season 5 race 1@ spa- setup thread

My technique is very simple. I use the separate G25 gear shift for brake balance. This may be a Kurt idea, forgive me Kurt. When I move the lever forward I get more brake in front and if I move it back I get less brake on front wheels. When the tires become warn down it´s usually a good idea to adjust the brakes so you don’t lose the rear when braking and turning. I’m sure you guys can figure out some more ways to use the brake balance lever. When you are braking for the under-steer turn Rivage you may want some extra grip in front, but I don’t use it on every lap only when I feel that the balance have changed due to bad rubber status.

Here's the setup is was using before I tried Anthony's, it's very similar to the one described as a "Joke" elsewhere in the forum

I have achieved a low 43 with it so it cant be too shabby

I'd be interested to hear if it is in fact that bad, maybe it will suit someone?

Jim

Attachments

• f1 mr bspa#1d7.svm
    2.5 KB · Views: 252
im not gonna try it as im happy with anthonys and keep getting faster and faster with it, but.... i can tell it wont be bad if there is such a thing as a bad setup, to me most of the setup is personal preference and no two drivers will like everything about a particular setup, even with anthonys ive changed a couple of things to suit my preference, like lower front and rear arbs and steering lock, and i wouldnt worry about the "joke" comment, just from a very narrow minded individual who thinks the sim community owe him something, his view point is exactly that, HIS view, i dont see anyone agreeing with him.

Here's the setup is was using before I tried Anthony's, it's very similar to the one described as a "Joke" elsewhere in the forum

I have achieved a low 43 with it so it cant be too shabby

I'd be interested to hear if it is in fact that bad, maybe it will suit someone?

Jim

it will be interresting to try your set up Jim , i do not know about this " Joke ??" thing, but all i know is that i use to get great setups from u back in f3000 season...

You're an evil genius, Anthony. You're setup is AMAZING. Thank you so much man.

good to hear it worked for you as well Dany, still I am not sure about this genius thing as this setup was born from the input " tips and ideas" of every member in the team, and I believe when setups of many drivers become more public then we are going to see more genius stuff here, and then the real competition will begin as Vodkaman mentioned in his post:)

good to hear it worked for you as well Dany, still I am not sure about this genius thing as this setup was born from the input " tips and ideas" of every member in the team, and I believe when setups of many drivers become more public then we are going to see more genius stuff here, and then the real competition will begin as Vodkaman mentioned in his post:)

Absolutely true! Thank you very much for starting this thread. We (Jere, Kimmo, Denis and me) also were talking about releasing our setups to calm down the secrecy debate a bit, but you were a little faster. :tongue:

Now here's our "genius" :cool: input. The base setup for my posted one is an absolutely fantastic setup by Jere! (thx mate) I change little thing to get it a bit more beasty. I like faster turn in mentality and a looser ass.
With the "Jere-Reik-setup" i made a 1:41:659 on the presto server.

Yesterday evening i tested Anthonys great setup from the first post. The relations of some parameters seem to be similar to our setup, but in some other important things it has different values. It's amazing to see the different strategies which finally result in a similar laptime.
With the "AquaVista-Reik-setup" i made a new PB 1:41:574.
I only had to move the brake balance forward from 53% to 56% to avoid my ass overtaking me at bus stop turn in (you see i brake late into corners). Also i used my gear settings and had to adjust the steering lock to my preferences (15°).
I think steering lock depends ever on your controller, so you ever need to look at it. I must say that Anthonys setup is a bit quicker, but also a bit more tricky to drive. But i like the oversteering tendency.

Finally I think i'll stay with our setup, but this thread offers a great opportunity to see different things. I hope that our setup also helps some drivers and i'm glad to see that this thread makes the community more friendly and brings it all down on everyones driving skills (not setup skills).

:banana: :banana: :banana:

If someone likes to see the best laps, just pm me your e-mail...

Attachments

• AquaVista-Reik-F1.svm
    2.5 KB · Views: 246
  • Jere-Reik-F1 b.svm
    2.5 KB · Views: 253
Finally I think i'll stay with our setup, but this thread offers a great opportunity to see different things. I hope that our setup also helps some drivers and i'm glad to see that this thread makes the community more friendly and brings it all down on everyones driving skills (not setup skills).

