SEASON 14 RACE 5 - MONTREAL - INCIDENTS REPORT

Race:
After about 15mins or so I had an encounter with Sean after the long straight.

I came out with DRS to the inside of turn1. I thought for sure I was clearly in front as I had a good overrun last time he was on screen; I was infact exactly alongside says the replay Oo.
I braked early to be able to take this one slow enough to have some room left. But Sean took the turn quite quick and I tapped him somewhere on the side.

I'm sorry this happened. Had I not thought I was much more ahead, I would have waited since the incident wasn't as clear as I thought.

I still think though that taking the turn slower from the outside would have worked out.

As a self-penalty, I'll still let you by in the beginning of one of our next races, preferably the next one.
You can remind me of that if you like :D

Despite three big crashes, I had fun, and had (relatively!) fast consistent pace. On lap 2 or 3 I was shunted from behind as I broke for the hairpin. Viewing the replay, after being hit I was catapulted at around 160mph into @Mark Breslin - sorry Mark, but I was as unaware as you. Hope your car (and heart!) didn't suffer too much. I drove on with the steering wheel shaking like a pneumatic drill for the next few laps. Lap 7 I managed to over take @Valerio Vinassa as we entered the final chicane. A slight touch caused me to spin - it was an accident Vale, so no problem :) I waited for everyone to pass before spinning my car round and somehow entered the pit lane! I managed to catch and overtake a few before having a great tussle with @Steve Combey......before spinning head on into a wall and damaging my front wing and steering. My other half was already annoyed that I was 'late' so I reluctantly called it a day.

I spotted this in my race data, something rF2 is simulating.
pTvkCjJ.png

Comparison of my brake temps between the 2nd and last lap. The main thing to see here is that when the brakes are older they heat up and cool down quicker, and the temperatures vary more.

As we wear the brakes down, then that's less mass on the brakes to take that heat while we're still putting in the same energy. So we end up with these more rapid heat changes. I thought it was a cool detail in rFactor 2.

Edit I thought this was the race report thread, oops. :whistling:

Last edited:
I've had two incidents this race unfortunately:
1) @Phil Shillitoe - I went into the back of you at the hairpin. The situation was completely my fault of course but just to clarify my error - I couldn't really tell which line to take because of the bend leading up to the hairpin (making it hard to judge which line the driver ahead is going to take), so I guessed on the inside line, but unfortunately you were there too. I tried at the last minute to switch to the outside but I clipped your rear, so I'm sorry. Probably shouldn't have waited so long (even though it was only a few tenths of a second to make that decision) to switch back to the outside. So terribly sorry. I waited for you to get back ahead.

2) @Kurt Kjellin - I tapped you from behind in the final chicane just as Peter got past you, I waited for you to recover though (fortunately you didn't spin) and overtook you in the straight directly after, but I think I should have ceded that position now that I look at the replay. So I'll pay it back next race. I just didn't account for your loss of speed at the chicane, seeing as you were following Peter into it.

Two things that come to mind (except all solo-incidents, yeah this was not the best of mental sharpness nights. esp. due to the delayed race):

1: Tapped @Tim McIver in T2 at the very slowest point which made me wait behind him on the inside grass where he unfortunately slid out onto. I was a bit too eager there and should have played it safer by keeping margins for your high ping at such a tight place. Sorry mate.

2: Approaching the fast chicane (T8-T9? before hairpin) close behind @Nicolas Delamare I had my eyes for a couple of metres earlier brake point since so close behind but I either lost focus (very tired at such late time with no sleep the last exam period :( ) or Nico actually took me by surprise by braking 5-10 meters before my regular point. I think my front wing lifted you up a meter or so by that ram, I thought oh no, oh no, oh no! "Luckily" it seemed I got the worse effect of us two, you rocketeered away and eventually I got going too. I felt really bad about that one, so also didnt fight 100% with you in the later stages (only once during passing, must be said).

Do you guys also lose focus and concentration when you mess up? For me it becomes dangerous for everyone else afterwards since I cant think of anything else for quite some amount of laps!

Other than that I think all was clean. Me and @Tim McIver almost had a moment in last fast chicane but I think I defended ok and it was hard but clean?

I remember that Peter, I don't have the replay but I broke at the same point than before (I didn't struggle to find the right braking moment at T9) but it seems you've been taken by surprise because you hit me with more speed than a regular braking mistake, hopefully I just run on the run-off and all was OK !

I had a strange moment with someone (either Tim, Peter or someone else, didn't remember !) at the last chicane: he took the slipstream with DRS, went to my right and we ran to the braking point like that, without any movement.
So I forced him to brake on the dirty inside part of the track and when I pulled my car on the left to have a better entry he was again here and we touched !

So after that I took the little run-off between the kerb and the wall and that's all !

I had a strange moment with someone (either Tim, Peter or someone else, didn't remember !)

It was @Tim McIver, and it's just a little contact, 100% my fault, I thought he would have gone faster through the chicane.
Eventually when I overtook @Peter Decker (Lap 27 at 5 seconds), I run 4 wheels over the white line and regain the track.It's a fact, but I don't know how can it be judged !

Other thing: I can't see driver's name during the replay, why ?

It was @Tim McIver, and it's just a little contact, 100% my fault, I thought he would have gone faster through the chicane.
Eventually when I overtook @Peter Decker (Lap 27 at 5 seconds), I run 4 wheels over the white line and regain the track.It's a fact, but I don't know how can it be judged !

Other thing: I can't see driver's name during the replay, why ?

I didn't think much about you going wide more than being impressed what an effective move it was :thumbsup: It felt like you had the move covered "anyway" but still I guess it was pretty impossible for me to defend if you took such a wide line that it exceeded maybe a whole meter outside the line. I need to check the replay again. Hard to judge in such a forgiving corner.

I'm not sure about the labels - do they show when you run external camera? Have you set the button to toggle labels?

I remember that Peter, I don't have the replay but I broke at the same point than before (I didn't struggle to find the right braking moment at T9) but it seems you've been taken by surprise because you hit me with more speed than a regular braking mistake, hopefully I just run on the run-off and all was OK !

I checked the replay yesterday. We had a lot different approaching-style to that corner. I can see that your tyres were better preserved ;) But still, I actually didn't brake earlier as I intended to, so I think I lost some focus there :( Glad you recovered as good as possible I guess tho.

labels are just driver nametags Nicolas :thumbsup:

looking at t1 a few times I think this ended up with a fair pass, looks to me that nicolas just outbraked himself slightly but from his incar replay it actually looks like he hasnt crossed the white line much at all, from above you can see the slight wide but for me its nothing as it looked like both had a small moment during braking.
when I first read the posts I thought Nicolas had went around the outside at t1 and went wide to complete the pass, this wouldve been a no no, passing by going offtrack is not fair, but this seemed fair and reasonable and no incidents caused so all good?

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back