Season 14 Race 3 Bahrain - Setup Thread

Yes, I'm faster too with MDF on qualy lap and safer in HDF for race pace.If I find a correct setup and am enough confident on myself I might choose the MDF.
Question about that: can we make the quali lap on MDF, left the game and come back witht the HDF for the race ?
Anyway with 60% closed brake duct and brake engine on 2, I broke my front-left brake after 40 minutes.

i need some tips on tyre wear guys, either the setups im using or my general style is not well suited to keeping the tyres alive for long periods, what should i change in either to help me?

i need some tips on tyre wear guys, either the setups im using or my general style is not well suited to keeping the tyres alive for long periods, what should i change in either to help me?

Reduce the camber is helpful to reduce the sliding of the car, and so the wear.It helps me a bit.I presume front tires are more a problem that rear right ?

Anyway if you drive in race like in quali, you will never make a 1 stop race.You set the absolute maximum downforce (I saw that in China with your top speed about 278 km/h on the backstraight when I could go to 292 !), and so you litterally absorb all your tire energy very quickly.
And you carry ton of speed in corner's entry, but too much I think ! You just have to reduce your pace and change your driving style.

PS: for the 3rd time, after 45 minutes and 40% brake duct, front left have decided to DNF ! :poop:
I'm really...worry !

yup fronts are the main problem, my style has always been to turn in early and use the understeer to make apex's, thats still working to be fast over 1 or 2 laps in rfactor2 but over a distance its not, i'll try some of your suggestions i.e cambers and downforce, regards downforce/wings what did you use at china?

In some turns (T13 in Shanghai, T6/T7 at Interlagos) you can really hurt you front tires when understeering because of the speed. In those turns you really need to avoid understeering as much as possible, and for that a technique is to open the wheel a little (ie reduce wheel angle) when you feel the understeering, and then, once you find the grip again (the wheel FFB becomes harder), you can increase the wheel angle a little without loosing the grip.

There are other sources of tire degradation (wheel spin, wheel blocking under braking, and slides) but those are easy to avoid.

When I've heard the sky f1 commentators about China, they always stressed the importance of letting the diff setting make a over-steering balance. On power out of corners I can see how that is made, but on corner entry?

I just noticed I've been using 380 degrees steering too, thats certainly not helping with understeer, can't even remember why I'd changed that, I was using 420 degrees for Melbourne and Sepang so that could be a big clue as to why my wear has went through the roof last 2 tracks.

Thanks for the suggestions too I'll try everything here :thumbsup:

On power out of corners I can see how that is made, but on corner entry?

On corner entry I would say that the higher rotation pace for the outer wheel gives the car more speed without turning too much the wheel, but I don't really understand that setting on the FR 3.5 (it's just theory), I just always put it on 35% for both power and brake and increase the preload to 0.5mm, for every track.And it makes the work...I think !

To illustrate what I said, here is the telemetry on me taking the T13 at Shanghai, during the race (lap 15). I "opened" the wheel twice, it has an immediate effect on tire temp (so on tire wear), but not on yaw speed...
telemetry.png

There are some specific corners on every track where it pays to slow down on entry even if you could take it faster. Reason is not only the tire temperture in this particular moment, but even moreso the fact that the tire doesn't properly cool down anymore afterwards.

Bahrain is quite easy on the front-tires, but the rears get used a lot with all the accelerating out of slower turns.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 285 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 192 10.3%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 192 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 140 7.5%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 250 13.4%