused:

With them turned off tho, does this mean we could all run with Rad at 1 and smoke like chimneys without any ill effects? I have no idea? maybe a little testing would be advisable

Jim

If you start a session with engine health at, let's say, 25% percent instead of 100% this doesn't mean the engine is less good. It's just a mistake in the game. Starting at 25% the engine will crawl back to 0% 4x slower.

To answer your question about the radiator: No this does not mean you can run engine rad at 1. Mechanical failures are a random parameter in the game that have nothing to do with overheating. IMO a very good choice to switch it off in online racing leagues, since disco's and game freezes are already more than enough for random failures.

If you start a session with engine health at, let's say, 25% percent instead of 100% this doesn't mean the engine is less good. It's just a mistake in the game. Starting at 25% the engine will crawl back to 0% 4x slower.

To answer your question about the radiator: No this does not mean you can run engine rad at 1. Mechanical failures are a random parameter in the game that have nothing to do with overheating. IMO a very good choice to switch it off in online racing leagues, since disco's and game freezes are already more than enough for random failures.

Ok fair enough:) there are many things about this game/mod that seem odd and I don't fully understand, the main one being "why can't I go any faster!!":wink::tongue:

Jim:)

Jim

I believe there are many drivers are struggling with their set ups, so my suggesting is if someone from top drivers who knows a lot about the set up, example like Arno or Ventis or some others top drivers, if they can put together a user manual for the set up to explain how to use the: Anti roll bar, Toe-in, springs, packers, ext…. Wings and splitter: how to use, someone told me that every 4 at the rear is = 1 in the front, is it true

I have looked for setup threads for F1 but found nothing, to my disappointment. I have PM'ed two guys asking for an example of one of their setups but I got no reply :(

In "iRacing" the guys there discuss setup for each race within a season. They freely post setups and information about setups. This in spite of it being points based racing. I would hope we could do something like that here. I know some guys are afraid of giving away setup secrets that they are gaining advantage from. I think mostly it would help the people who have no idea which way to go with setup.

It is very frustrating to be 2-5 seconds off the pace and have no idea if some of that is because your setup is completely wrong. When you try to make changes you just seem to make things worse - even if trying to follow the setup guide. You can get the feeling that it just "isn't fair" that some people are driving great cars and others pigs, although they are supposed to be equal. In the end frustration can make people stop racing.

I would suggest a setup sub forum with a general thread and a thread per race/track. People can talk about setup, what times they are running in practice for the upcoming race, post setups. It would be a great place for people to get to know other drivers and a great opportunity for experienced setup guys to experience the joy of helping others.

Graham,

Please don't take this as negative critisism because it isn't. What it is is me telling you what I have learnt. Fair enough, I am still at least two seconds slower than the guys that qualify in first but I'm a pretty fast midfield competitor.

So here goes:

Setup is 10% of speed. 90% of getting a good lap time is down to doing a lot of laps and getting used to the car. That and driving style.

Yes, if the setup sucks you aren't going anywhere near the front but amongst the top 5 guys there is very little in setup and a lot more in driving style.

My advice would be to at least sort out the gears for a particular circuit since the default setup is usually hopeless in that respect. Then start doing long runs without trying to be on the limit each lap. The idea is to get a feel for the car. Some adjustement can then be made to the setup.

Something that is key to these cars is being smooth on the accelerator and brakes. Don't flatten the go pedal out of a corner. You will only loose the rear. When you brake release brake pressure as you get closer to the turn in point.

This mod isn't one where you can turn up on the day and think you are going to be on the podium. It takes practise. It took me almost an entire season to come good so be patient. Sometimes you have to go slower to be fast.

Graham,

:

Setup is 10% of speed. 90% of getting a good lap time is down to doing a lot of laps and getting used to the car. That and driving style.

Yes, if the setup sucks you aren't going anywhere near the front but amongst the top 5 guys there is very little in setup and a lot more in driving style.

My advice would be to at least sort out the gears for a particular circuit since the default setup is usually hopeless in that respect. Then start doing long runs without trying to be on the limit each lap. The idea is to get a feel for the car. Some adjustement can then be made to the setup.

Something that is key to these cars is being smooth on the accelerator and brakes. Don't flatten the go pedal out of a corner. You will only loose the rear. When you brake release brake pressure as you get closer to the turn in point.

This mod isn't one where you can turn up on the day and think you are going to be on the podium. It takes practise. It took me almost an entire season to come good so be patient. Sometimes you have to go slower to be fast.

i concur 100%

Graham,

Please don't take this as negative critisism because it isn't.

My advice would be to at least sort out the gears ..
Then start doing long runs without trying to be on the limit each lap..

Something that is key to these cars is being smooth on the accelerator and brakes..

This mod isn't one where you can turn up on the day and think you are going to be on the podium.

I dont take it as negative criticism. All the stuff you write is valid and good points, but you have both missed the mark as far as I am concerned ;)

I never turn up with less than 4 hours track time before the race. I always go out with about 3/4 race fuel and run lap after lap, focusing on getting the line right and trying to approach the limit. Re setup I start out with the gears etc.

