SEASON 19 RACE 1 MELBOURNE - INCIDENTS REPORT

Only incident for me is this one with @N. Beathan , not fighting for position. But I was fighting Vidimari for position and lost it to this. Looks like Nace lost it exiting the corner and drifted onto the line I assumed I could take to pass you.

Accidents happen, not too upset :thumbsup:

Hey April, first of all sorry for that it was a pretty stupid accident from me, but what happened was I read in the rules you should let the car that is lapping you come close and then let them through and as you can see in the clip you got close in that corner so I wanted to move out and let you pass, I didn't expect you will move out of the racing line to pass me :(

But overall my racing was terrible in that race I just got very disappointed after race one, I am sure I would've got few positions more if there was no accident in turn 6. After few awful practice starts we had the real start that went great, I was happy where I was and didn't want to push or cause any incidents it all worked out perfectly for a while and in turn 6 I was good on brakes behind Valerio, but then something hit me from behind and my race went down the drain. It was Nicholas who apologized later and I am not mad at him, as April said accidents happen :) I also apologize to Cosimo as I think I made him lose some time in race 2. I actually knew this is the worst track on the calendar for me and I think my results proved that LoL ;)

Sorry for the ad and the bad sound quality, will use some other software next time hehe.

R1
@113. Thought Nicolas was going to spin my way, so I brake checked Tom. He couldnt react fast enough, causing him to spin.
@386. Artyom spun and I couldnt avoid him fast enough
@1208. Had a little spin on my own. Had one earlier causing my DFGT to shake down my house:D
Unfortunatly no other highlights to show. Hoped to have a little more pace. Race 2 , no incidents to report as far as I know

Race 1 -

Coming to the second last turn I was close behind, maybe 1 second or so but the group ahead closed up really fast and I went into Tom's rear, I dunno if he was turnign around already or if I caused it but behind me was another group who closed right up on me so I drove on or there wouldve been more incidents, within a few laps Tom was right on my tail again so mustve been like a half spin and save, hopefully not much harm done.

Race 2 -

No incidents thats I can remember

Hey April, first of all sorry for that it was a pretty stupid accident from me, but what happened was I read in the rules you should let the car that is lapping you come close and then let them through and as you can see in the clip you got close in that corner so I wanted to move out and let you pass, I didn't expect you will move out of the racing line to pass me :(
We've got different interpretations of that rule I guess (which happens!). As I took it to mean "when I'm close (within 0.5 seconds-ish) and attempting to pass, the slower car will help complete that pass (such as by lifting on a straight)". So I tried to use our speed difference to start a pass, trying to get a run around your right hand side exiting that corner with a confident exit. Then leave it up to you to make sure I'm through before the fast chicane starts later.

We all have different ideas of how best to do this. And I must confess, my attitude is probably coloured a lot by multi-class endurance as I've made VEC a very high priority over the last two years. Where non-position passes tend to still require you use your extra speed to complete passes, especially on slower classes. And I admit that's not necessarily the correct attitude for open wheel racing.

It's not always necessary for the slower car to go off line for non-racing passes to work. You can still 'let the faster car past' while they're off the normal line and you're on it. Just gotta handle it on a situation-by-situation basis, try to read what's going on and make a judgement call on how best to do it. :)

I won't chime in on what the 'correct' interpretation is more than this (though I welcome the other admins and members to correct me if I'm wrong :p). I don't know how much experience you've got, but after like 7 years of playing these racing games and almost 5 years at Presto I still feel like I'm learning new things. :D

Hopefully you didn't get any significant damage from the incident and still felt good for the rest of the race. I think you just narrowly avoided the wall? I didn't have any remarkable damage, I set my fastest lap of the race after that incident.:)

We've got different interpretations of that rule I guess (which happens!). As I took it to mean "when I'm close (within 0.5 seconds-ish) and attempting to pass, the slower car will help complete that pass (such as by lifting on a straight)". So I tried to use our speed difference to start a pass, trying to get a run around your right hand side exiting that corner with a confident exit. Then leave it up to you to make sure I'm through before the fast chicane starts later.

We all have different ideas of how best to do this. And I must confess, my attitude is probably coloured a lot by multi-class endurance as I've made VEC a very high priority over the last two years. Where non-position passes tend to still require you use your extra speed to complete passes, especially on slower classes. And I admit that's not necessarily the correct attitude for open wheel racing.

It's not always necessary for the slower car to go off line for non-racing passes to work. You can still 'let the faster car past' while they're off the normal line and you're on it. Just gotta handle it on a situation-by-situation basis, try to read what's going on and make a judgement call on how best to do it. :)

I won't chime in on what the 'correct' interpretation is more than this (though I welcome the other admins and members to correct me if I'm wrong :p). I don't know how much experience you've got, but after like 7 years of playing these racing games and almost 5 years at Presto I still feel like I'm learning new things. :D

Hopefully you didn't get any significant damage from the incident and still felt good for the rest of the race. I think you just narrowly avoided the wall? I didn't have any remarkable damage, I set my fastest lap of the race after that incident.:)

Heh, yes definitely we interpreted it differently for me helping someone pass you is moving of the line. I simply did so with everyone in race one and two and never had an issue so I thought it would be unfair to block your fastest line. The real issue I think is the fact you were so much faster than me and didn't get a chance to react to me trying to limp out of your way. You definitely cannot be blamed for tryin to pass a slower car but I don't think I made to much of a mistake either. Anyways it is great to hear you had a great race after, and don't worry this crash had no damage for me and as you saw I didn't lose any time either. Sorry once again and hopefully next time we react more carefully :)

We've got different interpretations of that rule I guess (which happens!). As I took it to mean "when I'm close (within 0.5 seconds-ish) and attempting to pass, the slower car will help complete that pass (such as by lifting on a straight)".

The object of this rule was to make it so that the slower car didn't have to make any unpredictable moves off the racing line or to suddenly dive off track as we used to see quite regular. The main idea is that in a situation like you both found yourself in where it was hard for Nace to suddenly let you pass with the speed diffrence is that Nace would've stayed on his present course (taking the corner as normal) and that April would initiate the pass on the outside, this would minimise any time lost for both parties and would allow the faster car to pass in a normal way without having to predict which side to take.

The object of this rule was to make it so that the slower car didn't have to make any unpredictable moves off the racing line or to suddenly dive off track as we used to see quite regular. The main idea is that in a situation like you both found yourself in where it was hard for Nace to suddenly let you pass with the speed diffrence is that Nace would've stayed on his present course (taking the corner as normal) and that April would initiate the pass on the outside, this would minimise any time lost for both parties and would allow the faster car to pass in a normal way without having to predict which side to take.

Thanks for the clarification David! I will keep that in mind for future.

Sorry for late report, got the flu just after the race, recovering slowly...
Here's what I remember from Race 1 lap 1 (no other incidents than this first lap of the first track) :
- bumped into @N. Beathan at T6 braking. My fault, sorry, did not expect that he was braking so early. I waited for him in the gravel...
- was kind of forced into @MOOOOOOOOOSCHT who was regaining track after T12

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 310 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 212 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 207 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 157 7.8%
  • < 5 years