Season 5 Race 8 Hockenheim: Weather

Hello everyone. No forecast yet. It will come on the standard time a week before the event. Will update this post.

But I get this thread started anyway becuase I want to have feedback and discussion about the temperatures. So far we have had the standard 20C always. But ahead of Abu Dhabi the issue was discussed a bit.

So, should we set the temperature loose or stay at the standard 20C?

--------------------

The first forecast for Hockenheim:

Many days are affected by rain this time of year in Hockenheim. The chance of rain falling sometime during a day is 60 %. Mostly lighter rain in either extended periods or showers.

The temperature will stay at the standard 20C for the rest of the season.

The next one is due on tuesday 30:th of November at 19:00 UTC (current UK time).

The schedule to be able to link the forecast to the sessions:

Day 1:
11:00 - Practice
14:00 - Qualifying

Day 2:
11:30 - Warmup
14:00 - Race

The second forecast:

Day 1: A cloudy day, with a small chance of some light rain.

Day 2: This day the clouds are expected to drop rain. It begins in the morning and is looking to endure to the evening, but the intensity may shift over the day between very light and up to medium.

i think it would be best to carry on the way weve been going this season tbh, enough of us are struggling already with tyre setups on a dry track never mind the dampness or rain, i think alot of guys would be at an even further disadvantage to the guys who are good with their setups already.

i vote for leaving as is with changable weather

I agree with David. In the future it is interesting, but the group is no stronger than the weakest link, so I say we wait until everybody are comfortable with the current setup, then we can maybe introduce more variables, such as temperature. This is obviously just my personal opinion, not a discussion killer :)

ok, I vote for 293 K :tongue:

Atm moment it's very rainy all over germany. I'm very curious about the weather man's anouncement.

btw, any problems with cutting at hockenheim? I still haven't been there with GTRevo.

ok, I vote for 293 K :tongue:

Atm moment it's very rainy all over germany. I'm very curious about the weather man's anouncement.

btw, any problems with cutting at hockenheim? I still haven't been there with GTRevo.

Needed to think twice there :) 293,15 K to be exact :)

Anyhoo, I have done a few laps, and I have not noticed any particular cutting problem on this track. But it is a place in sector 3 where it is easy to run wide. All that have tried the track knows where this is :)

Needed to think twice there :) 293,15 K to be exact :)

Yes indeed... :redface: (Didn't want to make it too difficult)

Anyhoo, I have done a few laps, and I have not noticed any particular cutting problem on this track. But it is a place in sector 3 where it is easy to run wide. All that have tried the track knows where this is :)

I should have said, that I mean places, where it's easy to go wide and break the RD-white-line-rule. I thought about real life, where all drivers tend to leave the track on the outside of the first corner.

And I bet you mean leaving the track outside between second last and last corner, right?

I should have said, that I mean places, where it's easy to go wide and break the RD-white-line-rule. I thought about real life, where all drivers tend to leave the track on the outside of the first corner.

And I bet you mean leaving the track outside between second last and last corner, right?

Yes, forgot about the first turn :) And yes, i was thinking about the turn you mentioned.

I think a better solution to the cutting/running wide problem would be to just decide it in the drivers meeting, so that each track had it's own set of rules in a way. But now that we started with this 100% rule I guess we have to see it through the season.

The main objectice is of course to avoid that we have some drivers that doesn't cut while others does. But the more that is allowed the better it is, because quite frankly the Race Director have no time to check if drivers follow this rule, nor does he want to instruct the drivers to check this, because that would take a lot of extra time for everybody :)

there are at least 5 corners on this track that are cuttable or easy to run wide to make up huge amounts of time, i observed a guy do exactly this last night to set a 1.13.2 :(

And as you have already experienced, the Race Director does not have time to delete times that are not ok. Therefore stuff like what David here reports is a little problem.

The green part of a track is a track part.
Such problem is in the first turn in Hockenheim and in last turn in Montreal, at the Wall of Champions. In real races for it punishments aren't present

Regards
Vodkaman

Partially I agree with Vodkaman, but I wouldn't say it in general. Of course at the last turn of Montreal, you should be allowed to go to the wall, also by leaving the white lines a bit. But I think this is a special place, where the wall limits it for all drivers the same way. So it's easy for the community to say "this is ok" before an event and no one gets the feeling that some drivers benefit more than other ones.