I almost never spin on exit, if anything I am too soft on the gass, and I lift the brake while turning in.

I certainly don't expect to turn up and get on the podium!

I don't expect to get a setup off someone at the front and suddenly be driving at the front!

I have a reasonable setup that I have worked on since starting with the mod 6 months ago. But sometimes I feel I should be able to improve it and I am not sure of the direction to move in. I want to discuss where to go with springs, dampers and other stuff. And for example how to understand the setup editor with its adjustment scales and extra settings.

So please understand that my post about setup threads and discussing setup are valid points too. :)

Okay cool :)

So onto "what I've learned - episode 2"

The setup of one driver won't always work for another unless they have the same driving styles. It's a balance thing. Every driver sets the car up to behave in a way that they prefer. A rear that is more loose vs a front end that slides more. Brake bias more to the rear etc.

As I mentioned, the first step in my opinion is to get the gears sorted and then the wings.

With regards to the wings it's roughly a 1 to 4 ratio in terms of front wing vs rear.

Now the tricky part (as you have learned) is the suspension settings. What effect does it have if I change this vs that.

Dude, I haven't the foggiest. All I know is that the more bumpy the circuit the softer the springs.

While I know what rebound and damping is I'm not sure as to the effects they have. I mean I know what those settings do in the real world but I don't know what the consequences of increasing or decreasing their values are.

I started off with GTR2 and read a setup guide that I found somewhere on the web. It is a sort of a walk through to setting up a touring car using Motec logs.

The only thing I remember from it was that the camber of the wheels and the pressure of the tyres should be such that the insde temperature should be higher than the outside (this guy reccomended a difference of 5 degrees celcius) and the center temp shold fall in between the two.

Sring settings also play a part in tyre temps as the more a tyre is in contact with the road the hotter it becomes. I'm pretty sure that spools back to damper settings too but it also affects stability.

In my experience the spring rates etc at the rear is usually higher than the front but that may just be me.

I'm thinking of getting around to writing some basic setup pointers I've discovered over the course of last season probably next weekend. I won't release everything but just enough to get the guys who seem a bit stuck on how to get additional speed from the car unstuck.

Graham,

So here goes:

maybe sometimes is a lot more than 10%..... it happens to me same track same temps.....with a lot of training i did a nice time......after 4 or 5 weeks i did again that track but this time i had another set (ones of the top guys that knows how work on them) and really i didn't any training on it (less then an hour) and i did a time that was more than 1 second more fast!!!! so sometimes setup could do the different IMHO!!! ;)

( i did also some laps with my ex setup and i was still slow, so it wasn't an improve on my skill that makes that 1 second difference) ;)

I would suggest a setup sub forum with a general thread and a thread per race/track. People can talk about setup, what times they are running in practice for the upcoming race, post setups. It would be a great place for people to get to know other drivers and a great opportunity for experienced setup guys to experience the joy of helping others.

As a matter of fact this is very close to what is planned for next season.

As many know the setup of the F1-mod does not reflect RL-setup very well. In particular the tyre temps does not make sense, and since it is the tyre temps that to a large degree are used to analyse the setup... well, then we are left with a trial and error method.

From the start (season beta) until season 3 there was a lot of openness around the setups, but this disappeared last season, at the same time as we changed to the f1-mod. In my eyes that was a step backwards and we hope to re-introduce the openness for next season, probably through a setup thread for each race.

I think the majority of the racers would prefere to hep out those slower than themselves, thus creating closer and more exciting racing for themselves.

While I know what rebound and damping is I'm not sure as to the effects they have. I mean I know what those settings do in the real world but I don't know what the consequences of increasing or decreasing their values are.

http://upload.lfsmanual.net/images/1/1c/Sus5.gif

This page has some quick info about the effects. It's for LFS but I think it should be the same for everything. Hope it helps :)

Edit: it's for slow dampers I might add

Any news on the main details for next season so far?

I need to make my decision where to race next season, as my free time became shorter since starting my new job. That's why it seems most likely, that i want to sign up here, because i know the mod very well and wednesday evening is a very good race time, because the weekend are more important for social things now.

When is S5 supposed to start? How much races on? Still on wednesdays and still with MMG F1 2007 and evo?

thx in advance!

Congratulation for the new job Reik and I think that the FPES will have nine rounds since the FPPS will follow the FPES calender (not in time and day but on the tracks that they will have each round on).

As Nico say's in post#1 the season will most probably start at Spa in the begining of September (1st?) and run for 9 rounds (or maybe 10?)

It will be on Weds evenings at the usual time (Q at 20:00 GMT or BST whichever the uk is on at the time) using the MMG F1 mod again

Jim

The reason why it takes some time for us to open the sign-up is that we want to have a document describing what everybody needs to know ready.

I can update the first post with the provisional race calendar. If there are anything else anybody are wondering about then feel free to ask. Also, as I usually say, if you know you are the right kind of driver (u know what I mean) you will not be left outside if you want to participate, i.e. we make room for everybody.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 279 15.1%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 190 10.3%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 192 10.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 140 7.6%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 249 13.5%