:banana: :banana: :banana:

If someone likes to see the best laps, just pm me your e-mail...

Absolutely fantastic, thank you very much Reik, , if we keep going in this direction then I believe we are heading into a very interesting season.

I like the idea of Reik posting back the modified Aqua Vista setup that made him go a bit faster, and now with Arnos entire setup history available for everyone I believe things will get even more interesting, we are able to try different setups on track and the new aproach would make “ Brendan Crosby “ well explained setup document much more easy to understand …

i would like to mention here that Jere is a gentelman and never let me down when i asked him for tips or advice regarding setup .

I will try both of your setup Reik, I really doubt I will be able to go that fast but hopefully to be able to improve mine :):)

I plan to modify my document soon in order to explain these setups and get information to better mesh together because I've been going in a very different setup direction for the rear end that doesn't work quite as well.

These setups are interesting - they are certainly fast and some (including the one I got from Mark last night) are very stable, but almost all are qualifying setups, which to my mind is the least interesting. Also none are capable of carrying any fuel load. All, including the race setups, are extremely low. All bottom at the rear going up the hill and most likely on the right rear in Blanchemont.

All due respect guys, "bow_down", you guys are very fast and I am struggling to get anywhere near you, but I find it hard to believe that you want to try your chances for 33 laps around Spa with anything like these setups.

Do none of you do any practice with race fuel or are you too busy practicing for qually, and hoping to do fast times to get you into Division 1?

(Putting on my steel helmet and flameproof suit).

All due respect guys, "bow_down", you guys are very fast and I am struggling to get anywhere near you, but I find it hard to believe that you want to try your chances for 33 laps around Spa with anything like these setups.

Do none of you do any practice with race fuel or are you too busy practicing for qually, and hoping to do fast times to get you into Division 1?

We do in general focus too much on hotlaping, that is true.

Now that the race is close by I think you'll find more people on the 16 lap stint server (half a race, or a stint :)

Well I will be the first to say that I am not finding it easy to get rid of the bottoming. Stopping it bottoming in Eau Rouge I have found impossible as no matter how much I adjust ride height, spring stiffness, dampers or use packers the car still bottoms there. As you add height or stiffness the car just becomes more and more undriveable until it takes off :D.

Getting rid of (most of) the bottoming up the hill should be possible although the extra spring does compromise grip on the rest of the track and it is questionable whether you lose more there than you do bottoming up the hill. The problem at Blanchimont is a combination of maximum speed pushing the car down combined with the turn tipping the car to the right and compounded by a bump on the exit.

I have yet to find what I consider to be the right compromise between ground clearance and cornering performance.

Maybe I am too concerned with the car hitting the ground after all it is not uncommon to see sparks from the bottom of an F1 car.

I would be interested to see any race setups posted here.

I would post my attempted setup but to be honest I dont think it is worth anyone trying as it stands.

The problem at Blanchimont is a combination of maximum speed pushing the car down combined with the turn tipping the car to the right and compounded by a bump on the exit..

Try taking a tighter line on the exit of Blanchimont, that's what I do, you can avoid that bump and maintain your top speed, in my case 209mph, I find if I take the normal line (through the bump) I exit at about 206/7

You will need to use all of the available tarmac on the entry tho, so only recommended for hot laps

Jim

I spent way too much time trying to keep the thing from bottoming in Eau Rouge. You gain way more time from tuning the suspension for the other turns. All you can do is put in some modest packers to reduce the amount of time you're bottoming. Full elimination of the bottoming is impossible with a reasonable setup.

Try taking a tighter line on the exit of Blanchimont, that's what I do, you can avoid that bump and maintain your top speed, in my case 209mph, I find if I take the normal line (through the bump) I exit at about 206/7

You will need to use all of the available tarmac on the entry tho, so only recommended for hot laps

Jim

This is what I found too Jim, but sometimes you might go a little wide and hit that bump and I found the better clearance you have the less likely you were to "have a moment" when you do.

I spent way too much time trying to keep the thing from bottoming in Eau Rouge.
Yes, I wish I hadn't done that myself. ;) And I agree about the time gained elsewhere being greater.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back