But what will you do, if you come to a track, where those green areas are too wide and the sence of racing on a predifined race track gets lost. Than you'll see drivers, who try to stay inside the white lines (at least with two wheels - golden RD-rule) because they find it the main challenge to do so and you'll see drivers, who try to drive the best possible lap time using every kind of surface also next to the real track, as long as it's fast. I don't want to say, that those drivers behave unfair, because real race drivers also do this. But also in real life, the driver community or/and the race director agree, what kind of cutting or leaving the track is ok and what is not.

Of course in real life it is checked very strictly then. But they drive for millions of dollars but we drive for fun!

So if we agree about some things before an event, I'm sure everyone here is so gentle to do so. Nico is absolutely right to say, that he'll never check those things and I also trust in our friendly community.

My vote is that we allways try to stay within the white lines with at least to wheels with the addition, that it isn't called breaking the rules if someone completely leaves the whith lines only by some inches just using the full curbs. I think about places like the outside curb of the fast right hander entering the arena in the last sector. It's possible to leave the white lines if you go full on the curb, but it is very much limited by the track itself, because after the curb there's grass. But going very wide between second last and last corner isn't ok anymore.

I wrote very much but I hope you understand what I mean. This should be discussed in a new drivers meeting thread, where in the end Nico makes the call what kind of leaving the track is ok and what isn't.

Partially I agree with Vodkaman, but I wouldn't say it in general. Of course at the last turn of Montreal, you should be allowed to go to the wall, also by leaving the white lines a bit. But I think this is a special place, where the wall limits it for all drivers the same way. So it's easy for the community to say "this is ok" before an event and no one gets the feeling that some drivers benefit more than other ones.

But what will you do, if you come to a track, where those green areas are too wide and the sence of racing on a predifined race track gets lost. Than you'll see drivers, who try to stay inside the white lines (at least with two wheels - golden RD-rule) because they find it the main challenge to do so and you'll see drivers, who try to drive the best possible lap time using every kind of surface also next to the real track, as long as it's fast. I don't want to say, that those drivers behave unfair, because real race drivers also do this. But also in real life, the driver community or/and the race director agree, what kind of cutting or leaving the track is ok and what is not.

Of course in real life it is checked very strictly then. But they drive for millions of dollars but we drive for fun!

So if we agree about some things before an event, I'm sure everyone here is so gentle to do so. Nico is absolutely right to say, that he'll never check those things and I also trust in our friendly community.

My vote is that we allways try to stay within the white lines with at least to wheels with the addition, that it isn't called breaking the rules if someone completely leaves the whith lines only by some inches just using the full curbs. I think about places like the outside curb of the fast right hander entering the arena in the last sector. It's possible to leave the white lines if you go full on the curb, but it is very much limited by the track itself, because after the curb there's grass. But going very wide between second last and last corner isn't ok anymore.

I wrote very much but I hope you understand what I mean. This should be discussed in a new drivers meeting thread, where in the end Nico makes the call what kind of leaving the track is ok and what isn't.

The only way I can tell that I didn't write this post myself (apart from the fact that it sais that Reik is the author) is that it is so well written and ariculated.

I'll open a drivers meeting thread where we can discuss what is allowed and what is not in regards to cutting and running wide and other stuff if needed.

Sorry for stealing your thread Daniel, you can have it back, we'll move this to the drivers meeting :)

I have updated the first post with the first forecast.

Regarding the temp: it will stay at 20C. The voice of the presto drivers has spoken. It would be too much with variable temperatures at the moment. And it's good for me at this race, because now I dont have to find a way to make the rain fall as snow :wink: . Jokes aside, it would be a bit strange to mimic the current temps in November in Germany, and then race on it! Too cold for racing really. If we would do variable temps in the future we could fix that by changeing the virtual time of year to a month more suitable for racing.

Thank you Daniel. I'll bring a brolly in-case.

As for the temps and any variations; as long we know what the mins/ max are I am thinking we can set a safe yet competitive Engine Duct setting. What is most important is that someone does not get an engine failure because of the wrong Duct Setting and thus lose enthusiasm. Perhaps you can state what Enhine Duct setting is required in your weather report? A thought. :)

I don't know if track temperatures affect the engine temp or if that is only the ambient temperature. Having the track grip evolve throughout the race is cool IMO. :)

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 74 7.1%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 109 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 150 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 286 27.6%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 414 39.9%